Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting Smoking and Not Losing Any Weight

If you recently quit smoking and cannot lose a single pound, read on!

A few months ago, I wasn't sure that I would be prepared or willing to changing at all. Ever. I really liked smoking and eating. Or eating and smoking - either way.

I guess it started on my last birthday, when I said I would quit and told everyone. Then I kept smoking and didn't even attempt it, but kept promising that I would at least try. Christmas came and went. Then New Years (what a good time for a resolution, but who wants to fall victim to resolutions. Aren't they so dumb?!), and then finally, my daughter's birthday in February. Faced with the request to quit smoking from my 5 year old sucked. She asked me so sweetly.

I bought an e-cig (which you should get if you are still smoking) and kicked it around for a while. I half assed my resolve to quit and clung to my cigarettes. But then one morning, I didn't have any left and I have never had another one. I kept it up with the e-cig for about a month until I realized that I wasn't even really smoking the thing anymore. So, I stopped - that was over 3 months ago now. Yay me!

During that time and against my better judgment, I weighed myself. You may not be surprised to know that I didn’t like the number, and I certainly didn’t want it to go up. I started a healthy eating regimen. Mother’s day came and my wonderful husband bought me a fitbit! The best present I have ever received – it has totally changed my life.

My excuse has always been that I am a busy, working mother – I have no time to work out! The fitbit suddenly made me aware of all the extra time I was wasting by sitting on the couch or not walking the dog.

So, after all of these actions: quitting smoking, changing my eating habits, reducing calories by a minimum of -1000/day, walking 10,000+ steps a day, I cannot lose a single pound.

I want everyone out there who is struggling as I am to know they are not alone. It is the worst feeling. After researching many, many hours, it is very hard to find information about this problem. Many websites discuss weight gain after smoking, but don’t explain why it happens. Or they estimate that your metabolism slows by an average of 200 calories a day. If that were true, I would still be losing weight. Many forums that I have found with a history of similar questions/comments being made about quitting and not losing are followed by a huge number of people saying it’s not true. It’s what you’re eating. It’s because you are not exercising enough. They just quit smoking and have been losing weight no problem.

Well, I’m not imagining things and you aren’t either if you are still reading along. I’ve found out that it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for your metabolism to recover. I’m sure this varies from person to person. I’m hoping I’m around the 6 month mark!

Let’s use this discussion to post new information or strategies on how to increase our metabolism again and to make it through without having to pick up another cigarette!

AUG 2017 UPDATE!!

I see that people are still responding to this post, so I thought I would update it. It's been over 3 years since writing it, and a lot has changed for me. First of all, my body has healed and I can now lose weight normally again! For a while there, I sort of gave up. I knew it wasn't going to happen and I decided to give my body a rest. I would say that it took 2 years from the time I quit to where my body started functioning normally again. I highly recommend taking probiotics (24-48 billion) per day, as I believe this would have helped me with my gut bacteria even faster. I still take probiotics everyday now. I made some half hearted attempts at weight loss during then and now, which were mildly successful and only failed because I stopped. Now I'm down 27lbs after 4 months of keto and feel great.

For all of those just starting the non-smoking life, be patient. I know it's hard, but you will recover. You will flourish and you'll be healthier than you've ever been before! Give yourself time to heal. The body is amazing, just think of how long you've been smoking and how short a time it will take to heal from that. Amazing!

Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187

@70Misty  I counted 6, yes I said SIX posts from @70Misty  on ONE page all of which point to a Facebook page ... count your posts for yourself, a bit excessive perhaps but I am out of here so feel free to post the same thing in response to almost every post that lands here 

Best Answer
We're just trying to make it easier to share and communicate, so chill.  Join don't join it's no big deal.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

Im am very sorry you feel this way.

The reason I kept posting to everyone was because I didn't want anyone to miss the opportunity to hook up with us where we were discussing our issues.  My thoughts were only to include everyone.

I do not work for said social media group.  Please accept my apologies.

Best Answer

@70Misty  no apology necessary, none at all ... actually I apologize for making the comment insinuating that you were somehow working for Facebook which was unjustified, the correct term is serial poster which is something easily done, ( guilty of the same thing here in the past), and perhaps done without even realizing it .  In any event have a nice day 😀

Best Answer

You've done a great job !!! Our private Facebook group is such a help to everyone and far far easier to communicate with others 👏👏👏👏👏 thank you 

Best Answer

Thanks!

We all are fighting the same issue here.

I feel that it is amazing that a doctor, none of our doctors can explain why have this weight gain.

All I can do is keep smiling and doing what I feel is healthy and safe for my body.

Best Answer
It would be so much easier to tell people I'm suffering from blah blah
blah. That way I don't have to constantly defend my workout or eating
habits to eveyone. I swear it gets tougher everyday and I think about going
back to smoking cigarettes. Tired of the Food Police who see me eating Thai
food and the first thing they say is "You can't eat that. That's why you're
not losing weight" they have no idea how much I worked out the week before
or how much in working out after or how many calories etc what I'm eating
is.... I need some encouragement guys. Please
Best Answer

@Booya  the 1st thing that comes to mind is that you have quit smoking which is a major accomplishment and is one that i have yet to be successfull at (but it will happen) .  As for the dreaded food police, they need to focus on the serious offenders like twinkle or donut addicts  not people indulging in some Thai food which is legal in most states anyway .  It causes one to wonder when you see people eating deep fried corn dogs and snicker bars while the food cops are off looking to bust someone for Thai food consumption if there isn't some hidden agenda there .  

Weight gain or not loosing weight after quitting smoking Is normal, quitting is the important thing here ... when the food police or fitness nazis feel the need to comment you might want to download a shakesperian insult generator and keep a few replies on hand .  

Best Answer
Love it! The weight is a price we pay to be smoke free. Keep it up. And we all need to cheat a little on our diet because it doesn’t seem to matter how good I eat or how bad. Better to just be healthy!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Me too!  I've been thinking I'm crazy.

Best Answer

I want to jump in on this thread and give regular updates about my weight loss woes since quitting smoking. Hopefully this will help others get some perspective. I'm new to fitbit, in fact I still don't have my tracker yet (payday a cometh), but I've been recording my diet and exercise for the last two weeks using other apps so I have a general idea. 

I am 27 days into quitting smoking and as of 2 days ago I am up 5 pounds in 25 days, 247 to 252. I came to this thread because I've been racking my brain as to HOW a person can average 750-1000 calories a day under a goal that is actually BELOW his BMR. I walk somewhere between 3-5 miles per day, I hike with a 20 lb pack on 5-10 miles a week, and I'm starting to hit the gym more frequently (I absolutely hate that place fyi). Before I quit smoking I was able to lose 15 lbs in 5 weeks with only minor changes which are far less than what I'm doing now, I mean like walk just one mile a day and eat 750 calories less.

It's too the point I want to cry, I've been documenting EVERYTHING I do and consume and people still try and tell me that there is NO way I am gaining weight cutting my calories and exercising this much. Reading that several of the members on here are not reporting weight loss for a year or more is extremely discerning to me. When I quit smoking I figured there might me a little weight gain for a month or so but it would be a small hiccup in my ultimate goal to be the ultimate ninja warrior.... no that isn't right, I'm just trying to get fit and lose some weight. I've always been active, just a little portly. 25 years of being over-weight and 17 years of smoking are enough, I'm sick of people staring at me strangely because their girlfriend is less endowed than me. 

I've always been a regular type of person, I mean usually within an hour of waking I have to go. Now I go days with no ehh.... relief. I've noticed that it's only on days I sleep in or have no coffee which I can't go. Yesterday I began drinking kombucha again so hopefully that can get my guts in check. I also started home brewing kombucha again this week, started cold brewing some coffee for those days I'm off work, and I bought some Miralax because hey, I like to cover my bases. I miss the days of having those massive.......reliefs, when I go now its just.......meh.

But seriously, this is going to be a challenge and I'm wondering how far I'm going to need to push myself to get back on track again. I have a date with a scale tomorrow and at some point I'll post about the horrible things smoking cessation did to my body the first few weeks. I'm still a little bitey so if I'm snippy it's the nicotine withdrawal.

Best Answer
It’s a strange process for sure. I’m 2 years post quit and still struggling to take off the weight. Right now I’m struggling to even keep trying but as soon as I stop with the exercise and food tracking, I start gaining. It’s horribly depressing tho my doctor says I’m still healthier now as a non smoker. I too hate that everyone has an opinion that I’m either not working hard enough or else it’s because I’m 54 and menopausal. I’m at the point I feel like I could just stop eating all together and it wouldn’t make a difference. Pretty discouraged.

Sent from Laura's iPhone
Best Answer

Hi beach girl and everyone else, 

just thought I'd write and let everyone know that after nearly two years quit I've been diagnosed as being hypothyroid.

i gained roughly 8 pounds after quitting that wouldn't move no matter what. Gained if I exercised , constantly craved sugar. Felt tired all the time , poor exercise tolerance (I'd be in bed after a workout and aching for days) 

3 months after I quit my thyroid was showing a steady decline, and was tested every 3 months from then. But (I think) because I'm not over weight my doctor didn't feel it urgent to start me on levothyroxine. After 18 months my TSH finally hit 11.   Although I wasn't gaining more weight I was physically wasting, looked exhausted, limp thin hair, awful pmt and constantly just feeling bloaty and water logged.

my doctor said this has nothing to do with quitting. i didn't believe him to begin with , I was certain this was triggered by quitting. Although my previous blood thyroid tests showed a low TSH, it also showed a low t4. So smoking masked my hypo, it gave me a false metabolism. 

Now ive been taking thyroxine daily and I feel great, lost weight and then some. I'm so happy I quit smoking, but there should Ben more awareness out there about hypo after quitting. Could've saved me a year of being ill thinking I was going to eventually get better 😞 

if you can, get your thyroids tested 

love holly 

Best Answer

Wow what an absolute idiot 

she's trying to help people 

if you looked at the Facebook page you would see !!

bore off 

Best Answer
Thanks. I’ve been treating my hypothyroid for years. My doctor had run a battery of tests and all my numbers are where they should be.

Sent from Laura's iPhone
Best Answer

Thanks so much for your help and support. I decided to take the month of June off and start back fresh in July. The only excersis was once a week on Wednesday when we have our 40 and over Basketball game. I ate what I wanted to and didn't care about the scale. Well I gained about 9lbs and on July 1st I weighed 286.8. So far every day I been walking 2 to 3 miles every day, no pop, no alcohol, no potatoes, fried food, chips, cookies, (well one small bag it chips but don't tell anyone) no fast food or fried food. I'm happy to say I weigh 274.4 on July 10th 2018. It a little scary considering I couldn't lose 10lbs total in 8 months of working out like crazy. Still no smoking :cigarette: and I'm hoping my metabolism is finally fixed. It will be a year of no smoking next month on August 8th. I hope the scale keeps going down. 

Best Answer
Congrats! I’m taking a break right now as well, trying to get motivated to start again. I’m 2 years post quit. Hoping my metabolism starts working again soon too!

Sent from Laura's iPhone
Best Answer
I am 500 days quit with a total weight gain of 30lbs. I started Weight
Watchers 4 weeks ago and am down 5lbs. This is as far as I gotten with any
food plan. I will check back in in another 4 weeks. Right now I think it
is just water loss. Fingers crossed.
Best Answer
That’s great! I’ve been thinking of trying WW as I’ve done it in the past with good results during my smoking days.

Sent from Laura's iPhone
Best Answer

Reading this thread brought back so many memories, oh the frustration of learning to live without smoking!!! I quit smoking in 2005 for good...from 2001-2005, I quit and restarted each year accumulating 10-15 lbs each year!!!! by the final attempt I was finally free and 70 lbs heavier...it took me a couple of years to take off that 70 lbs by exercising and eating healthy, but man I was never the same again...I think anyone who quits smoking needs to be extremely kind to themselves...quitting smoking is hard and living smoke free is even harder...be good to yourself, be proud of what you have done and take good care of yourself...your body needs some extra love an patience to overcome this...exercise and eat healthy, take care of your body. I don't know of anyone who has not kicked the habit without some effort. But you can overcome...if you can quit smoking - you can literally do ANYTHING!!!

Best Answer