Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

I  too have had 2 replacements of my Ionic, one in the shop of purchase and one by mail/transport,

The present one seems O K.    But still ..Digital refund form completed . Question ? When can we

expect the refund to arive, so I can dispose of this Ionic and " maybe" replace it wi an other model?

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Guess I’m just another who is affected as many others are. Received my email 3days back, followed the procedure apart from deleting my Ionic (still in use) however when I do go to verify it’s the same issue with codes not recognised. Managed to raise a fault and get a reference but as yet no reply. Must say Fitbit are about as much use as a one legged man in a bum kicking contest. This is my third issue with inferior fitbits in five years, I don’t think there will be a forth. Time to move on I think. 

Moderator Edit: word choice

Best Answer

Hello,

I have tried numerous times to contact through the live chat as well as twitter with no response from Fitbit. I have my ionic but it does not charge only overheats. I purchased a new fitbit and thus removed my ionic from my account. I have checked all your questions etc - nowhere does it answer, how to verify a deleted account with a none working ionic. I still have my ionic. Can Fitbit kindly assist. I have registered but cannot do the online verification, what is the way forward?
Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey F1raghu,

Just reading your post and I wondered what happened to the iconic when you did the process

As mine is actually functioning well and happy to keep using it, so we can't use Iconic once refund is done?

Apologies if this question was asked and answered 

Many thanks in advance 

Best Answer

Hi. What is your technique  to get past the verify the code number? I have been stuck on the bit for 3 days. No help from support, they say just keep trying.

Moderator Edit: Word choice

Best Answer

Hey

Sorry if i wasnt clear, device is working fine but unfortunately it has stopped syncing to fitbit app which i use very frequently to keep my fitness data upto date.

Basically until you get a new device, all your data will be lost which means some of the metrics accuracy will be impacted.

Best Answer

Thank you, Balders356, knowing that I am not the only one feels good 😉 .

I already deleted all data, stopped and repacked my 3rd Ionic intending to wait for the refund,. But it is now back in my wrist.

So Google ( Fitbit) better hurry up for although I don't fancy to have to with Google, I like  my Ionic.......  

So come on Google speed up the refund you've got the money.

Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have registered twice and code still not working.

I have spoken to customer support twice and each time they say try by the end of the day yet nothing is working.

So frustrating with the process. I need a watch ASAP.

Anyone know how best to register this ionic?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue to interested in the reply. Tried live chat it timed out or no reply tried twitter they said to follow online guide 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit seemed to go dead at 3.45am !! It’s got a line running through battery on Fitbit app dashboard, have they just cut them off ? I still can’t sort out refund as saying not recognising 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kevin8990 wrote:

我也是,不管中国用户了吗

English translation: 

Me too, regardless of Chinese users?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone,

So i received the confirmation email after 4 days, so i guess there's a bit pf a delay, i guess you guys just have to wait for the email with the discount.

Best Answer

Fantastic.    Thanks for sharing.      

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks everyone.
Phoned and have been told that there are problems with the website due to
the amount of people resolving the ionic issue.
A waiting game I guess
Best Answer

mine did this a few months ago - I went rhough help with fitbit they said broken but not in warranty - I don't see why this shouldn't qualify as there is clearly an issue with them

Sarah 

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sfinge23 wrote:

Hello everyone,

So i received the confirmation email after 4 days, so i guess there's a bit pf a delay, i guess you guys just have to wait for the email with the discount.

The problem lots of us have is that we get the message that the reference code you have to enter cannot be found in the Fitbit systems. 
That means we will NEVER get a confirmation email, because the process is stuck at the reference code step 😪

Best Answer

So after going through the registration process I get stuck on the Verify account part. When trying to put in the reference nr on the verification page I get a message that the system cannot find the code, and I have put it in several times since last night. It has now been 16 hours since I got the code so the mentioned 30 minute lag should not be an issue. Trying to get a hold of someone to talk to is also a bust since the phoneline for my country, Sweden, since to have no opening hours at all on the special nr Fitbit opened for the recall process. Anyone else have the same issue? Is there a way to get a hold of Fitbit to get som actual help?

Best Answer

Thank for sharing.      Oskar. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is anyone else in the UK confused about Fitbit Charge UK website price being far more expensive than other UK retailer, and also the current sale and packages on the Fitbit US site and it is not being offered anywhere else.

I also find it really strange that Fitbit do a product recall for Ionic offering a discount which is only redeemable on their website, but the local website are showing the highest price so the discount is pretty much pointless.

If you are part of the roll out in the US then you are extremely lucky as you can seemingly getting amazing pricing and packages including Premium and thats before the redeemable discount.

I don't mind paying, I just find Fitbit UK inconsistent with their UK competitors and their US website. I find it unfair and its putting me off from being loyal to Fitbit now.

Am I the only one feeling this way?

Best Answer

Another disgruntled ionic owner ..... wasted most of today on hold trying to talk to someone to get some idea of what is going on.  The number listed in the recall FAQs for Australia apparently is the general service line and after almost an hour on hold I was told that I needed to call a different number which resulted in another hour on hold. Only to be told that my registration had not recorded properly and I needed to register again ..... waited the 30 minutes as suggested on the verification website and nope .... an hour later still nope ... tried the online chat - was advised to keep trying as lots of others are having the same issue ..... tried again .....tried again ....again.... again etc ....... almost 9 hours of trying ..... still no joy.

Best Answer