Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

Hi, I have reached account verification but the location on that page is wrong. I have entered Australia address in my refund processing but during account verification, the location is showing as US.

Where in account setting can I amend this pls? I can't seem to find it..

FYI I bought the fitbit in Australia and been living here. 

Thanks in advance! 

Best Answer

Thanks - discount linked worked perfectly and finally got my discount email.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Look at pizza check’s post. Link for the discount code.  https://myhelp.fitbit.com/s/devicediscount

Best Answer

@Fredbumble   Your Ionic will eventually stop working as Fitbit will remove it as a device.  I don't know how long it will take.  Fitbit recalled a different device years ago.  I never used it, so I don't know how long it took to remove it.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi - I'm based in Norway, and can confirm that the refund and discount applies here as well. Process worked fine for me, but the discount code was trapped in my spam folder for an hour or so, while I was waiting with my usual lack of patience... The Ionic has been removed from my account now, so I'll go right ahead and order a new Sense. Or two. 

Best Answer

https://help.fitbit.com/en_US/ionic.htm

4th FAQ has the information you need.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, an interesting development. I went through the process. I was never asked to agree to disable device syncing like the folks here have said.

It took about 15 minutes before I could use the reference number but I got the discount codes immediately once the reference number worked on that link in the email (and on the confirmation page).

Haven't seen the following on any page(s) either. I have PDFs of all the confirmations.

"We'll permanently disable device syncing within 7 days. You'll receive an email confirmation after we disable device syncing. You'll receive your refund in 3-6 weeks."

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Look at pizza check’s post. Link for the discount code.  https://myhelp.fitbit.com/s/devicediscount

I had read Pizza's post but it didn't occur to me the link would work even if I hadn't got an e-mail from Fitbit saying I would get a refund and would get a code.

I still don't have an official e-mail.

I followed the link above in your post, and it worked.. I got e-mailed a code instantly.

Now I'd still like something official from Fitbit saying I'll get the refund and when.... (ok it said 3-6 weeks) but knowing how much and that I'm definately getting it is important.

Best Answer

I think Fitbit has just stepped up.   In the news this morning I see there is a recall.   Will have to see what it is all about.  

---------

Found recall news is related to the Ionic watch and burns.

Best Answer

Update: It's now been 15 hours and I'm STILL getting the "Reference Code not found. Please allow 30 minutes after registration on our registration website for our Reference code to work in our system." My email containing the reference code for return / refund says nothing about nuking / disconnecting the device like everyone else mentions. Does anyone at Fitbit read the post and offer assistance??

Best Answer

It was on the 18th of may 2020.

I contacted Fitbit support about a charging/auto counting steps issue.
Followed a few of their try resetting bs steps...

That same night, I woke up to a extremely heated wrist, very hot to touch ionic and it was making a whirring sound and was depleted of battery.

Still have the image in my mailbox. (doesn't look all that bad, but it was very discomforting for a few weeks)

IMG_20200518_091924 (1).jpg

Had to send my ionic to them, including charging cable.
I received a replacement unit, which has been 'normal'.

Then I saw a newspost somewhere about a recall on the ionic...
Why didn't we receive an email, an alert in the app, something... 

dissapointment #87

Best Answer

@DaveN.  Looks like we have the same problem. It's been almost 24 hours with me and I still get the same message. I reached out yesterday to Fitbit via DM on Twitter and their customer service told me to wait. I've just sent then another DM and told them that I've waited as they asked and it still doesn't work.

Best Answer

https://myhelp.fitbit.com/s/devicediscount re-enter the code you received initially 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys,

Is this a region specific recall? I'm in the UK.

I'm given up on Live Chat for an answer, tried a few times to no avail... might try Twitter?

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i recalled from belgium...
received the code, checked prices for a charge 5 and a local retailer offers it cheaper than the fitbit store WITH 40% discount...

Best Answer

I have the same issue. I live in Barbados which is not listed. Trying to contact customer support is a joke since no one ever replies. All the website does is send you around in circles. After investing in Fitbit’s expensive flagship fitness watch, I believe the service from them should be better than this. Why can’t they simply check and see who has Ionics registered and operational and use the App to make refund/replacement registration easier? 

Best Answer

Thanks! Did they contact you or did you reach out to them? I'm not fussed about a discount but a refund would be good... there are plenty of of other fitness trackers out there 😉

Best Answer

I had to contact them... which i really don't appreciate, as I have been on a receiving end of an overheating ionic... I was expecting more.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

I started the recall process at 08:36 after waiting 40 mins so the code would be accepted for the next step. I completed the process and received my discount code at 09:55

Best Answer

How is the refund process handled? Surely they want the faulty Ionic returned too, right?

Best Answer