Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss from just walking 5 miles a day?

ANSWERED

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight just walking their 5 miles a day and watching what they eat?  I am worried that 5 miles is not enough to really get the weight off.

Best Answer
3 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Sadly, the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume.

So - if walking 5 miles and your general metabolism burns X calories, as long as you consume X-1 calories, you'll lose weight. Slowly, lol, but you'll lose weight.

So, it all depends.

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

I would add that if you work on picking up your pace, you will burn more calories in your five miles. At 59, my weight-training coach convinced me to try running (hadn't done that since age 20), and I actually got to the point of running 6 miles. You could check out Couch to 5k or other apps that help you move from walking to running. Just a thought; may not appeal to you! Good luck, however you attempt your goals!

Best Answer

Thank you eveyone for the thoughtful replies!  Very helpful.  I have started to up my game a bit by jogging intervals 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes.  It as already helped! Was 212 in the end of November and am now at 184 thanks to a low carb diet and fitbit. Dropped 3 of the those pounds since starting to jog.

I am religious about getting my 5 miles in a day and have not missed a day since I started this plan.  Still have a long way to go!

Thanks again!

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Sadly, the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume.

So - if walking 5 miles and your general metabolism burns X calories, as long as you consume X-1 calories, you'll lose weight. Slowly, lol, but you'll lose weight.

So, it all depends.

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer

I would add that if you work on picking up your pace, you will burn more calories in your five miles. At 59, my weight-training coach convinced me to try running (hadn't done that since age 20), and I actually got to the point of running 6 miles. You could check out Couch to 5k or other apps that help you move from walking to running. Just a thought; may not appeal to you! Good luck, however you attempt your goals!

Best Answer

Like the others have mentioned here, it's really a combination of factors.  There's no magical number as far as seeing results.  Biggest important factor is definitely burning more calories than you are taking in each day.  You can walk 10 miles a day but if you eat a ton of junk then you'll not see any improvement.  You don't have to eat 2 stalks of celery a day , just make sure to find that sweet spot where you burn more than taken in.  Also as mentioned before, the more your push yourself during an exercise session, the more you burn.  I've also found that if you have several sessions of moderate activity a day, Fitbit detects it as having more calories burned than 1 session of high activity then being 80-90% sedentary for the rest of the day.  Takes walks during breaks or lunches if you have the time to spare.  I've lost 60 lbs so far from doing things like that.

Best Answer

As everyone has already said it isn't just the walking that will do it, you have to manage your calories.  I walk on average 5 miles every day and have for the last full year and with calorie management have lost 100lbs.  So yes you can lose significant weight just walking.  I don't go to the gym, I don't go running, I don't have another program I do in addition, just walking for the most part.  It really is about calorie management, exercise of any type just lets you consume more calories without gaining weigh. 

Best Answer

My husband who is 78 and looks 58 used to own a gym.  He still works out 3x a week.  HOWEVER he clearly says that working out for him now is about staying fit and muscles are currency for when you are older.  Regarding weight:  IT IS IN THE KITCHEN AND WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH.  It is not only the calories but the QUALITY of calories.  In other words, the nutrition.  Eating empty calories does nothing for the cells of your body.  I need to drop 30 pounds and play high end tennis regularly which is good for fitness.  The worst time of day for me is (was) at night watching tv.  So no more junk in the house and it is not easy but I have to try to trick my mind.  I am super conscious of what is going in my mouth as nutrition not just food.  I use the food journal here it really helps to monitor caloric intake and nutrition.  You do not have to be a crazy gym person and beat up your body to drop those excess pounds.  AND odd as it may seem, meditation and quiet moments AWAY from the tv really do help destress the body.  So inspired by everyone. We do watch the Biggest Loser and always wonder:  ok, what do they look like a year later?  It takes resolve to do this but I love the message about walking every day even if you think it is not enough eventually it does add up!  Put the music on, dance around the house and hug that amazing body of yours that loves you for getting healthy!

Best Answer
keep on moving - find a buddy system or group
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

I would love to join your red tennis show group on FB so using your link to paste.......sounds great!

Best Answer

Sounds good @elegantspirit !

Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Walking is great exercise.  But, as others have said exercise is only plays a small contribution in weight loss -- its all down to eating.  Why?  Our bodies are very efficient, so we only burn about 100 calories per mile.  The calories burned while walking 5 miles is about the same number of calories in a muffin and cup of coffee! 

