Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not charging

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ionic only a month old and battery went flat now it won’t charge or switch on at all tried to do factory reset what next? 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity. 

Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

Try a Restart and do it several times if necessary.

Best Answer

I woke up this morning, and the Ionic is completely dead...won't turn on or charge. I attempted leaving it on the charger, but the Ionic got warm after about 30 minutes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Those troubleshooting ideas do work for some and when we suggest them we are only doing so in the hope of helping someone. When they do not work then that's when customer support and, ultimately, the warranty come into play.

But thank you for your post. I won't, of course, insult you by trying to help.

Best Answer

Hi, @Sklurnk, it sounds like you will need to get in touch with Fitbit Customer Support on contact.fitbit.com.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Thank you for your input. I was more curious about how many others are experiencing this. If a battery degrades this quickly at the 9 month mark, they're not doing something right. Software seems to be quite difficult for Fitbit to get right, so I would go out on a limb and suggest that it's the culprit behind my bricked Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

my ionic went flat so put on charge. showed initially 0%. then fitbit logo then nothing. now its dead and no screen. still pugged into charger cable. Any ideas to start it again?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try restarting it several times. If it doesnt turn on after that, try a factory reset. If still no joy you will need to contact Support (link in my signature) Let us know how you go 

Restart your tracker

FACTORY RESET USING BUTTONS
On the watch, hold all three buttons for about twelve seconds. This triggers the 2-button hardware reboot after about eight seconds.
- When the Fitbit logo appears, then disappears, release the bottom right button, then continue holding the left and top right buttons until you feel a strong vibration. This indicates the factory reset was initiated.
- This process may take several seconds, and eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays go to Fitbit.com/setup.
- If you fail to release the bottom right button in time, or otherwise don't follow the procedure precisely, the Fitbit logo reappears quickly and boots without factory reset.

If the device turns on, please go back to the Fitbit app and setup your device back to your account with these steps. Make sure your watch is plugged into a wall plug or a computer, next to the router and that there are no other trackers or devices with Bluetooth on nearby when setting up.  Please log into your account, go to account on the upper right corner, there look for "setup a device" and tap on it. Follow the instructions on the screen and let the watch charge for 2 hours.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I've just got a brand new Fitbit Ionic today. Obviously excited to use it. 

Started to charge it, I got a 0% signal on it's screen. I've left it to charge. Now the watch is unresponsive and seems completely dead, no indicators on the screen. Completely black screen. 

I logged onto forums to see if this was normal....and low and behold....every man, women, cat and dog are complaining about similar issues. 

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rhysyboiy Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for reporting the situation you are experiencing with Ionic's screen.

Have you tried a restart already? If not, I'd recommend performing one. That usually helps when the screen is not responsive. 

Also, when you charge it, it just shows its on 0%?

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

This keeps happening with my ionic. I put it on charge with 50% battery life. An hour later my ionic is shutdown and won't restart. This is just one of the ionic problems. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding Ionic's battery not charging.

Just wanted to jump in to collect some important data regarding this. Can you please tell me:

• For how long your Ionic's battery was 'dead' before you tried to charge it? A few days? Just overnight before you noticed it would no longer charge?

Also, for all of you who are already in contact with customer support, please let me know how it is going and if a solution has been found for you.

@KingChristos Thanks for reporting you are experiencing the same. I went ahead and created a case with customer support in your behalf. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for next steps.

Keep me posted! 

Best Answer
My Ionic still had about 30% left but totally died while charging and was never able to hold a charge again. Maybe a coincidence, but happened only a day or 2 after downloading update.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@cecilia.pearl I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing the experience you are having with Ionic's battery.

I went ahead and contacted you via PM. Please keep an eye on your Community inbox.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Somehow my latest post to you in this thread got branded as off topic by one of the mods here.  Silly.

Anyways I finally received my replacement on 7/24 (after starting support process on 6/13).

Hopefully you have received your replacement by now.

So far, so good.  The new one I charged up the first night I got it (Tuesday), and here we are the fourth full day since and the battery is just below half.  Seems to be undercounting my steps a great deal, particularly the first day, but seemingly getting better.  Perhaps it's adapting to me.  Who knows.  But no way am I bothering to complain and start the replacement process again.

Fingers crossed it holds up.  I'm still very uneasy and don't trust it yet, so I'm still using a phone as a backup alarm each night.  Going to be a while before I can trust it again, if ever.

Hope you received or soon will be getting a working replacement!

Best Answer
0 Votes

yeah, their moderating is about as jacked up as their service...

you'd figure they would start a thread like 'whining about slow warranty service/service period' and move our displeasure there...nope...

Good to hear that you finally received your replacement.

Question, are you 'over' the ionic and or fitbit all together?

Logic would suggest over that month and a half you have been without yours that you have come up with some other way to keep track of your exercise or weight or whatever you had it for hence rendering the actual fitbit useless.  I know I personally have and not sure I want to have to deal with the headache of the **ahem**ed thing flaking out again and then having to potentially deal with fitbit tech support and subsequent service after that.

Pretty certain I am just going to sell mine as soon as I get it back so I don't have to put myself through the nightmare that is fitbit tech support and fitbit warranty service or fitbit service period, or heck, fitbit forum moderators.  It's much easier to deal with twitter and facebook shadowbans than it is this company...lol

I don't even care if they delete this post as it will prove that they are really not out to make their customers happy, just punch a clock, take it easy, don't even go the mile they are supposed to much less even be concerned with an extra mile for customer satisfaction.  If I didn't know any better, I would say fitbit is a government entity...lol

Supposedly I should 'finally' receive my replacement on or 'around' this Tuesday putting the downtime at just short of a month.

Interesting fact, back in 2012, I had two surgeries within less time. Had my appendix removed and a week later a subtotal colectomy AND was back working in less time than it takes to get a fitbit in to service and back...yes fitbit, you have hindered the progress of a two time (really three time) cancer patient....put that in your pipe and smoke it fitbit!

(I just want to see where this post ends up now, make them feel as crappy about their service as I feel it is...blame it on the moon....lol... :D)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner It's tough to say.  This experience left me jaded, that's for sure.  I used to be a day one user (so I'd pre-order the new ones to get on launch day)., but that has sailed its course.  A lot of folks have the right mindset:  we're basically beta testers.  There's no way they could put the product through the paces with their testing programs to simulate what a million trackers out would do.  And frankly, the Ionic was just a test watch to iron out the kinks for the Versa.  At least that's how it all looks now.

I want to chalk it up to just being a one off of terrible support, but experiences from a lot of others I'm reading (including yours) suggests this is the new norm.  I probably would have coped a lot better if I hadn't given away my previous generations of trackers, so going over a month without anything was tough.

So I'm on the fence.  Obviously if my new Ionic craps out in the next month the decision will be made for me.  Wouldn't even say I'm cautiously optimistic.  I certainly no longer rec the Ionic to anyone, so there's that.

I'm currently at 43% battery, and it's Sunday.  That means it's had a full charge since Tuesday night, so I'm getting incredible battery life.  Way more than I ever had before, which I find strange.  Same settings and workouts usage as the old one.

Hope you get yours soon.  They ship the pebble in some clear bag thing back to you, so it won't come in the original box (unless you had to ship the charger and bands back too, I didn't).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit must admit what it is:  A design flaw

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks NellyG I think you are right. Followed your instructions and it work!! Thans

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MfingBlue Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread confirming that the steps provided by @NellyG worked for you. I'm really glad to read that you are back on track now.

I wanted to jump in on this thread to leave a link here to Nelly's post. This way, other user's can easy access it and try the steps there to get back on track.

Thank you again for sharing your experience on the forums. I'm glad you found a solution here.

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

When doing factory reset I will lose all the data in the ionic? I guess the product malfunction has essentially lost my data already....

Best Answer
0 Votes