Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345
I defer to your experience. I don have a linked scale, so I can't comment with certainty. Guys, ignore my last comment and follow an expert.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I received my ionic yesterday and have tried to set it up on my iPhone 7 but the blue tooth won’t connect. It has connected to my iPad so don’t understand why it won’t to my iPhone 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Per your recommendation, I unpaired my just-purchased Ionic both in the Fitbit app and in the Android phone's settings. I then repaired it. As before, it had trouble connecting at first but finally connected so I was able to set up the watch. It synchronized once or twice but now it won't synchronize any more.

I hope the Ionic doesn't end up being one of those things that "would be great if it worked."

I'll try to sync it at least a few more times before giving up and returning it to Best Buy.

Best Answer
Check with the folks who run android devices and ask what they did to make things work. I’m an iSheep and following the advice on the group, my Ionic setup and worked first off with no hassles.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I keep trying to change options on my Ionic and I keep getting a message my Bluetooth is off. How do I fix this issue??

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the same issue... I would like to know too!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for your troubleshooting efforts while setting up Ionic. 

@brayob @Jff78 @SabineRivers @Zuojia A very warm welcome to the community! 

For anyone having a hard time setting up Ionic, I would definitely recommend following each of the steps @CarlosCFitbit recommended, here. If you get stuck at any particular point, let me know. 

If you are still unable to set up Ionic, you could always attempt to set up using a computer or alternate mobile device. Once the Ionic is paired to your account, you can use your original device to sync.

For anyone who has successfully set up their Ionic and is now having trouble syncing, I would check out this article as I know many have found these tips helpful. 

@jleisure @SabineRivers Are you still receiving a Bluetooth error? If so, I would recommend toggling your Bluetooth on/off from the settings restarting your phone. If you continue to experience this, please feel free to post a screenshot so we can take a closer look. 

@GrahamdK @SunsetRunner Thanks for helping out! Truly appreciated. Man Happy 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

I purchased Fitbit Ionic today, can someone please tell me I'm stupid or help me???!!!??

1. I went to Google Play and installed the Fitbit app on my phone.

2. I created a Fitbit account 

3. I connected Fitbit to my home WiFi

4. I pushed next, "Setting up Ionic..."

.....and it shows "Step 1 of 3. Prepairing..." 

Nothing has happend in 6 hours!!!! Not even left step 1.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer
Pave you paired your Bluetooth

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TrekdalofNorway Welcome to the community! 

If you are still having a tough time setting up your Ionic, I would recommend performing each of the steps, here. Let me know if you get stuck at any particular point. 

@brianc1959 Thanks for the assist!

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually MattFitBit, setting it up via the computer is not an option. I deleted my Ionic from my FB profile on the phone, reset the Ionic and downloaded the FB installer (Mac)...keep getting the screen to download the app on my phone. There is a hardstop in the computer installer that will not permit you to proceed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please show me how to program my I ionic watch 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Had some problems getting app to accept Ionic...finally just uninstalled and reinstalled app and all went smoothly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@brayob wrote:

Purchased an Ionic during lunch and ready to take it back to Best Buy after work.  Can't get it to connect to android app.  Turned off and on my phone more times than can count.  Reset the fitbit by holding down left and bottom right buttons several times.  Sometimes it pairs with phone, sometimes it will not after turning off/on Bluetooth.  Can't get past logo screen on fitbit to see if pairing is turned on in the fitbit.  This is ridiculous.  What the hell needs to be done to get this connected????

An act of God

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree, I have never been through anything like this. I went out of town this weekend and my Ionic wouldn’t sync. It only will sync in my house in one particular spot and it has to be hooked up to my computer charging. Is that normal? All the other Fitbit’s I had before synced whenever wherever, when I wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am getting ready to throw my Fitbit Ionic into the garbage and switch to Garmin. I have contacted customer support 4 different times and I keep getting the same instructions from them. Factory resets, switch BT on/off, delete the app and reinstall it. I have done it all and still this device does not sync over BT to my Iphone or to my Windows Surface. I would appreciate it if someone at Fitbit that knows what they are doing could contact me. 

Best Answer

Just do it. I've been trying to get my Ionic working properly for months. fitbit has nothing to give us besides canned answers that may fix the problem for a few days, at best. Personally, my Blaze didn't give me this much trouble, but if this is how they treat us about a device we paid $300 for, I recommend everyone jump ship at this point. 

Best Answer
Mine finally worked. I do not enable continuous sync, I sync when I open the app. It will play music through Pandora app. I think it did not like my century Link WiFi at home things seemed to work better once I connected to my Verizon hotspot. The only thing now is the wallet. I've added my card 3times but it will not work. I'm using Android running on a Moto G5

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine stop syncing again. Last time it synced was last Tuesday morning. Tomorrow it will be a week. It temporarily syncs today's values (steps, floors, miles but not sleep). The app does not show anything about the days between today and the last time it synced. I tried turning on and off "All-Day Sync" and "Always connected" but this time it does not help. 

Please do not tell me to go through the setup again because it takes a few hours and I think it loses the data that is not sync. That is not a solution.

Best Answer

I am not sure why but after I left the message last night, my Fitbit synced. Sometimes I think the problem is on the Fitbit's servers, not on the device.

Best Answer
0 Votes