Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calibrate Fitbit Ionic?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey Pals,

is there a way to re calibrate the Ionic?

I was in my car when it said to lay it on a flat surface, but i was not able to in the car...

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
97 REPLIES 97

@Paul201065 wrote:

I have it on my dominant arm at the moment. Would it make a big difference if i changed the setting to non dominant. 

If it’s on your dominant and you change the setting to non dominant, it should make it more sensitive, yes. However the aim of that is to cut out erroneous movement, which might happen with your dominant arm. Whether it will work on a straight walk, I await you testing. Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi will try that btw thanks for your help with this.do you think i should put my surge back on the fitbit app so when i try my test tomorrow  they both have the same settimgs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You didn’t need to take your surge off the app when you added the Ionic. You can have multiple devices on your account, just not more than one of the same kind. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I only took it off as i intended to sell it once i was happy with the ionic as my surge is nearly brand new as fitbit replaced my surge as it was faulty.but i will put it back on for the test tomorrow as i want the test to be as accurate as possible 

Have put surge back on so should i put the setting on both watches to dominant or non dominant for my test tomorrow.

Hi just thought i would post an update went for a walk today set both watches to non dominant steps showed 2460 on ionic and 2434 on surge.So now am  happy that ionic is getting steps correctly as there are only 24 steps difference.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

How can I know for sure that the Ionic is calibrated? I got the message twice yesterday, so I plugged my Ionic in - both into a wall outlet and again into my computer - I haven't gotten the message since but the stairs counter is still off. The number of steps is correct but it's saying I climbed 6 flights when I only climbed 5.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unless I am mistaken fitbit sees a flight of stairs as you having ascended or descended 20 feet. So the extra flight might simply be that the flights of stairs you went up or down might be slightly more than that so fitbit sees your stair count as more than the physical flights you counted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe. I know yesterday it counted an extra two or three flights also, but I was just walking around my office (meaning, no stairs involved). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That one I can't answer. I know that the fitbit seems to have had a problem with me once or twice - it recorded 20 minutes on an elyptical while I was sleeping. But i haven't seen that in awhile so I assume they fixed it...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JanRachel83

The Ionic uses a barometric pressure sensor to detect floor count, so every 3.3 meters (~10 feet) that equivalent pressure change increments the counter. Unfortunately, that pressure change is really small,  so weather can muck up the works and has been know to add a floor count or two (or three, or five)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got off of the chat about the same issue with the stairs. It's of concern because I make actual eating decisions based on what this tracker says. My Blaze never had this issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Surge always did... same issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My sensors on the back of the Fitbit are not lit up I have the ionic and it’s nit reading my heart rate, I have reset it and  factory reset it 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Once in a while.. I get this message a minimum of 3 times day!! Is that normal?? I have also noticed it doesn't track steps as well as my old charge HR 😞 I have not been happy with my new purchase.  And the only reason I haven't returned it yet is cause its waterproof. So wish the Charge HR was waterproof .. maybe one day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have yet to receive this message to calibrate and my ionic is skipping a lot of steps. ..what can I do?

Best Answer

My Fitbit ionic is not tracking steps accurately. Like I just walked about 300 steps snd it said I walked 200. Very frustrated. Not sure what to do? Have had it since Christmas, was asked to calibrate when I first got it, but haven’t since. Thanks!

Best Answer

incase of stairs, with my old surge it basiqly would count flights of stairs when doing things like high jumps and rope skipping.

So basiqly when I did jumping excercises it would count stairs but it never had any effect on my calorie intake as far as i saw.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My new fit bit Ionic not only shorts me about 2000 steps a day but at the sa me time says i walked 44.23 miles and is giving me 202 active mins ...help

evry1noswen (wendy)
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t think I’ve ever had the calibration message? I’ve been frustrated as my Ionic seemed accurate on 12/26 when I wore it for the first time in the evening, but every day since it’s been quite a bit off my One. Today takes the cake as it’s currently more than 3500 steps off the One, due to many steps taken while pushing shopping carts this evening. Unfortunately most days it is 800-1600 steps off of the One, which I know is accurate,

If I walk 100 steps in a straight path, like on the track at the gym, the One registers 100. The Ionic registers 80.  Walking around my home is worse. Only on a few occasions has the ionic been seen actually recording steps. It lags, then gives me 6-7 steps when I’ve traveled 20 or 30 steps. If I only take a few steps it’s likely not pick up any movement at all. Frustrating!

Best Answer

Well unfortunately I wasn't able to put the ionic down whilst the calibration message appeared, even dropping the watch (on to carpet) as I had just completed a factory reset and was wresting with the ionic's ridiculously short power cable that managed to pull the bloody watch off my table!

So as far as calibration goes.. looks like nobody Really knows.. just saying 'to make it more accurate' is not really an answer... of course thats what Calibration usually means.. BUT WHAT IS IT CALIBRATING is the question everyone is asking! Also it looks like the user cannot initiate a calibration! This is worrying because in my case: as I wasn't able to rest the ionic down at the time of the message, I don't know if the watch is accurately calibrated!! 

Enderman
Best Answer

Anyone know the answer? Official answer? Moderators?

I also did not calibrate mine on a flat surface

Best Answer
0 Votes