Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chats, Challenges & Laughs 2nd home

ANSWERED

For all my Chats, Challenges & Laughs peeps! Since we can't get on the threads I thought I would start a discussion area for us. We may not be able to keep track of points standings easily but we can still talk.

I miss you!

Best Answer
2,024 REPLIES 2,024

Years ago, my husband's cousin owned a coffee shop which was in the town I worked in.  I went there nearly everyday and ended up buying freshly ground beans by the pound.  From her shop, I purchased a couple of black air-tight (they suction out the air when you close them).  So, I'm guessing what you read is accurate.

Had some crabby days which my husband had enough of last night.  I'm trying really hard today to be a pleasant person to be around.  It's not easy.

Wondering how everyone is doing.?.  Happy Spring (Happy Fall, Jan) 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

USW - 218.0

LW - 190.6

CW - 191.4

Still up in the air on the see-saw. 

Because we've been short handed at work for so long, my desk and the desk next to me are both just piled (and I mean huge piles) with paper. I'm just able to keep up with what I need to do but don't have any time to tackle the back-log of 'not urgent, not important' tasks. We just hired one new person three weeks ago but she has been out sick a lot since being hired (and hasn't arrived today yet either). They just hired a second person who starts today (and showed up) so I'm hoping I can soon re-focus on my own work instead of splitting my time between 5 different jobs.

Got my first vaccine last week, my son and daughter also got their first shots and my hubby is scheduled for his first this Wednesday. 

Working really hard on re-focusing my focus.

Hope everyone has a terrific week!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CJ_Here @Cele21 Thank you ladies!  You make me feel better saying it is hard to be  a pleasant person and try to focus.  I often think I need to practice being KIND.  When you think someone has really poor judgement or is incredible stupid ....I wonder if I can practice trying to be kind.    For instance a 49 yer old  man who marries and 17 year old girl.  Could I empathize with him?    Just not comment???  If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.   Right?  I think I can do that.  Maybe.  Probably.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess it depends if you know the 17 year old girl.  It would certainly make one wonder why and how it could ever last.  I feel for her.

And, @Cele21 , I hope the new employees stay, catch on quickly and are workers so that your stress can be reduced.

Headache from 3 hrs sleep and probably too much sugar (early Easter for me).  Ugh.  And I pulled something in the back of my knee.  Double ugh.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I joined Weight Watchers on Thursday 11th February weighing 124.8 kg (275 lbs), by Monday (my chosen weigh in day) I had lost 1.8 kg (4 lbs) & on Monday I lost a further 2.1 kg (4.5 lbs).  So I now weigh 120.9 kg (266.5 lbs) so I am very happy with this.  I know a few of you may be familiar with WW so you will know what I mean when I say that everyday last week was a blue dot day and I achieved 120 fitness points.

We are having some issues with our house.  Our fence down one side needs replacing especially as now the next door neighbours seem to have acquired a German Sheppard with access to the front garden.  The problem is next door is a rental property, so Mum contacted the agent who told Mum that he has taken photos and sent them to the owner who doesn’t think it needs repair.  We don’t believe he sent photos.  We took pictures and showed the staff at the council offices who gave Mum a number to contact re disputes they agreed the fence needs replacing.  Hopefully, it won’t come to that.

As well as the fence issue one of our internal doors with a lock would not unlock so we couldn’t get into the room.  My brother was going to try to drill out the door knob but then realised the drill was in that room.  So he ended up having to use a mallet to knock the door knob off.  We will have to replace the door but it can wait.

Also, our upstairs bathroom sink had a leak, which resulted in the cabinet under the sink flooding, so I had to throw out loads of stuff.

My state went into a five day lockdown last week due to a covid case in hotel quarantine that got out – due to using a nebuliser and the mist from the nebuliser contained the virus and it spread out of the hotel room when the door was opened.  One of the staff there was contaminated & it spread to several people.  It is all under control now & we have no local cases and have had several days of no new cases.  It just goes to show that even when you think you are right on top of things things can go wrong.

Our vaccination roll out started yesterday with the Prime Minister (PM) getting the second dose.  The first dose was administered to an old lady who came to Australia as a Polish refugee after the war.  It was amusing as she was sitting next to the PM but didn’t realise who he was and wondered why there was so much attention and why he kept talking to her.

I hope you are all doing okay with the bad weather you all seem to have been experiencing.  I hear it has been particular bad in Texas.  Our hot spell is hopefully over with some lovely cooler weather.

Elaine

• How is your granddaughter after her school was exposed to covid?
  • Glad to hear your depression is lifting.
  • I agree with you about technology.  It is something that does cause me anxiety when things go wrong, which they often do.

Catherine

• When I saw the date for your MRI I thought you’d already had it.  Here 3/2 would mean February 3rd.  Hoping everything is okay.
  • You mentioned a part time job, did you have this job before you started your new one – how is the new job going by the way.
  • I can’t like humidity it just causes me to sweat.  I can’t even wear sun screen.  Genetically I am very lucky skin wise.  Although I am 57 I always get told I look younger as I have very few wrinkles.  I put this down mostly to genetics, being overweight, never smoking , rarely sunbathing and just socially drinking.

CJ

• I appreciate how you are feeling about erratic eating.  I joined WW as I needed a push to stop my eating, it was becoming to the point it was controlling me.  As a result of me trying to eat better so is my brother – he doesn’t have much of a weight problem but he is on cholesterol reducing medication.
  • For most part our weather is not humid.  So, it is only really humid for some of the summer and occasionally at the end of spring and the beginning of autumn.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know what happened but the message below was when I wrote about a month ago.  Hopefully, the next message will be the correct one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For some reason I seem to be unable to copy & paste into the forum.  I'll try again.

Hi Everyone, sorry for being MIA. The plug on my laptop stopped working so I had to be very judicious with my use of the laptop only using it when I really needed it. But I have found another plug which fits so I am back in business.

Weight Watchers is going well. I started on 11 Feb at 124.8 kg (275 lb) and so far I have lost 7.2 kg (16 lb) and I’m currently 117.6 kg (259 lb). My goal is 85 kg (187 lb) although ideally I would like to get to 70 kg (154 lb). I have been tracking all my food and I have really reduced my intake. I love the fact that I can eat loads of fruit, eggs, chicken & salmon - foods I love.

Hope you are all getting nicer weather. Here the weather is awful. We have had nothing but rain for the last few days. But I mustn’t complain. Down the east coast of New South Wales & Queensland has been flooded. On the breakfast programme they were showing pictures of single level houses and all you could see the top of the roofs. Areas of Victoria have also been flooded, but hopefully we will be okay. Just over 12 months ago some of these areas that have been flooded were in the bush fires then of course everyone was then caught up with the pandemic.

My brother has rejoined the workforce. He is with an job placement agency and is only doing casual work but he has been placed at a factory for five days a week and for 7.5 hours per day – not sure for how long but at least he will be getting some money in.

Again, Victoria is covid free. On Friday some of the restrictions are being removed. We only need to wear masks on public transport, taxis & ride shares. We can also have 75 % capacity of our stadiums. On Thursday night there is an AFL (Australian football) match at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) or as we call it The G. The two teams playing have high membership and its normal capacity is 100,000. They should easily get 75,000 in attendance and that will make it the biggest sporting crowd in the world in the last 12 months.

I have finally joined the 21st century and I now have a smart phone. It is easier for using the Fitbit & WW apps (my tablet is full so it was difficult to load anything new). But I still prefer to type properly on a keyboard. As I don’t really use social media (I go into Twitter about twice a month & Facebook about twice a week for a few minutes at a time) I am using it mostly as a phone, text and the Fitbit & WW apps.

ELAINE
   I am doing WW online. There isn’t a meeting near me and as I don’t drive it is a hassle to get to the nearest one. I don’t do zoom or skype or any of those virtual hook-ups so I am really just doing it by myself.

I agree counting points in WW is easy. I am mainly doing the points in WW but I also record in Fitbit to ensure I am eating enough. If I don’t have enough calories I find it difficult to lose weight, it sounds strange but I have to try to eat around 1200 to 1500 calories per day to lose.

I’ve got an elliptical machine, about two weeks I decided to give it a go as I hadn’t been on it for over a year. Big mistake – I did it for 10 minutes and damaged both my knees, I was in agony days.
   How is the painting going?

CJ
   I can sympathise with you and your lack of sleep. My sleeping pattern has been disrupted and I’m in a bit of pain. I’m getting on average around 4 to 4 & a half hours per night. The other day my Fitbit registered on 1 hour & 58 minutes sleep.

Are you still managing to get all your walks done?

Compulsive eating has nothing to do with being weak, spoilt or impatient. Like all addictions there is usually something a lot deeper that we either don’t recognise or are in denial. Stress is a biggy for binging and I think everyone on the planet has had a stressful 12 months or more.

CELESTE
   Jealous you have had your first vax. The roll out here is very slow. My Mum is 79 so she should have had her first jab this week but our doctors still doesn’t have any supply. The government says we should all be done (both jabs) by October, but not holding my breath.

Hope your work slows down soon. It is so easy to get overwhelmed.

I really know what you are going through with your knees. I just take prescribed anti-inflammatories for a few days when the pain is really bad, then come off them for at least a week. My surgeon is hoping I can wait till I’m 60 before I need to replace them, that will be in another couple of years.

CATHERINE
   I hope your health issues will soon be resolved.

How’s the job going? I hope you have seen an increase in sales, the stress cannot be helping your health.

Glad to hear your relationship with your sister is better. I have a very close relationship with my brother (I’m nearly four years older). I’ve seen first hand what it is like for siblings to not get on, my Dad & his brother were estranged (my uncles wife was the source of the problem).

GLENDA
   I agree that you can often choose how whether to be in a good mood or not, but sometimes circumstances can overtake you.

I have been using sweeteners for decades, I would have to go back to sugar if I couldn’t have them as particularly in coffee I need it to be sweet.

We don’t seem to have heard from Margaret for awhile. I know she is around as she is part of the challenges in the Fitbit app. I just thought then when we had stacks of people in this forum and we used to do challenges. It was a shame that Fitbit stuffed us up and we lost all those people.

Hopefully, this plug will continue to work and I will post more regularly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

USW/LW: 267.2 (I hit my highest again two weeks ago)

CW: 265.8

MG: 250

I can’t believe it’s been ten days since I posted because I write them in my head but don’t stop to actually make the post. 

I have been working on routines and have been steady with devotions, breakfast, dishes, and sweeping the floors most mornings. Today I added 20 minutes of cardio and will strive to make that my next habit. 

Neither Hubby nor I have had any vaccinations, although he should be able soon as a state worker. Our region is vaccinating 65 and older, plus those with health concerns. Essential workers received theirs a few months ago. Our nurse daughter has had both shots and did fine, as have all our parents. A few weeks ago, a 59-year old teacher died the night after her second injection but I haven’t heard anything official.  

I will turn 61 on Saturday, March 27, then we celebrate our 43rd anniversary on April 1. @CJ_Here , I probably noted in years past but forgot that we are so close in age. 

My craft room is completed, and we painted the basement stairway. The difference in lighting is so encouraging. I have been organizing and decluttering my card making supplies. I have a box to go to Goodwill and have almost filled a second box of art supplies for grandkids’ school. I also have generated a lot of trash. 

I will try to add posting to my morning routine, as well as drinking water and tracking my food. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, love reading the long posts (even the repeat one, Jan).  Thank you for converting the weights, @Jan2512 .  I remember being quite young when USA started talking about converting to metrics, kilos, etc.  We have some of course, but we stick with the standards and I'm OK with that because my memorizing days are done.  I also want to say, @Jan2512 , when I read your posts (letters really), I feel your kind, discerning, loving and positive heart shine through.  I feel blessed to know you and will always pray for the best for you and yours.  AND, last but not least, Congratulations on your WW start!!!  16 lbs already is amazing.  I'm glad you're checking your calories.  That's the only negative I've heard is that some people were not eating near enough calories while others were going nuts on the zero point foods and going way over.  I loved seeing those blue dots 🙂

@ElaineJ27, I'm feeling in a better mood myself just imagining your lighter stairway and completed craft room.  I'm happy for you and wish you many hours of quilting therapy.  I think your retirement has been more productive than mine.  I knew we were the same age but didn't realize our birthdays were so close together.  I'll be celebrating mine on your anniversary - a date I now will remember.  I can't imagine 43 years.  We're hitting our 19th this year on the 19th of June.  I'd like to do something special, but I don't know what.  What are the two of you planning? 

Again, I loved the long posts.  I hope we hear from others now.  I've been wondering about @Katrin, Margaret, Steve, ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two days running in posting but not as long this time.

Thanks @CJ_Here for your kind words.  I also appreciate the support and encouragement we give to each other.  As I am the only non-American I think it is easier for me to just convert metrics to imperial (or whatever "old style" measurements are called - I suppose you don't have a name for them as they are not "old style" to you!).  When I was born in England we used imperial measurements but by the time I started primary school in 1968 there was already a movement to change to metric.  We immigrated to Australia in 1972 and it was about this time here that metrics was becoming the norm.  It is funny if you ask me how much I weigh I'll say 117.6 kg but if you ask me my height I'll say 5ft 6.5 (weird).  

I don't know if it is WW but I have been really disciplined this time, I just don't want to be in pain with my joints.  After losing 16lbs I have noticed my knees feel better.  This morning I had two eggs, one slice of toast with a scraping of low-cholesterol margarine, an orange & a cup of coffee for just 5 points so I still have 23 points remaining.  Most days I have been rolling over points to the weekly points so I have another 53 points there if I do feel like something special.

@ElaineJ27 I believe that when things look light and airy it can have a real positive effect on mood.  It is like even when indoors I prefer natural light than putting on lights.  All our walls are painted in soft light colours.  It is just the carpet in our lounge room & my gym / sitting room that is dark.  We would change it as it was only Dad who really liked it but with our dog Daisie's claws we are leaving it as is.

I was going to walk to the post office to pick up the mail (we prefer to use a post office box rather than having it delivered by the postie), but the rain started and I don't think it is going to let up for the rest of the day.  My brother can pick it up on his way home from work.  I have to get back to the exercise and not rely on walking with the weather here this bad.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jan2512   You are right of course Jan.  Health considerations alone for one's self or family members can be so overwhelming.  And some are so brave to face their situation it is amazing.   And as mentioned here, so many people have severe knee problems.  Who would suspect an elliptical would be so damaging to knees.  You would think that they are designed for "low impact" , but surprisingly rowing machines are TERRIBLE for knees too!!  ( I think I read it bends the knees too much)   Health is so unfair too.  People have problems that no one could avoid.  They didn't cause it in any way.  My cousin had polio as a child and now has MS, which is very terrible, and yet she has such a good attitude.  Amazing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

4 points for Wednesday. I still don’t have a fitness tracker and don’t know what step goal I would have right now. 

I downloaded the SparkPeople app and bought The Spark for my Kindle. I had this book on my Nook and read it a few times. Like Jan with WW, this has “sparked” renewed motivation for me. 

I plan to walk outside in about half an hour if the rain holds off. The temperature is about 50 degrees F so I will move faster to keep warm. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for noting points, @ElaineJ27 .  My Wednesday was a 3 and today will be a 4.  I was able to walk around the fields and roads.  While slow, it is walking and my knee is feeling better so I think I'm taking care of it properly.  My knees can't handle the elliptical either.  Only a recumbent bike will work for me.  I can't use a treadmill because of my motion sickness I can't look down.  Even looking forward makes me feel 'icky' - I can't imagine reading on one of them @Glenda .

For the first time in probably 10 years, Hubby is taking a four day trip (I'm sure it will only be three) down to his daughter's and then further down to his brothers.  He's had both of his shots and just needs to get away since there isn't much to do outside this time of year.  I think he is doing it more for me than him ... and I'll take it!  The thought of having days without the tv constantly on and hours for my own uninterrupted thoughts is cheering me up.  I feel bad because I know how it is when you lose a spouse and everyone is just going on with their lives and complain about how irritating their spouses can be.  I'm trying to be very mindful (and in fact may not mention it to my sisters since one of them has a spouse in end of life stage with his illnesses).  But, I need to think of my own well being also and I need this.  I plan to take this time to re-group and start working on clearing up my craft room and finish unpacking all the tubs around the house.  I want to figure out a daily routine that I continue when hubby is home.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same 4 points for Thursday. I walked outside for 30 minutes. I decluttered three shelves of household items in my basement. I rearranged my laundry area and got all paper products together. I buy TP, paper towels, Kleenex, etc., at Sam’s. I filled a large trash bag with containers and little jars I saved with the idea that I would use them for some project in the future. 

I’m glad I have this safe place to admit what I thought was my own shameful secret but I think most of you can identify. Last night I wanted chips. Instead of getting a small bowl of chips and eating them under Hubby’s glare, I waited for him to go to sleep and then finished the half bag that was open. I’m an adult and if I want chips, I shouldn’t feel like I have to eat them secretly. 

@CJ_Here , this points out that I understand how much you look forward to a few days by yourself. It doesn’t mean that we don’t love our husbands, but that we need some time when we’re not responsible for anyone but ourselves for a short time. 

DD2 has decided that she, I, and her kids are going to visit DD1 this weekend. She asked if I want to leave tonight or tomorrow morning and I told her that I will just do as I’m told. She has to arrange herself and two kids, while I have no set plans. 

The facility where my mom lives is now open for visits so I will take lunch to her today and visit. I may wish that I still drank alcohol afterwards! 

My personality tells me that an exercise streak needs to be consecutive days but I usually take off Sundays. I think that it should be okay to call it a streak if I exercise every day that I PLAN to.  Another of my hangups that get in my way. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just checking in briefly then back to work. 

@Jan2512  - I only qualified for the vaccine as I am considered an essential worker. We make industrial hoses and have contracts with customers who have military contracts that must be on time, thus we are needed and have not closed down nor worked from home the entire past year. My husband's job is very similar. My son works in a grocery store and my daughter works with students at a community college and her boyfriend teaches 5th grade.

We have now all had our first shots and the boyfriend had both of his. 

@ElaineJ27 , @CJ_Here  - Not too far off from you in age either - I just turned 60 in December 

@ElaineJ27  - I agree, if you plan on 6 days and hit 6 days, you made your streak. 

@CJ_Here  - We all need 'me time' and husbands just don't seem to have the same need. My hubby would actually make one of the kids go to the store with me when they were younger so I wouldn't be going by myself - even when I really wanted to. Same with taking a walk around the neighborhood. I really think they are the ones who don't like being alone and they project it on us.

Work is still kicking my butt but the boss is back next week and that will help. The new girl also lasted all week, unfortunately, her job and the one I'm covering and the one I'm paid to do don't intersect.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, @Cele21 , are you going to get any help that will actually help you?  It took me retiring before they added help to our office.  I couldn't take care of the important budgeting work and the necessary day-to-day work (not to mention the special projects that kept coming up).  Anyway, I was resentful because I felt the new gal was going to look so much better and capable because of the extra help.  It took over a year after I retired to get that out of my head.  I still have dreams, but I don't feel 'less than' (except in the dreams, lol).

Absolutely, you are on a streak, @ElaineJ27 .  I just today successfully completed my month long streak of walking.  However, the streak was 'at least three times a week, walk at least 30 minutes'.  Per the challenge, I had 'achieved' the challenge goal, but I knew I needed to walk one more day before tomorrow in order to really meet the challenge.  I walked my final challenge walk this morning before I went on my shopping trip.  It felt so good to finally actually finish something I started.  It was nice to just have me to decide when and where I would walk.  I felt like an actual grown-up.  Lots of times, I feel like the kid in the family.  Hubby likes to work together, but usually I'm doing the 'kid' stuff like holding a bag open while he's doing the physical stuff.  We are both leaders / bosses and I hate not being one in charge or just working on my own (I like working alone way better than working with someone else).  I really need to mentally work out how I can be a better helper without feeling 'less than'... or bored out of my mind or irritated because I would do it a different way.  Hubby shouldn't have to deal with my negative behavior all the time just because he likes working with me.  Anyway, I also get the sneak eating.  I ended up only going to one store today because I bought so much 'stuff' to eat while he was gone.  I couldn't trust myself to shop anymore.  I am trying to tell myself that I don't have to eat it all before he gets home.  Pray for me.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CJ_Here  - It's a 'receptionist' position who is responsible for answering the phone, opening/distributing the mail, entering all packing slips as received into our system and handling all discrepancies (damage claims, missing parts, etc.) matching invoices with packing slips and entering into the system to be paid. It's a lot for one person - very paper heavy. The woman who had the position for the past eleven years got moved due to someone else coming up on retirement. The girl they hired lasted a year but was always behind to the point of it affecting other positions. We think she was on anxiety meds that kept her from showing any emotion, even when called out by the boss or getting a warning. She was let go which I thought was the right decision, a year is enough time to tell she just wasn't a good fit for the job. The next girl lasted a day and a half and never came back. She emailed two weeks later saying she had been in a car accident and was hospitalized and didn't have anyone who could contact us and let us know. We all felt it was a scam. Couldn't you have a nurse call? Couldn't you come in instead of e-mailing? They did not let her return. The last girl lasted about two weeks. She was sick with a stomach flu thing for about four days of that and then didn't show/didn't call because she overslept when her daughter was sick. She kept saying she needed the job and if she wanted to leave she would let the boss know, etc. then just stopped showing up - no notice. These are the type of people applying and yes, I'm calling them girls on purpose. The oldest was 26 the youngest was 20. No work ethic, no sense of responsibility and no common courtesy. Obviously it's a lot to handle but they were all told to ask for help if they got overwhelmed - they didn't. The one with the child was told that we are very understanding of family issues, just make sure you call - she didn't. It's very discouraging that no one is applying who seems to really want to work or who doesn't run when it gets hard or who can treat it as a learning experience or a commitment.

USW - 218.0

LW - 191.4

CW - 190.8

Did better than I expected to!

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

Best Answer

@ElaineJ27  Elaine,  A really funny thing about eating what you want......In recent years they have started telling people about to have a colonoscopy to avoid fiber for a few days before going on the "only liquid" diet.  Things that lack fiber that I ate  yesterday were 2  DOUGHNUTS,  about a half pound of bacon, 4 mini croissants with LOTS of light butter, and an omelet with a yolk for a change, with the 4 extra whites,  and a huge lot of sugar free orange marmalade. I think I had some baked chicken too with cheese and bar-b-Q sauce.  I was a little concerned to see what I weighed this AM .........I lost a pound.  Amazing!    Popeye's Spicy chicken sandwich which is the most delicious fast food (none of which has any fiber) is sure to be a choice today.  My daughter Crystal and I have been  going  out to lunch every Sunday for years but now with the pandemic only fast food is a choice for us.  We like it fine.  I diet other days.  Maybe I shouldn't diet more often and lose some weight?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cele21 , I have never seen this before.  On your post, there was a 'Moderator Edit: Merged posts'.  It was done by 'Wilsonfitbit'.  Had you posted two separate posts?  Weird.  Now I know why you can't get your work done if you have to cover receptionist duties.  I had to cover other jobs when they were on vacation which I didn't mind but it did take up so much time.  Unfortunately, no one covered my work when I was gone; just the nature of my work.

Hubby will be home in just a few hours.  So, what did I get done?  Nothing; absolutely nothing.  I binge watched girlie shows and binged while doing that.  So, I've proven him right again and he'll never let me forget it.  I could bust my butt for the next couple of hours, but I don't feel like it.  Who knows maybe I'll do just one thing...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just writing it out helped.. I ended up cleaning for three hours and had chicken drummies / wingettes fresh out of the oven when he arrived.  He noticed the clean.  I moved the boxes lying around (medicine cabinets, faucets, etc) waiting for our bathroom installation that has been put on hold again for a couple of months.  We had our last binge out last night.  Hope we can help eat other stay on the straight and narrow.

Best Answer