Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 31.1.16

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 12/05/2017

We've just rolled out new firmware for Ionic to 100% of users! This firmware update includes:

NEW APPS AND CLOCK FACES

This Fitbit OS update provides access to new apps and clock faces from Fitbit, Fitbit Labs, popular brands, and developers. The apps span a range of categories such as Flipboard, The New York Times, and Yelp. New apps and clock faces will be added frequently. Browse the available apps in the Fitbit App Gallery.

For more information, see How do I install and manage apps on my Fitbit watch?

FITBIT LABS

We’re introducing Fitbit Labs, which develops experimental apps and clock faces for Ionic. Install an app or clock face to motivate you to stay active, help track and interpret your behavior, and provide intelligent feedback. Choose to adopt a virtual pet and use your steps to keep them fed and happy with one of the FitPet interactive clock faces, or install the Think Fast app and test your ability to rapidly and accurately switch between tasks. Check back often for new apps.

For more information, see What is Fitbit Labs?

FITBIT PAY

Now you can add up to 6 credit and debit cards to Fitbit Pay on Ionic and choose which card you want to use for each transaction. When you’re ready to pay, swipe right on your watch’s screen to scroll through your cards.

Note this feature is coming soon to the Fitbit app for Windows 10.

For more information, see What should I know about Fitbit Pay?

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

This release includes other bug fixes and improvements.

For instructions on how to update your Ionic to the latest firmware, follow this link

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, everybody! Great news! 

We have begun the release of Ionic firmware version: 27.31.1.29 today. We roll out firmware releases in phases as a cautionary measure to ensure we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. All customers can expect to have this new firmware update within a few weeks.

I've gone ahead and closed this thread and floated the new one for firmware version: 27.31.1.29. Please follow along there if you have any questions! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
320 REPLIES 320

Thanks for your response. I’m eager to dive in to the App Store again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all,

In my quest to get my Ionic watch working somewhat as expected (it sure hasn't...), today I started all over by:

1. Disconnecting my Ionic watch from my Android app, running on a Sony XPeria Z5 Compact
  2. Removing all Ionic related Bluetooth connections from my phone (2 connections removed: Ionic and Ionic Classic)
  3. Uninstalling the app, restarting the phone and reinstalling the app
  4. Logging in to the app (no devices connected to my app, or even to my Fitbit user account)
  5. Making a factory reset on my watch
  6. Reconnecting the watch to the app.

My Ionic reconnected as it should (green check mark), and I was prompted to upgrade the Ionic firmware. I do the upgrade via the blutooth connection to my phone, which in turn is connected to a public time-restrained (12 hours or so) wifi. I would use the same method also at home since I never have got my Ionic to connect to any wifi, anywhere.

It's been there for more than 4(!) hours now, and it is only about halfways downloading the new firmware version. Is it supposed to take this long? If not, how do I restart the firmware upgrade process? The app seems like it is stuck, waiting for the firmware download/upgrade to finish or something.

I don't recall this firmware download/upgrade taking this extremely long time the last time I connected my watch to my app, about a month ago. And I haven't got any notification about upgrading my watch to a newer firmware version since that time either.

Ionic connected to Sony Xperia Z5 Compact running Android 7 something
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just opened the fitbit app and I saw that there is a fitbit update available. Im going to wait until i get home to connect to Wi-Fi. It might take years if i update thru BluetoothScreenshot_2017-12-05-09-24-45.png

Ionic with S9plus
Best Answer

Ditto. Done over bluetooth. Didn't take too long, or use much battery.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just did my update via Bluetooth... started it before my shower. By the time i was done, it was good to go.

Here is hoping that this new update resolves the frustration!

Best Answer

I just tried to update. I swapped to my charge 2 and left it. When I came back it failed and asked if I wanted to use Bluetooth so I accepted that option. It's still updating very slowly....

iPhone 7 Plus ios11.1 Samsung, Sense, Ionic
Best Answer
0 Votes

Downloading it now and it is working via bluetooth- it is taking awhile which is stated it might. 

Best Answer

The app store is enabled with this update.

Best Answer

Mine updated this morning to firmware version 27.31.1.16, and the entire update took less than 15 minutes.  After it completed the update, it asked me to connect the tacker to the charge cable and set it down for 15 seconds to calibrate it. After that completed it began a sync and completed that in about 30 seconds. All appears well now.

Best Answer

Mine updated this morning without problems, and it completed in less than 15 minutes.  It appears to be operating normal after the update.

Best Answer

I've been updating mine on my Windows 10 laptop since 9:30 this morning...it's 10 after 10 and it's still not even halfway through the update......

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

@USAF-LarryWhy do you choose to ignore that the customer is updating via BlueTooth and you are updating via Wi-Fi when responding? Again, when a customer reports a problem they don't want to hear "Well, I didn't have a problem" they expect help!

Best Answer

does it default to using wifi to update?

Best Answer
0 Votes

fails to update big red x when using bluetooth

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fingers crossed. Mine failed using wifi and now takes forever using Bluetooth.

Microsoft Lumia 950XL, Fitbit Ionic 27.31.1.16
Best Answer

When syncing the Ionic this morning, the app notified me of a Ionic firmware update. I put the Ionic on the charge cable and started the update.  It completed the update in about 15 minutes, and after it was finished and restarted the tracker, it requested that I connect it to the cable (it was already on it) and set it down for 15 seconds to calibrate. I press the "Okay" button and set it down. A few seconds later the app showed syncing the tracker, which completed very quickly.

A word of caution when installing the firmware update - the phone battery strength during the upgrade process went from 63% to 30%.  Before starting this firmware update, ensure you have the tracker connected to the charge cable, and that the phone battery is either fully charged or is on the charge cable.

Best Answer

27.31.1.16 installed today. No change notes, I'm in the UK so the watch does nothing but track my heart rate here anyway. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

New update is coming

Best Answer
0 Votes

Now the fitbit apple app is just sitting on loading... Bluetooth not working for update.

Best Answer
0 Votes