Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ornery October 2017 (Step) Goal Challenge

OK.  Winter is coming and that makes some folks ornery.  Well put on those shoes, build up some body heat and step it up!  

How It Works:

The purpose of this challenge is to keep track of your daily step goals for October 2017. This is not a competition to see who can do the most amount of steps, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of 31 for the month can you hit your goal.

Some of you might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and some might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day
Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

Optional
3) Post either your constant or variable (anything you want) goal.
4) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

The optional items list has grown over the past months. That's why the title has steps in (). In the end it's about setting goals and improving habits. So the optional items can really be anything. Running, biking, weight lifting, food goals, etc. Some will add a goal that is not daily - ie. wanting to do so many strength training workouts in the month - so you might be aiming for a number that is less than 31 for some goals -- maybe 5, 10, or 15. Really, it's just completely open.

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and decide scale back the number of steps due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your daily step goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
93 REPLIES 93

Okay, I'm in!  Here are my goals:

10k minimum steps per day (31)

6km minimum run: 1 per week (5)

1 yoga class per week (5)

3 arm weights sets per week (15):  5 exercises with 5km weights, 12 reps each exercise)

1/10 (Sunday)

Steps 27,578:  1/31 (7578 bonus steps month to date)

Run: 10km: 1/5 (+4km bonus)

0 yoga 0/5

0 weights 0/15

2/10 (Monday)

Steps 10,338:  2/31  (7916 bonus steps month to date)

0 Run: 1/5 (4 bonus km month to date)

0 Yoga 0/5

0 Weights 0/15

3/10 (Tuesday)

Steps 17,026 3/31 (14,942 bonus steps month to date)

1 Yoga class: 1/5

0 Weight sets  0/15

4/10 (Wednesday)

Steps 10,312 (15,254 bonus steps month to date)

2 Weight sets 1/15 (1 bonus set month to date)

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@emili- for me it's going to be baby steps.  I've removed the stress of the old job and replaced it with a commute.  In the winter this may turn out to be not so great a choice, but the rest of the year it will be fine.  I also have an ex-coworker who I may eventually share the drive with.  She lives fairly close to me here and we are now working in the same city. 

@Baltoscott- yeah, picking up food is so tempting.  I haven't become organized enough to have breakfast before I leave.  I may end up making a protein shake for the road but haven't done so yet.  I snacked on a protein bar on the way home.

Lunch:  whole wheat wrap with salami, cheese, lettuce, a little salad dressing  &  grapes

Snack:  protein bar

Dinner: olives, onions, pickles while waiting, then a homemade sausage and mushroom lasagna

(the sausage was a mix of pork, turkey and water buffalo)

In my time away I've ended up buying more items locally.  I don't think I've bought much meat, veg or fruits from the grocery store.  I've been getting my vegetables from a local organic farm (I bought a share, which gives me 20 weeks of whatever is in season).  It's pushed me to try vegetables that I wouldn't normally have purchased.  Most of my fruit is coming from a local stand (although I know they buy it as a consolidated market).  My meat & poultry is mostly coming from the same organic farm I purchase my vegetables from, although I have branched out into some slightly more exotic fare (water buffalo, alpaca, and ostrich - which I bought last week but haven't cooked up up).

Anyways, on to my stats for the day:

10K steps/day for 31 days - 4/31

1 Push-up/day for 31 days - 4/31

No purchased meals for 31 days - 12/93

Even though I admit I'm skipping breakfast at the moment I'm still counting it as I drive by a number of options and I avoided the free cookies and doughnuts with today's quarterly meeting.   🙂

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Good Days - 3

Bad Days - 1

Made it through dinner just fine then had a cheat session afterwards.  During the first 3 good days I was thinking and craving a cheat session like this but it wasn't worth it. Time to reset.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

4 for 4 so far! 

Wednesday, Oct 4:

1. 10,634 steps - 4/31 + 6,057 bonus steps
  2. No bike today - 2/8
  3. No running today - 2/12
  4. 180 today - goal of 176 (lose 4 pounds)

Walked the kids to school for "walk to school day". Good way to get my exercise in for the day! Here's the Strava activity with photos if you're interested: https://www.strava.com/activities/1214760819

Best Answer

@almost_where, 3 good days to 1 bad means you are 75% there!  keep going!

Best Answer

5/10

Only steps goal met today, but it is the only goal for every day... Still I need to get better at finding time for the arms weight routine or I won't make the month goal of 15 days.

Steps 5/31 10 k goal : 12,198 (17,452 bonus steps this month so far)

Best Answer

My stats for the day:

10K steps/day for 31 days - 5/31

1 Push-up/day for 31 days - 5/31

No purchased meals for 31 days - 15/93

I'm counting all meals today, although technically someone else bought lunch (picked up for a customer visit).  I chose a salad with grilled chicken and feta and took less than half the dressing.  Looking at their website afterwards I figure it was around 500 cals or possibly less.  However, that's in range for what I would normally have eaten.  I will have a look at the other options for the area, so when we get these kind of visits in the future I will be prepared.

On the plus side I have lunch ready for tomorrow.   🙂

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

OMG - I looked at the online menu and this was likely the best choice I could have made.  Oh well, I've learned enough about the options that means I'll likely have the same thing if it comes up.  I'm glad we didn't do the buffet place.  Although I know enough to make decent choices, I'm not sure I'd stay within the 500-600 calorie range.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks like it was a great walk to school day @HoosierDaddy73.  Everyone was smiling!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

October 4

10K steps/day for 31 days + bonus steps. 4/31 + 15k
1 Push-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps. 4/31 + 73 (Woohoo!)
1 Pull-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps 4/31 + 5
Veggie for breakfast for 31 days. 4/31 (fried eggs and quinoa on bed of spinach)
14 lifting days 2/14

October 5

10K steps/day for 31 days + bonus steps. 5/31 + 19k
1 Push-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps. 5/31 + 19
1 Pull-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps 5/31 + 5
Veggie for breakfast for 31 days. 5/31 (spinach onion bell pepper cheddar omelet)
14 lifting days 2/14

Oct 6 - lifting day today

Lifting days are normally M, W, F, and low weight training days on Sundays.  May need to shift some stuff around since we have house guests Sat-Mon.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Goals steps 10 k, 35 floors, 5 miles

10/4 steps 15.6 k, 70 floors, 7 miles

10/5 steps 15.1 k, 57 floors, 6.9 miles

So far I'm 4/5 steps, 5/5 floors, 5/5 on miles

Have added morning stretching/yoga moves 3 -4 days a week. 

Best Answer

Good Days - 3.5

Bad Days - 1.5

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

Went for a run and didn't realize until after that I ran way too fast for my current fitness level. I ran at about a 10:24 pace where I usually average between 11 and 12. This is where using the heart rate analysis from my fitbit really pays off. For a 26 minute run my fitbit shows that I had 7 minutes in the cardio zone and 18 peak minutes. At one point my heart rate got up to 180 and my calculated max heart rate is only 176. My resting heart rate is usually only around 45, if that tells you anything. Better slow down before I hurt myself. haha. 

Thursday, Oct 5:

1. 10k steps/day for 31 days + bonus steps. 5/31 + 8,846 bonus steps
  2. No bike today - 2/8
  3. 2.5 mile run in the rain - 3/12
  4. 179 today - goal of 176 (lost 1 pound; 3 to go)
Best Answer

@Baltoscott just curious: when you say "bonus steps" or bonus push ups, or anything else...are you counting the bonus as cumulative for the whole month? Or just extra steps (or whatever) for that one day? Of course, we can all look at it differently. I've been doing mine cumulative for the month. So I have about 8k bonus steps, but that's over 5 days. 

Best Answer

@Baltoscott yeah, that walk to school was fun. Great way to spend some extra time with the kiddos but also get my daily workout in. bonus! 

Best Answer

I have been walking the Thames Path (England) recently.  The source is near my home and the path stretches 184 miles almost to the sea (Thames Estuary).  Today I did another 10 mile section, which (as often) ended at a riverside pub, with beer and dinner with friends, so I got quite a few steps in.  

Still not doing well with keeping up with those arm weights routine goals, though.  And the teacher has cancelled tomorrow's yoga class.  Slipping!

6/31 10 k step goal: 27,211 steps (34,663 bonus steps month to date)

Best Answer

I definitely have to eat on the way home.  I stopped today at what is primarily a local butcher (meat processor for a lot of the local farms).  I went in to look at a sausage they had advertised (cranberry & maple) and added smoked pork chops and bacon to the purchase.  I did manage to avoid the picard's peanuts display (they are an Ontario business that grows peanuts and markets a wide range of products).  Although they aren't only using local peanuts anymore they manufacture a semi-addictive chip-nut - think potato chip covered peanut.  Anyways, I ended up just purchasing the meat and grabbed my protein bar once I got back to the car.  This was a good choice as I don't think I was in the house half an hour and someone was ringing the bell selling Laura Secord's chocolates.  Argh!

10K steps/day for 31 days - 6/31

1 Push-up/day for 31 days - 6/31

No purchased meals for 31 days - 18/93

Best Answer

Goals steps 10 k, 35 floors, 5 miles

Getting carried away. 🙂 Another big step day, includes a 2.4 mile walk the rest working around the ranch.

10/6 Steps, 18.4 k, 71 floors, 8.3 miles

Also got 14 hours of hourly activity (7am to 9pm)  I usually average about 11 hours active per day.

Today will be a bit lower in steps. I'm 5 for 6 in steps, but 6/6 in floors and miles.

Best Answer

@HoosierDaddy73 -- the bonus metrics I'm reporting are whatever is over the daily minimum -- not monthly cumulatives.  For this particular challenge I like to think in daily terms, at least for push-up, pull-up and step goals -- mostly because I set the success threshold pretty low on those to make sure I do them every day.

Of course, as you say, there is no right or wrong way to do this.  I like seeing the cumulative totals others are doing.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

October 6

-10K steps/day for 31 days + bonus steps. 6/31 + 9k
-1 Push-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps. 6/31 + 19
-1 Pull-up/day for 31 days + bonus reps 6/31 + 5 
-Veggie for breakfast for 31 days. 6/31 (spinach egg white wrap from Starbucks after workout + carrot and beets at home)
-14 lifting days 3/14

When I first added pull-ups to the daily habits a few months ago I was often doing multiple sets throughout the day and totals got pretty high.  That led to a bit of tendonitis at my elbow.  So I've dropped that down to a single set, usually six.  That and changing the grip seems to have helped, but I expect that I'll be staying at that number for rest of the month other than on "pull" days once a week at the gym. 

Oct 7 - bike ride or a hike (I hope) before guests show up this afternoon.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer