Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit One Not Working While Unplugged from Charging Cable

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello all, my one is all of the sudden having issues. It is fully charged, and when I go through the reset process I can get it to respond while it is in the charger. When I pull it from the charger I cant get it to respond, light up, sync, etc... are there other alternatives to reset this thing?

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

OK, so the Android OS should be fine.  Without wishing to be patronising, I take it you get updates through Play Store?  Have you set this to automatic updates?  Go into Play store, hit the three bars to the top left and go down to settings.  Under settings, you will see "auto-update apps".  Just make sure it is not set to "don't auto-update apps".  You should get updates automatically.  If that does not work, hit the three bars again, go to "my apps and games" and press the round arrow.  This will show you any updates that you have.  Just out of interest, what version of the Fitbit app do you have?  Go to the app, press on your profile pic at the top left, and go down to "help".  Press that and the version number will appear at the top.

Best Answer
0 Votes

According to my app: Version 3.10.1  (20243447)

Not sure what that all means, but if you do, please let me know.  Thanks!

Anne

Best Answer
0 Votes

That means that you have the latest update issued a week or so ago.  You appear to be up to date on everything.

Best Answer

I'm not trying to be coy here but if my FitBit was working the way it did, I would be able to see these updates.  When it's on the charger you can see the wording.  As soon as you take it off the charger it's like a possum..  Nothing, dead, no wording.  Can't turn on or off.  Put it back in the charger, the words show up again.  This was everyone's beef on the blog.  The exact same thing was happening to them all around the same time.  The Fitbit person finally admitted to me they stopped updating.  That's how I got my info.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have my Fitbit in my hand.  I know it's fully charged because while it was plugged in it showed a "full battery".  Took it out of its charger and again...nothing.  does not respond to holding down the button to the count of 10-12.  3 times was another suggestion.  I'm at a loss.  You tell me everything is great and working and I'm telling you that everything is not great and Fitbit One is not working.  Any other idea's or suggestions for me to use?  I REALLY want this doohickey to work!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, on my app page where it says "Sync Now"  there is a red circle with an exclamation point in the center.  What does that  mean?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ennabird they probably have nothing to update on the one, it's an old established tracker. the version I'm running is 6.64, latest version. it's not a conspiracy 🙂 

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1372

Best Answer

@Ennabird just saw this post where you mentioned it only turns on in the charger, in this case, your battery is dead and no longer able to be charged. you'll have to purchase a new tracker or take your chances with a used or old/new stock item on eBay or other marketplaces (without Fitbit's warranty) or replace it if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Best Answer

This is the same behaviour (seems OK in charger, dies the moment you take it out) that people have been describing for over a year. If you read through the 100+ comments, it always traces to a Fitbit One running 6.64, and literally nothing fixes it. Buried somewhere in there a couple of months ago, I believe someone mentioned being told Fitbit was ::cough:: encouraging ::cough:: us to migrate to a wearable Fitbit and while I would never suggest that 6.64 was designed to break our Ones so they could offer us a discount on a wearable (and thus visibly advertising for Fitbit) version, I cannot deny it looks like that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kctinMA when the tracker "seems OK in charger", it's because the battery is dead, the power from being plugged in is how it appears to turn on. LiOn batteries die within a few years, whether in a Tracker or a Mini-Helicopter. The 6.64 update is the latest version of the firmware, so of course people with old and dead batteries are correlating it with the software, however the update previous to this (6.60) actually improved battery life, mine (with a new, replacement battery) lasts around 2 weeks between charges. nobody is forcing you to do anything and Fitbit will discount a new tracker by 25% if you call them and mention your one battery is dead.

Best Answer

I am well-versed in how batteries work :). There are numerous reports of people with brand new fitbits running 6.64 that didn't work. There is somewhere in this long thread a well-controlled example of exactly how 6.64 killed otherwise working Ones. I know mine was perfectly fine with lovely long times between charges, and then I updated to 6.64 and it died immediately. Your experience is one of the few I know where you've still got a functioning One, but the experiences of dozens and dozens of others on this issue are different. And yes, I know Fitbit will give you a new tracker w 25% off, because they don't produce a tracker meant for pocket use any longer, and want everyone to be using a wearable version. I took advantage of it and have an Alta, but when it dies... 

Best Answer
0 Votes
That didn't have the decency to offer me a discount
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dy1007 that's unfortunate, did you call them or use the online support? I'd try again, if you phoned it in, try the online version and see if you get a different answer, it's worth it to save 25% https://help.fitbit.com/

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kctinMA then you recognize, the batteries won't last forever, usually 3-years at best, though I have friends in challenges with original battery one's that are still running! it's been years since Fitbit manufactured any ones, so any "new" ones are actually new/old stock, and it's commonplace for the batteries to be dead and non-chargeable out of the box. they replaced the one and zip with the inspire, although it doesn't track stairs, it can be worn as a clip or put in a pocket. personally, I scored a new replacement battery on eBay for $10 and installed it myself, mine was sitting dead for like 15 months and figured I wasn't going to make it worse and it was relatively easy to replace; warmed the outside with a heat gun (you can use a hairdryer) to loosen the glue and pry it open, held the soldering iron for a few seconds on existing solder, pulled out the old, and put the new wires onto existing solder, held them a few seconds with the soldering gun, snapped back the cover (glue was still tacky enough to hold it together). I'm not an advanced soldering guy, it was super easy and happy with a new battery, it lit up right away (already was half-charged), used up the battery, recharged, loaded the 6.64 firmware, and have been a happy camper since 🙂 

I switch between 3 discontinued units, the one, the zip and the Surge. I'm very pleased that Fitbit still supports using its discontinued devices. Cheers!

Best Answer

Here's the thing...my battery is fully charged.  The icon shows this when plugged into the charger.  Once off the charger, the **ahem** thing is useless...dead...nothing happens.  I'm very upset with Fitbit.  Money hungry typical corporate greed!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have that model too and still nothing.

I think everyone who has a ONE should bombard Fitbit with all their complaints!!!  For some reason they think I'm the only one when I have read they are 100's!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your message is right on!

Everyone should call, email or do an online chat at the same time to complain about the One!!

Bombard the hell out of them!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Who wants one of their god awful  gigantic, unattractive wrist designed fitbits??

Obviously, they have men in mind with these eye sores. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sigh 

I had a One forever (well actually I made fitbit replace it once because of this software situation, back when their customer service was small enough that bombarding them made them give in). I somehow lost it last year and just picked one up on eBay that has this issue. I’m so annoyed. I was carrying a p.o.s. Garmin around in my pocket that I pulled out of a wristband and it just pales in comparison with what the One could do. I also refuse to wear things on my wrist. I know fitbit no longer takes care of their customers but I had to grumble with all of you here.

Best Answer

What kills me about this is that there are people out there saying theirs still work...yeah right!  Plus Fitbit C.S. is saying that my battery died.  Nooooooo...it didn't.  I asked them to explain why did EVERYONE'S BATTERY DIED AT THE SAME TIME?!?!?!?    Why can't this company finally come clean and be honest?!

Best Answer
0 Votes