Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people work to get above 20,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I am active (run three miles in the morning, work all day, goof around with children in the evening while I do housework but getting above 20000 steps per day seems elusive to me. Help! 

Best Answer
310 REPLIES 310
as most of the posters have mentioned, we do 20k or more purely for the
kick, the adrenaline, the joy, the challenge and whatever other reasons but
its great fun and you get even fitter and the joy of seeing those skinny
jeans slip on is fabulous. If you have the time you can do all sorts of
silly things to get there. My dancing moves have improved so much I think I
can start a 'dance off challenge'
Best Answer
0 Votes
Totally agree it is fun to challenge yourself and the creative ways to add up your steps 🙂

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess I dont get it. I do 20K on a daily basis. I get up go swiming then I do a 4 mile walk before sitting down to work. Im active in the AM it suits me

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
How old are you ?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

62. Why does that make a difference?

Community Council Member

Best Answer
I hope to be as active as you at that age wendyb, you go girl!!!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow that is great, I too hope to be that active. My father is 81 and still active so I hope to follow along.

I did not say age mattered but you said you did not get how people cannot get 20000 steps daily. For some limitations physically as we age prevent some things.

I am saying to consider that others lives do not accomodate the time you alot to the steps in the morning, which I think is wonderful.

Although I know when I was in different stations in my life time was not available, I have always worked out, but working out hard even for a hour a day at a gym with a trainer, does not equate to 20000 steps and it is still an accomplishment and fun!
I was fit in younger years and still am physically fit, different lives and differnet stations in life limits some people.

I was trying to bring some insight and prespective to your comment you do not get how people cannot get 20000.

Congratulations it is great!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im wondering if you even know that there are people out there that do 30-70K a day?

Because there are. Many and they scare me Smiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wendy i did 25 k once and thought I did the impossible

Guess Im no where there ......

Dr.Gandhi
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi WendyB - I regularly do 35,000 steps per day and I'm not scary at all. Ali
Best Answer
Oh I am sure and quite an accomplishment good for them.
Why do you ask ?

I am excited to see how many steps I get on my trip in Europe for 2 weeks I will be plenty of steps I cannot wait to see what I Accomplish.

What do you think people do to get that many in. Regular day? How long would that take?

Lets see how I do

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
LOL---26,000-27,000 here---me either! That's a fantastic total!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I averaged 25,000/day on a VERY active vacation and would not choose to do that regularly.  I worked my way through college waitressing and bartending and while walking that much is good for your calorie burn, I know it wasn't good for my feet in my 20s and would be a bad idea now in my 40s.  

Everyone I know, including me, who focuses on one activity suffers repetitive use injuries.  I think a variety of activities is the best route.  Just my opinion.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am walking on my doctor's advice for bone health.  It is certainly not my only activity. I have been doing this for over 1-1/2 years.   Bone density is better because of it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think everyone is different. I also worked my way through college with two jobs, rode horses and was in ROTC---very active! I am now 54 and the injury I sustained in the Army "RUNNING" gives me no problem at all, as long as I walk regularly. I like the intense walks and most of all I like the way it makes my body feel. I can do 15,000 easily----but no challenge for me personally. I have lots if friends on fitbit who only do 1/4 to 1/2 of what I do--but that is their challenge and also what works for them. Do what you can and what makes you feel good!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ali wrote:

I am walking on my doctor's advice for bone health.  It is certainly not my only activity. I have been doing this for over 1-1/2 years.   Bone density is better because of it.

Oh, I bet it's good for your bone density.  Does your doctor recommend you walk that much?  And also do resistance exercises for bone health?  I'm curious because I worry about bone health, too, but haven't talked to doctors about it.  

I think my feet are also just prone to overuse injury, too.  They're wide and I have trouble finding shoes without toe box issues.  I imagine for many people, walking all day isn't a problem, once you're used to it.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
0 Votes
How do you get them and how long does that take?
Best Answer
0 Votes
I walk 20,000-25,000 plus I do 100 flights of stairs daily which gets me another 10,000 steps. This takes usually about 3 hours, split between morning, lunch and evening. I also weight train twice a week and do Pilates every other day. Guess you could say I am very active. Trying to make up for a previous life of laziness.

I get a bone density screening annually because of my high risk for osteoporosis.
Best Answer
0 Votes