Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ornery October 2017 (Step) Goal Challenge

OK.  Winter is coming and that makes some folks ornery.  Well put on those shoes, build up some body heat and step it up!  

How It Works:

The purpose of this challenge is to keep track of your daily step goals for October 2017. This is not a competition to see who can do the most amount of steps, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of 31 for the month can you hit your goal.

Some of you might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and some might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day
Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

Optional
3) Post either your constant or variable (anything you want) goal.
4) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

The optional items list has grown over the past months. That's why the title has steps in (). In the end it's about setting goals and improving habits. So the optional items can really be anything. Running, biking, weight lifting, food goals, etc. Some will add a goal that is not daily - ie. wanting to do so many strength training workouts in the month - so you might be aiming for a number that is less than 31 for some goals -- maybe 5, 10, or 15. Really, it's just completely open.

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and decide scale back the number of steps due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your daily step goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
93 REPLIES 93

Goals

10K steps/day for 31 days + bonus steps

1 Push-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps

1 Pull-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps

Veggie for breakfast for 31 days

14 lifting days

Sticking with my "mini-habits" goals.   I started my one push-up/day goal in June and the one pull-up/day goal in August.  I’m 100% on both since starting.  I often do a lot more than that, but having a couple of really low goals gets me started every day.  The weightlifting goal is a little more difficult because it requires getting to the gym.  Often a challenge, but I'm trying to build muscle and that is the way to do it!

Veggie for breakfast is a new one.  I almost always have some berries, but I won't count those.  I will count tomatoes and avocados, though both are technically fruits.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Count me in for Ornery October.

I will stick with my constant goals of 10 k steps, 35 floors, 5 miles knowing full well that some days will be lower. My overall goal is excellent health, and my September physical showed that I achieved that goal. Low cholesterol, BMI 24.1, normal sugar, low normal blood pressure and a resting heart rate around 50. Of course, being a vegetarian for the past 27 years has something to do with my good health. But, exercise is the key to good health more so than what you eat (within reason). 

I do need to add some exercise besides riding horses, cleaning stalls, lugging hay bales and weed eating. Thinking of adding some yoga, pushups, and core muscle exercises. Will let you know how this goes.

Best Answer

Good day all, long time no chat.  I basically lost my only family member left (well, in Canada, and that I have any contact with) back at the end of June.  I've struggled since in a number of ways.  My steps have been up and down, my eating habits both good and bad, my weight up and down too.  I also made a decision to take a job offer and leave my current job (left Friday).  I got involved in another challenge in Aug/Sep where I did manage to maintain 15000-20000 steps a day but since it's been over I've slipped back into my unmotivated habits.  So I decided since this was the first of October I'd slip back in and make some goals. I'm stealing some of the format/goals from @Baltoscott (OMG, except the pull ups!)

10K steps/day for 31 days

1 Push-up/day for 31 days

No purchased lunches for 31 days

I'm leaving the lifting and any workouts off this list for this month.  My new job includes a commute and I want to see how I settle into it before putting forth goals.  The simplest goal really is getting back into a routine.  The no purchased meals thing may have an exception as there are a couple of people from my old job who want to meet up one night after I've settled into my new job.

Not everything has been bad.  This summer I did a farm share (CSA - community supported agriculture) for the first time.  You basically pay up front and pick up a supply of locally grown in season vegetables for 20 weeks.  It pushed me a little out of my food rut, which was good.  I've also started buying my poultry and meat products from local farms as well, moving away from factory farmed meat.  I've pretty much quit my late night packaged snacks I used to purchase from Costco.  Still have a supply of dried fruit and nuts, but may slowly get away from those as well.  To be fair though, a lot of that was that I couldn't be bothered to go to Costco, and I was eating so late in the evening that a snack didn't make sense.

Anyway, since I'm only just past my halfway point I should go off and take some steps.  I also have a number of loads of laundry to do and I better figure out what I'm going to pack for lunch tomorrow.  Take care everyone.  🙂

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Welcome back, @A_Lurker, we’ve been missing you a lot! So sorry to hear about your loss. Hope the new job will help relieve the stress, in spite of the longer commute.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Greetings everyone. Just trying to get back on track so I'm going to try to keep things basic and aim for more "good days" over "bad days".  Once I get rolling a bit I'll switch over to more specific goals hopefully.

Good luck everyone.

Good Days - 1

Bad Days - 0

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

Ok, I'm continuing on with almost my same goals this month. I've just added the pushup a day and removing the weight goal. So far I've done well with my goals

October 1:

1. 10k steps/day for 31 days - 1/31 (walked 14k!)

2. Run/walk 3 days a week (M,W,F) -13 days - 0/13 so far, but the day is still early!

3. 5 squats/day for 31 days - 1/31

4. 1 pushup/day for 31 days - 1/31

Best Answer

Goals
10K steps/day for 31 days + bonus steps. 1/31 + 14k
1 Push-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps. 1/31 + 19
1 Pull-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps 1/31 + 7
Veggie for breakfast for 31 days. 1/31 (avocado tomato and cucumber)
14 lifting days   1/14

@almost_where @A_Lurker -  it is great to see you challenge “old timers” back at it.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@almost_where: kudos to you for sticking around, in both the Weekly Weigh In and this new challenge, in spite of the set back you’ve seen lately. Hope you’ll find new motivation and support.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Goals: steps 10,, floors 35, miles 5

10/1  steps 13.7 k, 54 floors, 6.6 miles  off to a good start.............

