Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to run to be fit?

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
163 REPLIES 163

For Me it is simply getting up , then start finding things around the house to do all day . Income is limited , and till fall and heat and humidity drop , anything outdoors is a no go . So really my feeling on it , is just keep in the move forward mind set. I have my music going , and dance with whatever I am doing .

Best Answer
Just keep moving. Heat and humidity can take a toll.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Just keep moving. Heat and humidity can take a toll.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you get to a pool or a place that has a rowing machine?  Either workout will give you stamina, tone and raise your hr.  Good luck!

Best Answer

As you get older I find a variety of activities is key - my aim being functional fitness, rather than something like running a Marathon.

I used to exclusive run (8-10k) twice a week and do weights on off days. 

Now that knees, ankles and elbows are aching from repeated pounding, I've switched to mixing up workouts.  You could try a HIIT/tabata session, zumba/combat for cardio and agility, pick up a skipping rope and some gloves for some boxercise, even look at YouTube for inspiration once you get your confidence up, try the odd fitness video ( Insanity/P90x workout are challenging). I pretty much avoid hitting the pavement/treadmill now, but if you have access to a gym, a Versa climber is effective, and keep doing resistance/weight bearing exercises - when those get boring or easy, add elements of instability like TRX bands and kettlebells. 

Don't be afraid to do random classes, they're great for keeping your body off balance and continually adapting.

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree with you 100%. I am an older CPT and while I used to enjoy
running, I need to be concerned to protect my range of motion.
Knees and shoulders are requiring me to adjust exercises in the direction
of functional fitness and balance, not to mention brain fitness and the
exercise forms which promote it.

However, I still do cardio (low impact) and weights (3days a week each).
I supplement these with yoga, tai chi, balance and brain fitness exercises.
Best Answer
I agree with you 100%. I am an older CPT and while I used to enjoy
running, I need to be concerned to protect my range of motion.
Knees and shoulders are requiring me to adjust exercises in the direction
of functional fitness and balance, not to mention brain fitness and the
exercise forms which promote it.

However, I still do cardio (low impact) and weights (3days a week each).
I supplement these with yoga, tai chi, balance and brain fitness exercises.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Anything that gets you moving is good for your health! If you have a issue with getting bored with your workouts maybe you could try HIIT? I've used those and generally the workouts range from 30-50 minutes depending on how intense they are (the shorter the more intense, usually). It keeps you moving, you work up a sweat, and I'm never bored with them. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try out the rowing Machine in your gym. Its great fun challenging yourself every week. I cant run anymore, I have oestoarthritis so thats out of the question. I swim and walk now. Later on i will be joining the gym again after many years away but only if they have a rowing machine. I used to love doing that before work every day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I USED to think I had to run to be fit - until my knees rebelled. For the most part of the past year, and actually thanks in part to my Fitbit that I begrudgingly bought last year, I've found that walking can work too. When I started at the beginning of this year, I was averaging MAYBE 30k steps per week and the thought of toiling on a treadmill or walking outside seemed horrible to me. I'm averaging in the 80-90K steps per week currently and almost all of it is via walking. 

1. I take a 'mental excursion' during my treadmill time - either focusing on a problem or challenge from several angles to pass the time or by planning out future projects. Works for me. 

2. I've started to incorporate a Concept 2 rower occasionally in place of treadmill time. 

3. I've devised what I personally refer to as a 'baby crossfit' workout where I cycle between a treadmill and a dumbbell based circuit for usually at least 3 cycles -- something like this - 10 minutes at an incline on a treadmill, then immediately picking up a pair of dumbbells and completing 5-7 different exercises without putting the dumbbells down throughout, then back to the treadmill. HR definitely spikes moreso and this feels like a HIIT workout in some respects. 

4. A full-body resistance circuit is a good idea for almost anyone regardless as is at least SOME heavier work while focusing on good technique -- keep in mind that your bones need a level of stress or load to maintain their density as we grow older. 

Best Answer

Awesome! 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best to walk...

It has been proved to be better for you, fast walking...

Recent studies have proved that running caused small break in the capillary vessels around the heart and lungs.

Years of tennis, which I love and still play, but I had to have re-construction on both my ankles.

The consultant told me, play tennis, walk more, cycle more...DO Not run.

He has done all the surgery on the top footballers in the UK

Walk fast, you will stay fit...

Best Answer

@healthysean wrote:

Best to walk...

It has been proved to be better for you, fast walking...

Recent studies have proved that running caused small break in the capillary vessels around the heart and lungs.

Years of tennis, which I love and still play, but I had to have re-construction on both my ankles.

The consultant told me, play tennis, walk more, cycle more...DO Not run.

He has done all the surgery on the top footballers in the UK

Walk fast, you will stay fit...

I would be very careful relying on a single study which talks about small breaks in capillary vessels around the heart and lungs and any warnings derived from that information even if it is true.  There have been many decades of studies numbering in the hundreds which show runners, even older runners, have far stronger and more capable hearts and lungs than walkers.

The thing about running is it challenges the body's infrastructure in many ways (such as tearing muscle tissue and over burdening various blood vessels), and in doing so, the body repairs itself in such a way to be much stronger and more capable.  Please don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting a completely sedentary person should start running Day 1 of a new exercise program; running is something which needs to be worked up to, the old adage of, "You have to walk before you run" has never been more true.

With the above in mind:

• Walk slow if you've been sedentary and you're trying to improve your conditioning and health.
  • Walk fast if you've been walking slowly for a while and are trying to further improve your conditioning and health.
  • The next step is to walk a little, jog a little...
  • Then jog continuously at a slow pace...
  • Then gradually dial up your jogging distance...
  • Then start running...
Best Answer
0 Votes
Could you give me the name of these recent studies that show running breaks
capillaries around the heart and lungs. I ran for 25 years and finally
gave it up due to orthopedic reasons, not due to breaks in capillaries
around my heart and lungs.
Best Answer
Thanks for your comment. I will check this out.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:
Could you give me the name of these recent studies that show running breaks
capillaries around the heart and lungs. I ran for 25 years and finally
gave it up due to orthopedic reasons, not due to breaks in capillaries
around my heart and lungs.

Agreed, I've run off and on for nearly five decades; if there was a lot of wholesale damage to the heart and lungs I'd probably be dead by now.  The flip side is true, my resting heart rate hit an all time low as a 50+ year old adult yesterday with a reading of 40 BPM (I'm back up to 41 bpm today, the horror!).  

Best Answer

@healthysean wrote:

I run 6.5+ km/h and the capillary vessels around my heart and lungs haven't broken to what I've felt. Maybe some knee pain or pain in my leg muscles but I'd say this is due to my weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes
healthysean: Your Dr. was totally misinformed! A British Medical Journal
found breaks in capillaries in the lungs in elite athletes in the following
sports, rowing, cycling, swimming, running and scuba diving. The cause was
INTENSE exercise, HR's above 177BPM, which caused increased pressure in
capillaries in the lungs. Similar finding were found in race horses.
Please inform your Dr. to re-read the article for content and to stop
spreading false information about running. They also found breaks in
capillaries in the legs of untrained runners that were insignificant. You
and your Dr. are doing a dis-service by only mentioning runners. I only
thought fake news was found in America, bit I guess it's found everywhere,
when people try to make a point that facts do not support. Shame on your
Dr.!
Best Answer
healthysean: I suggest you read the article on the internet for your
self. It mentions blood leaking from capillaries in the lungs with very
intense exercise, not around the lungs and it never mentioned the heart.
You mentioned your Dr. treats UK footballers, well you can believe your Dr.
when you watch your next soccer match and see the players walking quickly
and never running.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have averaged 6.2 miles a day for the last 2 months and over 5 miles a day for the last 7.5  months (when I got my Fitbit), almost all walking. I rarely run and if I do it is at a 13 minute a mile pace. I have dropped my resting pulse from 55 to about 50 and have lost 50 pounds. I also use My Fitness Pal by Under Armour and have cut out alcohol and caffeine by about 95%. I have a good treadmill but it seems to injure my foot. I go slow but do about 90  minutes a day walking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes