Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting Smoking and Not Losing Any Weight

If you recently quit smoking and cannot lose a single pound, read on!

A few months ago, I wasn't sure that I would be prepared or willing to changing at all. Ever. I really liked smoking and eating. Or eating and smoking - either way.

I guess it started on my last birthday, when I said I would quit and told everyone. Then I kept smoking and didn't even attempt it, but kept promising that I would at least try. Christmas came and went. Then New Years (what a good time for a resolution, but who wants to fall victim to resolutions. Aren't they so dumb?!), and then finally, my daughter's birthday in February. Faced with the request to quit smoking from my 5 year old sucked. She asked me so sweetly.

I bought an e-cig (which you should get if you are still smoking) and kicked it around for a while. I half assed my resolve to quit and clung to my cigarettes. But then one morning, I didn't have any left and I have never had another one. I kept it up with the e-cig for about a month until I realized that I wasn't even really smoking the thing anymore. So, I stopped - that was over 3 months ago now. Yay me!

During that time and against my better judgment, I weighed myself. You may not be surprised to know that I didn’t like the number, and I certainly didn’t want it to go up. I started a healthy eating regimen. Mother’s day came and my wonderful husband bought me a fitbit! The best present I have ever received – it has totally changed my life.

My excuse has always been that I am a busy, working mother – I have no time to work out! The fitbit suddenly made me aware of all the extra time I was wasting by sitting on the couch or not walking the dog.

So, after all of these actions: quitting smoking, changing my eating habits, reducing calories by a minimum of -1000/day, walking 10,000+ steps a day, I cannot lose a single pound.

I want everyone out there who is struggling as I am to know they are not alone. It is the worst feeling. After researching many, many hours, it is very hard to find information about this problem. Many websites discuss weight gain after smoking, but don’t explain why it happens. Or they estimate that your metabolism slows by an average of 200 calories a day. If that were true, I would still be losing weight. Many forums that I have found with a history of similar questions/comments being made about quitting and not losing are followed by a huge number of people saying it’s not true. It’s what you’re eating. It’s because you are not exercising enough. They just quit smoking and have been losing weight no problem.

Well, I’m not imagining things and you aren’t either if you are still reading along. I’ve found out that it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for your metabolism to recover. I’m sure this varies from person to person. I’m hoping I’m around the 6 month mark!

Let’s use this discussion to post new information or strategies on how to increase our metabolism again and to make it through without having to pick up another cigarette!

AUG 2017 UPDATE!!

I see that people are still responding to this post, so I thought I would update it. It's been over 3 years since writing it, and a lot has changed for me. First of all, my body has healed and I can now lose weight normally again! For a while there, I sort of gave up. I knew it wasn't going to happen and I decided to give my body a rest. I would say that it took 2 years from the time I quit to where my body started functioning normally again. I highly recommend taking probiotics (24-48 billion) per day, as I believe this would have helped me with my gut bacteria even faster. I still take probiotics everyday now. I made some half hearted attempts at weight loss during then and now, which were mildly successful and only failed because I stopped. Now I'm down 27lbs after 4 months of keto and feel great.

For all of those just starting the non-smoking life, be patient. I know it's hard, but you will recover. You will flourish and you'll be healthier than you've ever been before! Give yourself time to heal. The body is amazing, just think of how long you've been smoking and how short a time it will take to heal from that. Amazing!

Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187

I would like that

Best Answer

I am the same can't do nothing and my wedding is in September so upsetting 

Best Answer

Join our Facebook page!

Best Answer

Hi all. Another update from me: Well, after finishing the patch regimen I have stalled again..for 4 weeks! Still doing WW religiously and even upped my activity. Still no movementon the scale. I honestly believe the original poster is right and it takes time for your metabolism to heal so hang in there! I will check back in with my progress, hopefully with good news next time. 

Best Answer
We have started a page on Facebook Found it might be easier for us all to communicate. Look me up and I will add you!
Melissa Snyder Andrews

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I'm going to keep updating here so others can find it like we did. I don't Facebook anymore anyways. 🙂

Best Answer

I am still 10lbs up 

Best Answer
0 Votes

We started a Facebook page!

nonsmokers who want support!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I havent smoked a cigarette since August 2017 and been trying everything to lose weight. Apple Cider Vinegar, changing up my work out, watching my calories, I do cardio an hour 4 to 6 times a week, sometimes twice a day, weight training every other day but yet I been in the 270's since October 2017. It's now May 7th and I feel like I'm going crazy. Everyone telling me I'm gaining muscle but my clothes fit the same and my huge pot belly is the same size. I lost 4lbs in 7 months. Something isn't right. Even if I wasnt 100% perfect with my diet I should have at least lost 30lbs

Best Answer

I hear you! Tomorrow will be my 1 year mark. 

I have gained about 10 to 15 lbs.  

My only suggestion would be to cut back actually... you may be doing more harm then good by stressing your body out so much. 4 hours of cardio a week is double enough. 

Otherwise I don't know what the answer is. I will tell you if I start to see weight loss. I workout 4 - 6 days week 45 mins day (30 mins cardio). 

My eating habits on the other hand need some improvement. I eat healthy food... Just tons of it.

Best Answer

Friday will be 2 years for me after smoking for 39 years. I track all of my food and do an hour of cardio every morning and the scale isn't moving. I gained 20-25 lbs when I quit and have been working diligently to lose it for the past year and a half to no avail. It's getting harder and harder to stay motivated. I huff and puff and sweat like crazy during my work outs, but like you my clothes aren't fitting any differently. Everyone keeps telling me it's because I'm getting older, but I'm not buying it. I had lost 20 lbs with relative ease right before I quit, so I know that diet and exercise work.

Best Answer

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello 
I am glad you found us.
We have started a Facebook group to communicate easier.
We all seem to be facing the same problems and none of us have found good results.
Nonsmokers who want support is the name. Look us up for an add to the group!

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Beachgirl!
I am glad you found us.
We have started a Facebook group to communicate easier.
We all seem to be facing the same problems and none of us have found good results.
Nonsmokers who want support is the name. Look us up for an add to the group!

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer
0 Votes

@70Misty  since I am about to quit smoking I figued this thread would be a decent place for support ... however it appears it's just a continuous ad for Facebook... over and over and over again ... not on Facebook and not intention of joining .  Wondering where the moderators are or if they care . 

Best Answer
I don’t think everyone is on the FB page. I’m on FB but not the page.

Sent from Laura's iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's gets frustrating when people see me eating a cookie or a piece of cake. They're quick to point at it and say "That's why you can't lose weight". They don't understand all the hard work and diet I put in day in and day out. I know it has to do with not smoking because November 15th 2016 I did the no pop, candy, bread, and fast food etc for 30 days. I cheated a bunch of times but I still went from 270 to 259 with no exercise but I was still smoking. Then Iost and anther 8 the next 30 with no exercise again. I'm only a year removed so it's not age. And it's not my diet cause I eat the same way I did them and now I been working out. So I should look like a crackhead 😂😂😂😂 sorry for the long reply. Just frustrated and passionate 

Best Answer

Congrats on the one year anniversary. I'm looking for my in a few months. Keep me posted on your journey and hopefully your body bounce back to normal soon 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds like you’re in the same boat as the rest of us. It will be 2 years Friday since my quit and a year and a half of trying to lose the weight. My doc tells me that even with the extra weight I’m healthier than I was when I was smoking, so that’s something to hang on to anyway!

Best Answer

It is not an ad for Facebook. Some of us decided it was a good place to take our chats. It is a private page. I still get the emails from this page as well, it was just harder to follow. Good luck with quitting. It is a hard thing to do, but so well worth it! Stay strong!!

Best Answer
0 Votes