So, for weight loss its mostly a case of what you don't eat! 

Best Answer

You are so right elegantspirit. It is all what we put in our mouth. I am going to be 75. I walk 6000 or more a day and have lost 20 lbs. I know a lot has to do with how many calories I put in my Mouth. Thanks to the fitbit and there login chart that keeps me strate. I have made our big meal Breakfest at 7 am, snack---fruit or proten bar, around 10, Lunch at around 1, maybe a snack at 3 or 4, Dinner between 6 and 7, then a 1/4 of a cups of nuts and dried fruit or popcorn that I make in a brown lunch bag no oil, butter or salt, just an herb mix. Nothing in mouth after 7 or 8.  And lots of Water through out the day. No diet drink or juices. to much suger. I do make a Proten drink for lunch with lots of veggies sometime. 

Have a Healthy, Happy and Peacefull day.  Keep up the good work.

Best Answer

You can lose weight without even exercising at all if you eat less calories than your total calorie expenditure. How much you eat is the key to losing weight.

Micheal Phelps swims for 6-8 hours per day when training. He also eats 10 000 cals to maintain his weight. Exercise isn't the key to the equation, how many calories you're taking in is. I could go to the gym and burn 500 cals on the treadmill but come home and eat 2 donuts and those calories I just burned are cancelled out.

Best Answer

You may find that you can get a benefit from sometimes walking a shorter route, but faster; or adding bursts of speed. If nothing else, you get some variety. There's some recent research suggesting that a bit of harder exercise can "light the fire" a bit and give you a calorie-burning boost that lasts a while after you stop.  

I used to play hockey, so I'd go really hard for most of an hour once a week. Mixed in with other exercise and a sensible diet, that worked for me. 

Also you can't beat Michael Pollan's advice:  "Eat food, not too muchmostly plants."

Best Answer

When I was getting back into making exercise a routine thing I found it was more productive to go for two shorter walks (one first thing in the morning, the other later in the afternoon/early evening), rather than one long walk.  On shorter walks I tended to walk faster, and kicked my metabolism up twice a day, rather than once.

Best Answer

I agree - I space my stepping out usually two times - once in the morning - which is where the majority of steps come from and then at night - works out pretty good - keeping the ole metabolism going.

@gerrymcd wrote:

When I was getting back into making exercise a routine thing I found it was more productive to go for two shorter walks (one first thing in the morning, the other later in the afternoon/early evening), rather than one long walk.  On shorter walks I tended to walk faster, and kicked my metabolism up twice a day, rather than once.

Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

Thank you eveyone for the thoughtful replies!  Very helpful.  I have started to up my game a bit by jogging intervals 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes.  It as already helped! Was 212 in the end of November and am now at 184 thanks to a low carb diet and fitbit. Dropped 3 of the those pounds since starting to jog.

I am religious about getting my 5 miles in a day and have not missed a day since I started this plan.  Still have a long way to go!

Thanks again!

Best Answer

Hi! Sure u can lose weight walking! 45-60 min a day makes great exercise. If u feel walking isnt enough, try a jogging surge every five minutes or so for 30 seconds. Just enough to get your heart beating faster and breathe a little harder. Then settle back into a brisk walk to recover. It makes a walk so much more interesting. Covert Baily called it "wind sprints" as a way to get a much better work out at any exercise: walking, rowing, cycling. Terrible name. Great feeling. Just go a bit faster during your walk for 30 seconds, and then return to your normal walking pace for an acrive recovery from the extra effort. Do not push yourself until it hurts. Thats was craziest advice ever from yesterdecade!!

Best wishes, and have fun with the fitbit! I find it gets me going.  

Best Answer

So glad to hear that weight loss is possible.  Do you use the Fitbit to input your food?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good question. I did before I started eating a low carb diet. Now I am counting only carbs which I don't need the tracker for.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You know, there are other benefits from walking 5 miles a day. You aren't eating when you're walking. (At least I hope not!) And walking or exercising helps get rid of stress and stress eating is a factor for a lot of us. It also seems to make us feel more energetic which can lead to more moving around. I know that after I've exercised a lot I think twice about eating junk food.

fitbit flex user
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance....." from "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
Best Answer