Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss from just walking 5 miles a day?

ANSWERED

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight just walking their 5 miles a day and watching what they eat?  I am worried that 5 miles is not enough to really get the weight off.

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

You are so right. JoanneinCA.  I have learned Walking sure makes you feel much better.

How do you like this CA weather? I love it but hate to drive in it. 

I love walking in the rain.  Have a wonderful weekend.  Keep on stepping..

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too love the California weather, but hate driving in the rain.  Last night I had a car 'right up my tail' on the freeway..... in torrential rain. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi gerrymcd, yesterday coming home on 280 was so bad. The rain and then the wind on top of that was really bad took me almost 2 hrs to get to standford. Have a grate day... Your fitbit pal.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Years ago, when I was young, I found that for my work, I was sitting for 1 hour more than I had been, and gained 10lbs. THis started me thinking and experimenting with walking.I found  that for every 10 lbs you wanted to lose you must walk .5 hour on top of your regular activity. So to lose that 10 lbs I had gained I had to walk 1hour to replace my one hour of inactivity plus .5 hour to lose the weight I had gained.  It worked.  So by my calculations, If one wants to lose 10 lbs add .5 hour walking  per day,  20 - 1hr, 30 -1.5 hr, 40  - 2hr, 50 -  2.5, 100 - 5hr.  This seems unreasonable (but I have seen a man in my town who walked the town all day to lose his large amount of weight - and he did) to me at least. I must tell you that my .5 hr walking was equivilant to 3 miles.  So you figure it out.  It tires me just thinking about it. One has to decrease calorie intake along with walking  (less) to do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, that is how I did it when I did lose weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So far I've lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks.  This is great for me as I don't usually lose as much.  I walk around 5 miles daily and put everything I eat in the fitbit.  I try to leave 1000 kcals between calories burned and calories eaten.  I am new to fitbit and plan on increasing steps/intensity when the weight loss slows down.

Best Answer
Kudos to you. You certainly have discovered how to do it for you. I am pretty much still at the reading stage but am going to go for a walk today. I find the fitbit sure helps.
Pat Robertson
piffle@telus.net
If you are forwarding this message please use Bcc and delete any addresses from incoming mail before forwarding.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the words, it is very helpful!

Best Answer
0 Votes

be sure to eat enogh protein. Protein every 2-3 hours you must have protein to keep your metabolism working to your advantage

Best Answer

wow....glad to see you doing that at 59 -- I'm about to be 63, and have had a treadmill (aka=dreadmill) for about 18 years+.  Now that I am older I struggle to maintain and walk on the treadmill for 40 mins. four times a week.  Just pumped it to up to "intervals" two of the four days...it is tough, but my vitals are good...lol

Best Answer

I'm with you regarding the biggest loser show....I, too, would love to get feedback on the their biggest loser in a year.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am 58 and lost 45 pounds in a year and walk 10 miles in the morning for a very long time before work I love it -
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
I agree that it's a combination of factors: exercise, eating well, and other lifestyle choices.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi i jcwootown here i have been on a weight loss mission this year, i watch my carb/ caloric intake. I keep a close tab on my calorie output. i also walk over five miles closer to 7/8 miles daily. It is a slow trudge but i have lost over 25 lbs so far looking to get to 195 lbs. I think the big thing for me in my weight loss quest at 59 is to stay motivated. It is of great importance to me to eat the right foods also.

Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

Jcwootown

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Elegantspirit,

I'm 71, so I really admire what your husband is doing.  I guess I'm probably back at a former point you were at -- that is snacking at night watching t.v.  I do meditate and I read, but I live by myself so there's less to distract me.  Would love to hear some pointers of how you broke the cycle.  I do keep junk food out of the house most of the time, but I still seem to find a lot that keeps me from dropping the pounds.  I even took up crocheting -- the skeins of yarn look lovely resting in the basket by my sofa!  I'm thinking about going back to Overeaters Anonymous again -- or at least buying their Big Book.  I actually gained weight at Weight Watchers recently -- although, wonderfully, my daughter lost 10% of her body weight and is now a Lifetime Member.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do 1-2 miles a day and have cut calorie intake by -500 calories a day... have already lost over 10#'s just this past month. Yes it can be done.

Watch what calories you're taking in, you need more protein and fewer carbs.

Hang in there, keep trying til you find what works for you.  I've only had my Fitbit since the first week of March and I've noticed a difference in my weight, and how I feel!  Good luck : )

Best Answer

There are a lot of great answers on here. Honestly, for myself, I have always found that 80% of my effort went into food and 20% into activity. When I eat better I naturally have more energy and am more active.

Being a good steward to this world means loving all your neighbors, not just ones you think have comprehension.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's all about the eating except you can't do it without the exercise seems to sum it up for me.  I watched the Nova program about running a marathon and the only person who lost wt with all that training was the one also watchiing calorie intake (and several others in the overweight category did all the training and successfully ran the marathon).

I've read vigorous exercise may help reset your weight setpoint so it is easier to lose weight if you exercise vigorously. I've also read people who exercise vigorously are much, much, much more likely to keep the weight off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

well - metabolism has more to do with that than you think..... and the type of food you eat........

I've consistently had few calories in than out - for the last 4 months and haven't lost a lb........  I'm changing the diet though - and that IS working...........  tracking it all helps.

I walked 15 miles last week and gained 3 lbs - from inflammation swelling.

The older you get the more your metabolism slows... just a fact of life....... and if you have injuries that slow you down that complicates it too.

Best Answer
0 Votes
How long did it take u to lose 60?
Best Answer
0 Votes