Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit One keeps turning off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am having trouble with my fully charged One shutting off during the day.  I've tried the turning it off and back one three times and that doesn't work.   Been happening for 2-3 weeks. 

Best Answer
226 REPLIES 226

I sent an email on friday to Fitbit support with a promise of response within 4 days. Havent receive anything as yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's happening to me as well. After some investigation:

1. It appears that the Fitbit is resetting itself when you press the button to "turn it on".

2. The display is dark and unresponsive for several presses of the button before finally displaying Fitbit 6.0 (or whatever firmware number you have).

3. It hasn't tracked the steps between the time it shut itself off and the time you discovered it.

4. It's frustrating as heck and Fitbit support won't acknowledge it as a legitimate quality-control issue and recommends you purchase a new tracker.

I believe that this may be a firmware issue, but I suspect it's actually a manufacturing issue wherein the solder that connects the battery to the logic board has cracked and separated. My One is out of warranty and after doing the Fitbit recommended reset and test (which I have already done on my own twice - to no avail) I plan to get a different tracker and open up the One and look at the solder joints under the microscope.

I believe that I'll see the solder joints are all split and only making sporadic contact. It's likely soldered with no underfill and after time and exposure to wear/tear/outdoor elements, the joints have fractured.

I will report back.

Best Answer

I checked my One religiously throughout the day (every 1-2 hours) and it still exhibited these symptoms. I'm glad it doesn't for you any longer.

Best Answer
I tried something which may point to the solder joint issue - mine used to
turn off at least once a day - I have now left it sitting on my desk for 2
weeks, hasn't turned off once! which points to the issue of movement and
bad joints!

*Alan Houghton*
Best Answer
0 Votes
My Fitbit has finally gone bonkers! No matter how many times I sync it or reset it, it keeps on freezing up and will not log data unless it feels like it! I have given up on it. Will be looking for an alternate device now, not Fitbit. I really liked the device but it has let me down big time. Shame on Fitbit for not admitting a problem with the devices and for not even trying to keep their customers happy in some way.
Best Answer
My Fitbit One is displaying the wrong time and recording about 30% of my steps. I followed the reset instructions suggested by Fitbit but no help. Mine is 16 mos. old and out of warranty.
Best Answer

It may just be coincidence, but after the first time I noticed the behavior described by so many people here, about 2 weeks ago, my Samsung Galaxy S4 started having bluetooth issues as well.  It is constantly displaying a message "Unfortunately, Bluetooth share has stopped", after which the bluetooth service crashes and restarts.  I have Android version 4.3 Jelly bean.  My wife's fitbit one did the same thing yesterday.

This feels like a fitbit problem to me.

Best Answer

One of the mods deleted my post detailing my interactions with Fitbit Customer Service. Apparently they don't want details of CS conversations posted for the world to see.

I'll nutshell it:

CS is not interested in finding and fixing the flaw in the One, much less acknowledging there is one. This is within their right. Do we have to be happy about it? Nope.

If you contact CS regarding the problem with the One, they will offer you 25% off a new tracker, unless you're within your warranty period. You can accept their offer and get another tracker or you can take your business elsewhere. Those are your available options. Fitbit has given me no indication that they care about our issue, or have any intention of actually fixing it. Maybe they do, and if so, great! I challenge them to open up and let us know what they're doing. Let us know that we matter.

I accepted the 25% discount offer and got an Alta, which I hope I will love. It's my sincerest hope that this one lasts longer than my One. If it does not, I will choose differently in the future.

Best Answer

To recap:

1. Fitbit One resets itself or shuts off entirely.

2. Fitbit One shows Fitbit 6.60 upon button-press (restart).

3. Resetting doesn't fix the problem and the shut off will recurr randomly.

4. Leaving Fitbit One alone on a flat surface minimizes or eliminates the shut offs (mine has been sitting on a shelf for four days now and hasn't shut itself off once).

5. Likely a hardware or firmware issue.

6. There is no permanent fix at this time. Fitbit Support isn't acknowledging this is an issue.

Best Answer

Anybody here also had the issue of the fitbit crashing the bluetooth share on the wireless phone that it's syncing to?

Also, they still sell the FitBit One, so it seems like if this were a software or firmware issue, they'd be working on a fix... unless they are preparing to obsolete it.

It's the only fitbit tracker that I can pop into my pocket, I don't care to have one of the wrist models.

Best Answer
One option for getting the attention of Fitbit, or at least some satisfaction, is to post a buyers beware review of their trackers on many seller websites! Briefly explaining 1) how often the One is failing, 2) how Fitbit does do not acknowledge a systematic product defect or that they plan to fix it, and 3) that Fitbit Customer Service isn't standing behind their product, only offering token compensation to buyers who must risk buying one of their trackers a second time!

John
Best Answer
We could also post to other social media....negative tweets....and the shareholder message board.  Negative feedback gets attention.That said, though....I did love my Fitbit One.  I was very fortunate that mine had worked since Dec 2012...3.5 years!  I would have accepted that 3 years was it's battery life.....except when mine "died" along with so many others!   It seems that there is a problem which has not been acknowledged.  The fact that many of you have fitbits which are dying long before 3 years, causes me to pause and consider other trackers.  I am learning to relax and enjoy NOT tracking my steps....
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issues as others have described with the One turning off.  Resetting only helps for a while.  I do notice that when I plug it into the charger it shows a full battery, but I think that's an error.  After resetting and plugging back into the charger, I see the battery is actually very low, but then quickly shows full.  Not sure I'm getting much of a charge at all. My One is 18 months old and this is extremely frustrating.  Customer Support has not been any help to this point - several emails have been exchanged with suggestions that do nothing to help with the problem.

Best Answer

Cross posted this to the Android App forum... FYI

Factory reset of the phone and reinstall of selected apps seems to have solved the bluetooth share issue.  I still saw issues yesterday where the fitbit would stop syncing with anything, until after I did a reset of it.  Had to do that 2 or 3 times.  

Now, something that I changed, can't remember when I fiddled with these settings, perhaps when I started doing the adventures a couple weeks ago... I had been messing with the settings for "All-Day Sync" and "Always Connected".  Last night before bed, I turned both of those off.  So far today, syncing seems to be working correctly.  Fingers crossed...

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I went on here to see if there was anyone else having this problem and to see if the had any solution for this problem.it is a liitle frustrating to see soooo many people having the same problem. But when mine shuts off my steps number goes back to 0. So it looks like I have taken no steps at all during the day.My wife bought a fitbit one so we could challenge each other but  after about 3/4 months of having it. It is starting to have the same problems that everyone else on this forum is having.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have my fitbit one for a little longer than one year and I also have the same problem. I have this problem for a couple of months now. When I sleep it shuts off, so my alarm won't go off in the morning. Or it is on in the morning and when I arrive at work it is shut off.  Feeling very dissapointed by the product and after reading all these posts, very dissapointed in Fitbit as a firm. This is no way to treat customers.

Even after a night of loading, with a fully charged battery, going to work, it shuts off.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have you called customer support? I've had 3 over the past 5 years, and
they were great about replacing the first time, even if it was my fault. I
ran one over with the car, they sent me a new one. Another I put through
the washer and dryer, they replaced it. Overall I've been more than pleased
and will buy from then when this one finally dies.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, i just sent an email and got a quick response. They will replace my fitbit with a new one. Lets hope it will work longer than this one. 😊

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
Best Answer

Yes, if your tracker is under warranty they will replace it. If it's not, they'll offer 25% off a new tracker.

I took mine into my work today where one of our microsoldering techs took it apart and looked at it under the microscope. He didn't see any large soldering cracks, but felt that it was likely a hardware issue and suspected a re-flow of the circuit board would fix it.

That's best guess, though.

Without any word from Fitbit what they are doing or what they plan to do, I've decided to recycle mine. It got so bad, it wouldn't stay on once I started moving it.

Best Answer

I am having trouble with my fitbit one. It has randomly started turning itself off at various times throughout the day. It started last night while I was sleeping, I woke up to find it turned off during the sleep tracker. The fitbit was fully charged when I went to sleep. Throughout the day it would also turn off. I was able to turn it back on for a little bit but as the day has gone on it stays on for less time. I charged it again and did the reset (hold power for 12 seconds, take off charger, and turn back on) it is still not working and the time is wrong on it. Now when I took it off the charger it stays on for a second or will not turn on at all.  What do I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes