Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to run to be fit?

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
163 REPLIES 163

Capulet142: Good work and great results. You say you go slow, but you are averaging over 4-MPH, to go 6.2 miles in 90 minutes. That's moving at a brisk pace. Keep it up.

Best Answer

I have times when I want to run and I'm the mood for it and sometimes I just want to lift weights, or do HIIT circuits instead, etc.

As long as you're moving, and you move in different ways (not always lifting or not always running but a mix of different activirties) then, you will be fit!! 

There's more than one way to be healthy
Best Answer

blondie3384.  You do not have to run to be fit.  I ran for over 25 years, 6-7 miles everyday, I treated my Plantarfaciitis using OTC and buying shoes with a firm heel counter to control rear foot stability.  Bruce Bu stated Plantarfasciitis can not be cured, but it can be successfully managed, and I kept running.  I stopped running when it started to bother my knee.  I do not have OA of the knee or hip.  I keep my fitness level by rowing 3 days per week for 45 minutes, this keeps my Hyaline cartilage healthy, maintains the full range of motion in my knees and also strengthens the bodies core strength.  On the other 2 days I alternate between 45 minutes on a stationary bike followed by 30 minutes of weight lifting, and 45 minutes on an elliptical followed by another 30 minutes of weight lifting.  That is less than 3 hours per week to maintain one's fitness and well being.  After about 55,000 miles of running, not counting numerous 10 k races and 2 marathons I do not have any symptoms of OA in my hips or knees.  My keys to success have and always will be, listen to your body, and quality versus quantity.

I previously posted 3 article that found no relationship between running and OA, because there are too many other variables to be considered as likely causes of OA.  

Best Answer

Nope you don’t have to run. Just about anything can help you stay fit such as swimming, walking, ymca membership. Zumba, dancing ect.

Thomas (Atomic77) West Bend, Wisconsin: Fitbit Versa 2 and Aria Air Scale
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi!

Have you tried running in the early morning? You can also swim, or try other outside sports like tennis or soccer to be fit. Hope I can be helpful!

Best Answer

I used to mostly run but recently I have joined a gym and I attend group classes. Most of the gyms offer classes which are quite motivating and provides a little more organised workout. Especially if you just joined the gym very first-time such classes may help you to get familiar with the environment, equipment etc. Still, however, I prefer to run outdoors rather than on the treadmill and use the gym for other types of exercises.

Best Answer

I read this book a few years ago, that described the different between running and walking.  Trust everyone when they say you can walk and walk a lot more than you can run to stay healthy.  As a matter of fact, many people who run complain of joint pain at the very least.  Here is the name of the book:

Walking Off Weight: The Workbook: The 14-Day, 14-Step Program for Lasting Weight Loss

Author is : Robert Sweetgall - enjoy and keep walking!

Best Answer

@dennylou56, sorry, your information is either unsubstantiated or extremely biased.

A few comments in no particular order:

1. Anybody who says "you can walk and walk a lot more than you can run to stay healthy"  should not be trusted.  Why?  Because it simply isn't true.  Many dozens of studies over the last five or six decades consistently rank runners as one of the, if not "the" healthiest and fittest demographic.
  2. For decades it has been assumed runners incur more joint pain and/or injuries than walkers or sedentary individuals; over the last decade or so there have been a number of studies, the most compelling from a size perspective out of Finland, indicates older runners (as in 50 to 70 years old) suffer far fewer joint related issues and have a lower "all-cause" mortality rate than pretty much every other demographic.
  3. Building upon point number 2, a few other studies I've read have sought to explain why runners suffer fewer injuries than the general population in spite of the impact centric exercise they engage in.  While the jury is still out on this one, the most compelling study I read maybe ten years ago put forth the proposition it is the very impact which is the root of their joint health.  Per this study, the combination of the load-bearing impact and the various stresses the muscles exert on the femur causes the body to increase its production of Human Growth Hormone, and the HGH in turn is used to aid muscle, bone, and joint renewal/growth.

Long story short, folks who advocate walking over running typically don't have all of the facts.  That said, I absolutely understand running isn't for everyone, and I also subscribe to the old "you have to walk before you run" adage; if someone is sedentary and wants to get back into shape, moving directly from the couch to running is probably a very bad idea.

Best Answer
Thanks for the information. I will definitely take a look at this book.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney I have never said anything about plantar faciitis, just like I never said anything about any of your PT customers. You really should have your memory checked.

Best Answer
While I do not have at my fingertips all the studies on the long term
effects of various forms of exercise on health, my suspicion is that
practitioners of any form are probably healthier than the average bear.
That goes for yoga, weight lifting, running, swimming, martial arts
practice, etc., etc. One key to fitness is simply: do something and do
what you like. Some people like one over the other. So, if yoga is your
thing - do yoga. If swimming is your thing - do swimming. You are better
off doing something and you are more likely to do it if it is something you
like. Also, as far as I know there is no way to compare fitness
activities across these various modalities.
Of course, you could arbitrarily select some standard like resting heart
rate and determine that runners beat all. However, a top runner might fall
far short of the range of motion that the yogi is capable of. Flexibility
is certainly one element of fitness. Finally, diet is probably a greater
contributor to fitness than exercise forms. I suspect that a runner that
eats crap food, and a yogi that eats similarly, will ultimately succumb to
a variety of physical ailments from which she cannot be rescued by exercise.

So, eat well and do something and do what you like.
Best Answer

Brutal and not totally correct.

I have run for  years doing boxing and tennis.

I paid for it when a top surgeon in the UK did reconstruction of both my ankles. Caused by all the running.

Luckily the surgery was successful and l can still play tennis. He said to me in strong words walk and swim and cycle.

He does over 100 surgeries a year on runners with feet knees and hip problems.

I know we all love to keep fit and enjoy want we do whether sport gym or running and if we feel good it all helps.

We can all have different ideas but here to support  each other.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@healthysean wrote:

Brutal and not totally correct.

I have run for  years doing boxing and tennis.

I paid for it when a top surgeon in the UK did reconstruction of both my ankles. Caused by all the running.

Luckily the surgery was successful and l can still play tennis. He said to me in strong words walk and swim and cycle.

He does over 100 surgeries a year on runners with feet knees and hip problems.

I know we all love to keep fit and enjoy want we do whether sport gym or running and if we feel good it all helps.

We can all have different ideas but here to support  each other.

It is anecdotal comments like this which started the whole "runners get more injuries" legend.  The thing is, the studies debunk those legends by tracking literally thousands of subjects for decades.

Best Answer

Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Personal Info Removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
I totally agree! Well said. Running is the most efficient method of
obtaining aerobic fitness, least expensive( you only need a good pair of
running shoes that fits your style of running), you can run almost anywhere
and for me, when I ran I ran 365 days a year, just walked out my door and
ran multiple routes around my neighborhood. The same can be said for
walking but I don't believe walkers get their HR's high enough to obtain
optimal aerobic fitness.
Best Answer

dennylou56:  Don't believe it.  Running is the most efficient method of becoming fit.  Recent research as stated by shipo found runners have decreased effects of OA because of the running.  When runners land they land with about 3 times body weight, which squeezes out waste products from the hyaline cartilage, after landing when the leg is off the ground the effect is the hyalne cartilage sucks in fresh nutrients that keeps the cartilage healthy.  The author of your book is totally misinformed, biased, or has never been a runner.  Don't ever believe just one source just because it agrees with you.  Do more research and become informed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

healthysean:  Unfortunately you and your Dr. lack all the evidence on OA. " Etiology of OA is unknown, but appears to be the result of a complex system of interacting mechanical,biologic, biochemical and enzymatic feedback loops.  Among the causative factors include: congenital joint abnormalities, genetic defects, infectious, metabolic,endocrine and neuropathic diseases, acute or chronic trauma to the hylaline cartilage.  Long distance runners have no increase in OA compared with age and sex matched controls."  From The Merck Manual page 1339 Sixteenth Edition. 

Best Answer

Thanks for all the replies everyone - it's been really interesting to read everybody's views.

I just think I felt before that to be fit, you had to run.  I recently tried a different approach to running to try to improve my times, and to try and enjoy it more - and I now attempt to do interval training within it - so lots of sprinting followed by walking.  I still get frustrated when I don't see progress.  I've been poorly lately, so haven't done any form of exercise for about a month or so, and i'm feeling nervous about starting again on Monday.

I've been trying to come up with a weekly routine that is enjoyable, and achievable. 

I love doing body combat classes, and then I do a weights class and then a high intensity class.  I try to run 3 times a week as well, and then do some yoga on a Sunday.  I don't know if I am doing too much - but I like the social aspect of the classes and have lots of fun.

I'm signing up to a couple of organised big running events in 2018, so it's something to train for!

Best Answer

@blondie3384, I coach a lot of folks for both my company running club as well as a local community club; I can make some recommendations which will definitely improve your times, however, I do not believe in interval training for folks who don't already have a very large base of mileage, so if you're committed to that type of training I won't be of much help.

Best Answer

@shipo what would you suggest?  I don't cover big distances - we're talking 5-10k!  I'd love to be able to get my 5k time down.  I take part in a weekly Parkrun and then run 2 other times a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes