Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to run to be fit?

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
163 REPLIES 163

You absolutely do not have to RUN to be fit.  Fitness happens when your nutrition, body and mind are all working together optimally.  Achieving that FITNESS state can be accomplished in a myriad of ways.  So do what makes you smile and you'll find yourself FITTER, FASTER than trying to do what you think you "have to" to be fit.

Best Answer

I used to run too and then I stopped.  Work and kids always seemed to get my attention first.  But the good news is you can be fit without running and the classes, like Zumba, will keep you fit.  You might try a variety of exercise programs just to keep your interest up.  Also, if you work your muscles in a variety of different ways (pilates, yoga, zumba, combat, etc.) you will maintain, and maybe even expand your range of motion.  This is another dimension of fitness. However, I wouldn't give up running entirely since it is great aerobic exercise - maybe shorter more intense runs combined with your new fitness interests. You might even try some strength training.  Good luck.

Best Answer

No, no and nope.  I am getting fitter by walking more and going to the pool, where I walk back and forth using the weight of water as resistance training.  I do stretches in the pool, jump up and down and turn somersaults, none of which I can do on dry land.  Imagine a little old lady with a stick, here.  Some days, the only place I can walk is the pool, because the water helps to hold me up and I am less afraid of falling.  I do feel better for moving and I find that my diabetes is under better control for the exercise.

So, no, I don't run, but yes, I feel fitter.

Retired disabled, Charge5, Android, Win 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

Being fit is one of those phrases that means different things to different people. I've got a guy in my office; he's 6'2, about 175. He looks fit, but he probably can't do more than 10 push-ups. Maybe 20 if a gun was pointed at him. 

Another guy, about 6'4" with a gut that makes him look shorter - he can run 5 miles in a half hour, give or take a minute. 

Another still, is a diabetic, has already lost 3 toes but has better blood panel results than anyone else in the office. (It's a small office of 4) 

So, being fit has to be defined. 

Can you get fit without running? Yes. You could cycle. You could row. You could swim. 

Can you get fit without doing cardio? Likely not. That is, you can get in "shape" - but you likely won't be able to complete your c2 5k without discomfort unless you do cardio. 

So - the boredom factor - I get it. I understand it completely. I'm sure we all get bored. I am so very bored of looking for ways to not be bored, that I might as well embrace being bored just to avoid looking for ways to amuse myself! 

I recommend a podcast. Something you can listen to that will get your attention. A lot of people think they can only jog/run with music. But - try a podcast. You'll be amazed at how much farther you'll go while listening to something you find interesting. For me, that's what allowed me to go from an average step count of 7500 steps to 22500 steps. Listening to an 18 CD set of Frank Sinatra's life right now. Dude was a major nutcase, in my opinion. I don't know his music well enough to say he had talent, but with 1600 songs or so, I guess he did. Still, it's interesting. I got 30k steps last Monday hearing about it. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
Ukase: What does it take to be Physically Fit, simply, aerobic exercise
will make your Heart a more efficient pump. A runner's, or swimmer's, or
cyclist's heart is larger allowing it to pump more blood per beat, allowing
you to do more work and or activities without tiring out. Walking so many
steps without raising your heart rate to your specific aerobic training
zone for at least 30 continuous minutes are just steps and will not
increase your fitness, but may increase one's ego.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Well, you raise some interesting points. Aerobic strength is certainly a
dimension of fitness. I would also include anaerobic strength and
flexibility as additional dimensions of fitness. How fit should one be?
Everyone has to answer that for themselves. We all have different
limitations and aspirations. And what we do over here takes away from time
over there. I have met practitioners of yoga with tremendous cardiovascular
efficiency and anaerobic strength. I suppose there is something to be said
for overall resilience with regard to disease and injury in what
constitutes fitness as well. But then Fitbit has not added this to the app
yet.
Best Answer

@Waddle wrote:
I would also include anaerobic strength and
flexibility as additional dimensions of fitness.

Funny you’re mentioning this: I consider myself reasonably fit by many different criteria, but if there were a fitness checklist with boxes where all needed to be ticked and flexibility were one of them, this would definitely make me unfit Smiley Sad. I’m unflexible as it gets and not even trying to do anything about it, it’s just not my thing. I agree with you about our different limitations and aspirations.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I love cycling and I've always hated stationary bikes, so I just get out there in most weathers. I won't cyle in icy conditions, though, and in winter in the dark in driving rain it's no fun at all so I tend to avoid it! Your idea of using cycling videos on YouTube is a great way to avoid some of the boredom of cycling indoors!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would think to truly be fit, it needs to be a balance of all the things mentioned. Strength, aerobics, flexibility. However, to what level is different for many people. I know I personally need more aerobics and flexibility training to feel good. The flip side of this, I know a couple of ultra marathon runners, they looks very fit, but they are both constantly rundown and sick, they push there bodies too hard under the goal of ultimate fitness. We all just need to find a good healthy balance that works for your lifestyle and thus is maintainable.  

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
MarciM: I agree one of the first signs of over training is the immune
system begins to break down with symptoms of frequent colds accompanied by
a fever. One has to monitor their own body closely and recognize the signs
of over training, slow down or take a day or two off. The old adage of "
If some is good more is better" is a fallacy both for the health of the
body as a whole and the occurrence
of over use injuries. As a retired Physical Therapist I often told my
clients the most important thing to listen to is their own body, Never
train through pain and never run with a fever!
Best Answer

I subscribe to the thought that you don't run to get fit, you need to be fit to run. Far too many people try running to get fit and end up injured. But for so many runners, they wear injury like a badge of courage. Most rock climbers are insanely fit, yet most don't run at all. Find something you enjoy and prepare your body for it.

Best Answer

I love this response! Great perspective on what being fit is! I hike, a lot. I rarely run and I would be lucky to run three miles in under 24 minutes, but I am very fit. My high elevation gain on a single hike was over 10,000ft.

There are so many variables that define being fit. Yes physical activity is an important part, but you have to include proper eating habits, significant rest, etc.

Great point Agillies!

Best Answer

I agree with the posts I've seen. I've slowed down my running pace and mileage due to a foot issue, but I try to supplement that with rollerblading, walking, treadmill time (only if I have a show to watch and the weather is yucky), cardio and strength training CDs, biking, yoga and anything else that strikes me as either 'fun' or 'different' for that day.

Motivation is my issue and if I am not enjoying what I do or the variety of my workouts, then I lose interest. That, and I've heard that switching it up is good for you anyway!

Best Answer

As all the comments have said:  Yes, you can do other things and still be fit.  I guess one has to define "fit".  In the end it's really about feeling good about yourself and living a healthy lifestyle.  Swimming is an awesome exercise!  If you're bored, try a fitbit challenge and focus on beating someone (that should be motivation).  Good luck with your journey.

Best Answer

You don't have to run to be fit.  But one can get fit faster by running and having a proper diet.  

Best Answer
You may be correct if by "fitness" you mean cardiovascular efficiency.
However, there are other dimensions to fitness that are not necessarily
encompassed by running.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Morning blondie3384. Due to an automobile accident I suffered 5 years ago . Rehabilitated that and reinjured it when someone rear ended me I am no longer allowed to fun or do high impact sports . I am fortunate to have access to a pool which helps . Plus walk on my treadmill and during this time of the year am outside doing yard work in the Texas heat ( which hasn't come yet ) ! I really don't need the cardio as much as people who must include it in a weight loss program. I would recommend any HIT as it has worked for you before and also 5 short intervals of HIT would help boost your metabolism. Access to an indoor pool and spinning are two others I could recommend. Even though I don't run at all I still average 27-29 thousand steps daily. So running is not your only option. When i used to personal train people we always accessed their current situation plus their goal and their limitations to come up with that perfect storm of weight loss . Or weight loss and lean body tissue gain. 

Try differnt things that don't bore you and God Bless on your fitness goals!😀🏋🏼🌵🏃🏼‍:female_sign:

Best Answer

No, you do not need to solely run to get fit. There are several ways of activity to get fit. I think the best way to stick to something is if you enjoy it. If you enjoy the activity, you're more likely to keep doing it. I enjoy walking as my main activity, but I enjoy hiking too, and swimming. I like dancing to music. I like doing different exercises for the body. 

Best Answer
I think that your view of fitness matches mine. Do what you like and keep
moving in a variety of ways to challenge your body.
Best Answer

I don't feel you have to run to be fit you can go for simple walks and eat right to be fit

Best Answer
0 Votes