Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long does it take to do 10,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I'm just setting up my bitfit for the first time. Just got it for my birthday tonight! Just curious how long it takes on average to get 10,000 steps in a day? I work out about 3 days a week but I run about 30 minutes and do weights. Just curious how much more I will need to do to fulfill the 10,000 steos.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You do not have to full fill the 10K if you can't.

Just start out and see what you do and try to increase slowly if you can.

It really depends on the Person. Im very active and have no problem acheiving it.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
127 REPLIES 127

You do not have to full fill the 10K if you can't.

Just start out and see what you do and try to increase slowly if you can.

It really depends on the Person. Im very active and have no problem acheiving it.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
I am usually very active too! Just wanted to know, how long it took for an average active person? maybe that's the wrong question....If you walk for an hour how many steps would that average???

Dee
Best Answer

I think it takes about an hour to walk 4 miles and with a few steps throughout the day, it's pretty easy to get to 10,000 after that.....

Best Answer

If I'm walking around 3-3.5 mph, I will get about 2000 steps in 20 minutes.

Best Answer

@SallyC wrote:

If I'm walking around 3-3.5 mph, I will get about 2000 steps in 20 minutes.

Yup..  There are "around" 2k/steps a mile for most people walking.  Her's a chart, as it's based on your height.

http://walking.about.com/od/pedometer1/a/steps-per-mile.htm

Fitbit defaults to a 10k step goal for a day, as well as a distance goal of 5 miles - 5*2000!  So if you walk at 4mph for an hours, that will be around 8k steps

Best Answer

Usually takes me around 10 hours with a 1 1/2 hour workout in there too!

Best Answer

On a typical busy work day with 30 min block to log a workout I usually tally 10000 by 10pm. Sometimes I'm pacing the floor between commercials.

Best Answer

Takes me about 50 minutes of fast walking to get to 10,000 steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just started using Fitibit Flex so watching my activities and how many steps are involved closely.  I figured out that at my normal walking speed; it takes me ~10 mins to do 1000 steps.  I can cover ~7000 steps through my normal activities (commute to office; walking during lunch break etc).  So looks like I need to take a 30min walk either early morning or in the evening to hit 10000 steps.  It may be faster if I decide to brisk walk or run.

Best Answer

I am generally very sedentary throughout the day. Walk to and from the car and that's about it.

To get my steps in, I walk up and down four flights of stairs twice during the day. I then do 60 minutes of aerobics each day. About the 53rd minute is when I hit 10,000 steps.

It really does depend on your activity level, as others have stated.

If you're starting from less than 1000 steps a day, just take it easy and you'll find yourself adding more activity just to get to your step goal. I know I am. Don't want to be locked into those 60 minutes of aerobics every single day 😉

Best Answer

Thanks @Jim_M ! That was a helpful site. 

As for the steps, if I run a 5k in the morning, i am about 1,500 off from the 10k steps. I am 5'3", so that might affect the outcome. I am also a teacher, so just walking around at work can get me to 10k.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on my feet most of the day at work. Starting from when I get up in the morning at 6:30 it takes me until about 1:30-2pm to get my 10000 in. 

Best Answer

If on the treadmill - I can do 10,000 steps in 60 minutes - power walking outside - close to it.  

@painterdee wrote:

I'm just setting up my bitfit for the first time. Just got it for my birthday tonight! Just curious how long it takes on average to get 10,000 steps in a day? I work out about 3 days a week but I run about 30 minutes and do weights. Just curious how much more I will need to do to fulfill the 10,000 steos.

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

I have a pretty active job, so I usually get about 5-6,000 steps a day, plus I do a walk at lunch. So, I'm usually set for around 9,000 steps by the end of my day, then I go to the gym or chase after a 4 year old at home.

About 3,000 steps in 30 minutes of walking, give or take some steps depending on my pace.

Best Answer

I try to workout in the gym or walk for 60 minutes everday plus my regular activities, I usually make the 10,000 steps per day.  My regular activities include going up and down stairs in the house and shopping.

Best Answer

When I walk its between 2000 - 2200 steps per mile in 16-17 minutes. So thats a little under 1.5 hours to do 10,000. That is if I want to do it all in 1 walk.

Best Answer
I'm extremely active at work. ( walking around a production floor). I hit 10,000 steps well before lunch, but add 4500 more with my workout after work. (I run or elliptical for 4 -5 miles @4 days a week).
Best Answer

You might want to check out UWALK.ca site.  It is a Canadian site, however anyone can use it.  It is modelled after a 10,000 step program that was developed in Australia.  You can sign up on the site and track your progress and have challenges with your friends family co-workers.  Great for motivation.

Best Answer

Based on my GPS my "fast walk" is around 4 mph and my  Fitbit One records around 7,500 steps/hour at that rate. All outside.  A treadmill might be faster, but I don't have any experience with that.  I am jealous (and impressed) of those on this post who can do 10,000 steps/hour or better without running.  I also bike ride with my fitbit in my front pocket and I get 6000 steps/hour doing that, and I get about 7000 steps/hour on my mini-trampoline watching TV.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer