Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit OS 2.2 - Ionic Firmware Release (32.12.19)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, everyone! I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.2! (Firmware Version: 32.12.19) At this time, we've released Fitbit OS 2.2 to a small group of Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Versa users. 

WHAT'S CHANGED?

Please check out this help article to see what's new in this update.

IS THIS UPDATE AVAILABLE TO ME?

This update has only been released to a small group of Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Versa users. If you have not yet received an update notification and wish to force the update, you can give the watch a FACTORY RESET and then follow steps 1 - 4 below. Please make sure you sync the watch before performing the reset so that all your current data transfer over. Factory resetting your device clears all data from the watch including music, Fitbit Pay information, and apps. Historical Fitbit data will still be available in the Fitbit App.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here. We recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article.

If you run into trouble updating your Ionic, please follow these steps:

1. Restart the watch. 
  2. "Remove" the watch from your account inside of the Fitbit app.  
  3. "Forget" the watch from your phone's Bluetooth settings (along with any other Fitbit devices paired to your phone)
  4. Try the update again. 

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have questions, please let me know in this thread!

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
422 REPLIES 422

I've learned my lesson, I'll wait next time there is an update. Let everything get worked out first

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bert6868 wrote:

Ive found a bit of a work around that helps until we get an update. in settings on the watch go to bluetooth and turn on the music via bluetooth option then press the add device button at that point do a sync at the same time on your phone and it seems to do a full sync..Like i say a bit of a pain but better than nothing whilst fitbit get there house in order as regards updates.

Tried this to no avail

Best Answer
0 Votes

Failed updates have made my ionic unusable.  I've attempted at least 20 times with several resets and can't even perform a factory reset now.   Clock error, can't track exercise or access settings after following the update instructions and going through all of the trouble shooting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here we go again. How many times does a firmware upgrade break things? Now mine isn't downloading the sleep stats. It was working just fine, why fix what isn't broken? Just leave it be.

Best Answer

I wonder why the update (which I don't have yet - thanks, but no thanks, please keep it) seems to be breaking different things on different watches. Just curious.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would say they have pulled this update due to all the issues ,I hope so.

Fitbit Ionic and OnePlus 6T
Best Answer

I may have found a fix. I did this systematically and tried each step individually. If you have a different device (Blaze in my case) that the Ionic is meant to replace and you're having issues syncing the Ionic try this.
#1 Remove the old device from your fitbit app

#2 Ensure the old device is turned off (I tried it both ways only works if it's off)
#3 Go into your phone settings and remove the old device's bluetooth. On Samsung Galaxy S8 you go into bluetooth settings, hit the device name ("Blaze" in my case) and hit Unpair.

#4 Restart your phone

It's a little early to tell but I've been able to sync my Ionic now 5 separate times (which is far more than it's ever done before) and the delay for a "Test Call" notification is only 10 seconds (previously wouldn't work at all). Unfortunately it seems the Ionic can only work if it's your only device. Hopefully the development team will rectify this but for now, if this continues to work, I may not have to return the Ionic afterall.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried everything sugessted in the forums, but the Iconic wont even give me the option to update the firmware.

In the watch setting and in the app the current firmware is listed as 27.32.10.20.

I have tried restoring the watch, logging out, etc...

I am using a google pixel running android 8.1.0

My fitbit android app version is 2.81 (20213328).

Please help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DDNPLO, it is a timed rollout, and is not yet available to all users. When it is available for your unit, it will be noted in red at the to top of your Fitbit app account screen. Until then, you cannot force an upgrade of the firmware.

Best Answer

Hi guys! I agree with @USAF-Larry, when an update is available you'll see a notification in the Fitbit app prompting you to update. When the update starts, a progress bar appears on Ionic and in the Fitbit app until the update is complete. For best results, make sure your watch is charged and can connect to your Wi-Fi network.

Updating Ionic can take an hour or longer and may be demanding on the battery. For this reason, we recommend plugging your watch into the charger before starting an update.

Keep your watch and phone or computer close to each other during the update process. If you see the notification in the Fitbit app prompting you to update the watch, but you are having difficulties updating your Ionic, please try the following:

1. Restart your Ionic
  2. "Remove" the tracker from your account inside of the Fitbit app.  
  3. "Forget" the tracker from your phone's Bluetooth settings (along with any other Fitbit devices paired to your phone)
  4. Try the update again.

This release includes the following:

• When you’re downloading multiple playlists, you can now see the download progress of each playlist. 
  • Your Fitbit watch automatically connects to your most recently paired, available headphones when you play music. For more information, see How do I connect Bluetooth audio devices to my Fitbit watch?
  • Your alarms and timers now alert you even when your Fitbit device is locked. 
  • Bug fixes.

If there's any questions present, let me know. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I guess what most people watching this thread want to know is what's taking so long to release this firmware to everyone? Is the firmware defective or does Fitbit just have poor resources to distribute it? Its been over 3 weeks since initial release.

Best Answer

@allanr143, true, very true!

@MattFitbit, just let us all know please when you will release the update. Then those of us who still have an old Fitbit device will use it, and will jut wait for new firmware for Ionic. It just does not make any sense to switch off, on, remove, add again, etc. It is not worth $300 and definitely not what we paid for. 

Thanks for understanding. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand that when we hear there is an update, we all want it. However, this one seems to have caused so many problems, that it seems better to wait. My Ionic is working perfectly on the 32.10.20 OS and I would rather not fix what's not broken. The workarounds and other "fixes" posted here sound like more time and frustration than I have the time, energy, and patience for. Fitbit will get it fixed and I am happy to wait until they do.

Best Answer

@Purrstachio, I would love to get Fitbit app to prior version but I am afraid this is not possible. Its is very frustrating that Ionic is not syncing at all (whether it is because of Fitbit app 32.12.19 or / and Ionic firmware 27.32.12.19. Again, I tried all recommenced solutions but it does not work at all. 
I even run factory reset on Ionic hoping that it will not ask for an update, however it is not possible neither. You have to have very recent versions that do not work. Again, very frustrating!

Best Answer

@MarreFitbit, I tried it all several times. It is not syncing properly. I would say that 2 out 10 tries is successful and the rest does require Ionic to switch off and on... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-LarryThank you for taking the time to share with me the information about the timed rollout. I am surprised by it because I thought that the firmware was av alible to everyone now. I thought i saw a post about it. Maybe I misunderstood it.

So just to confirm, there have been no new updates rolled out the the iconic since the 27.32.10.20.?

Thank you!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

M question is what is Fitbit doing to rectify this problem??? 

The ionic is an expensive watch and now it is useless. I have done everything under the sun with troubleshooting. My ionic is now stuck on  the setup screen and cannot be used because the app just can't sync it.  I have even tried multiple phones,  android and iOS with no luck. 

This so **ahem** frustrating!!! 

I got this from the US and I live in South Africa. I received it in January so it's only 9 months old!! 

So again Fitbit, REAL SOLUTIONS???? 

All the basic troubleshooting steps are useless!  

Or take my watch back,  replace... refund. I have no idea. But something. 

I train everyday and now I'm watchless. 

Best Answer

Mine had the same issues as yours  I had to send mine for a warranty replacement. It's going to be tough for you to replace it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same as mine, the firmware still stuck on 27.32.10.20. 

Ionic 27.32.10.20 | OnePlus 3 (Android 8.0.0)
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Vash,

Could you by any chance guide me as to the process to send it back?

Or which avenue to reach out if possible

I have the invoice of purchase from Amazon.

Thank you
Best Answer
0 Votes