Best Answer

2/31 on the steps

2/31 on the push ups

6/93 on no purchased meals

I decided I need to make that meals goal over all three meals.  Originally I was just thinking lunches, but I passed a Mennonite buffet on the way home tonight.  You can go in and pay a fee per container (small, medium, large) but I came home and threw something together that will do for both nights.

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Good Days - 2

Bad Days - 0

Best Answer

October 2

10K steps/day for 31 days + bonus steps. 2/31 + 10k
1 Push-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps. 2/31 + 19
1 Pull-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps 2/31 + 6
Veggie for breakfast for 31 days. 2/31 (left over grilled beets)
14 lifting days 1/14

Beets for breakfast?  Looks like the veggie goal will change things up this month.  It will be a little more traditional when I post the 3rd tomorrow.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Ok I'm not off to the best start this month with my steps. Yesterday it rained so much all day I couldn't go for my run/walk and I'm not a member of a gym. I just can't justify getting a membership when I know even when it starts to get cold (highs are in the 80s all this week) it won't really be that cold and there is a giant park only 4 blocks away. I'm going to try to do the run/walk today but I may have to put that goal on hold anyway because I'm having hip problems. We'll just see how I feel after I stretch this morning. 

1. 10k steps/day for 31 days - 1/31

2. Run/walk 3 days a week (M,W,F) -13 days - 0/13

3. 5 squats/day for 31 days - 2/31

4. 1 pushup/day for 31 days - 2/31

Daily steps:

10/1 - 14,243

10/2 - 4,934

Best Answer

3/31 on the steps

3/31 on the push ups

9/93 on no purchased meals

I may need to pack a snack (even if it's a protein bar) for the drive home.  I pass tons of local places that I could stop and eat or stop and purchase something.  I suspect I'm under-eating at the moment.  I might start logging for a little bit just to make sure.  On the plus side both days this week so far I've been either close (yesterday) or over (today) my 10,000 steps before I got into the car to come home.

Best Answer

@A_Lurker welcome back. So sorry for your loss- it is a hard thing to get over. So happy you are here 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Good Days - 3

Bad Days - 0

Best Answer

October 3

10K steps/day for 31 days + bonus steps. 3/31 + 16k
1 Push-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps. 3/31 + 19
1 Pull-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps 3/31 + 5
Veggie for breakfast for 31 days. 3/31 (onion mushrooms bell peppers in my eggs)
14 lifting days 1/14

Oct 4 - lifting day today

@A_Lurker — the trip home is a tough one for me too.  I used to eat smallish meals/snacks five or six times a day and when I decided to move to a more traditional breakfast lunch dinner no snacks eating pattern I struggled a lot on the train ride home.  There is just too much time between lunch and dinner (7 or 8 hours), and passing up all the food in the train station was a real chore.  So I moved back to four meals with around 300-350 cal late-afternoon - usually some plain yogurt with frozen berries or mango or pineapple chunks and some toast with some kind of spread (humus, PB, guacamole) before the trip.  That helps the commute a lot.

When I think back to some of my historic bad habits, maybe 20 years ago, I remember routinely stopping off at a drive through burger joint at the end of a 10 hour shift to grab some kind of 500-800 calorie burger and another 500-1000 calories of fries for the nearly 2 hour trip home — and then having dinner.  Four or five times a week! Yikes!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Goals steps 10 k, 35 floors, 5 miles

10/2 steps 10.3 k, 39 floors, 4.7 miles.  Town day but I walked up and down the stairwell several times.

10/3 steps 14.5 k, 47 floors, 6.5 miles

Weather getting more condusive for walking these hills, highs in mid 80's, lower humidity, breezy. Fall colors coming on slowly. Talking to a neighbor I discovered that our neighborhood has gained a new resident. A mountain lion and her cub about 2 miles from my place. So, no more early morning or late evening walks. Mid day will be best. Hope it moves on. Lots of large acreages around us and next to 80 square miles of National Forest.

Best Answer

Changing up my goals a bit this month to both simplify some of the data I have to keep track of, but also include my activity/cardio goals. 100% so far! 

Goals: 

1. 10,0000 steps per day + bonus steps  
  2. Bike 2 x per week = 8/31
  3. Run 3 x per week = 12/31
  4. Lose 4 pounds by the end of October with a weight of 176 (i've lost 10 pounds since 8/10)

Sunday, Oct 1:

1. 12,820 steps - 1/31 + 2,820 bonus steps
  2. No biking today - 0/8
  3. Ran 1.5 miles - 1/12
  4. No weigh in - goal of 176. 4 pounds to lose.

Monday, Oct 2:

1. 11,595 steps - 2/31 + 4,415 bonus steps 
  2. Biked to work - 1/8
  3. No running today - 1/12
  4. No weigh in - goal of 176 (lose 4 pounds)

Tuesday, Oct 3:

1. 11,008 steps - 3/31 + 5,423 bonus steps
  2. Biked to work - 2/8
  3. Ran 1.8 miles (11 min / mile) - 2/12
  4. No weigh in - goal of 176 (lose 4 pounds)

Pretty exhausted last night after both riding to work and running in the morning. Might need to stick to one or the other from now on so I don't burn myself out! 

Best Answer