Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 Strap is defective in design

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a Charge 2 and love the device. I purchased it in October 2016 and functionally it does exactly what I need, and everything works.

EXCEPT!

After about 7 months while on a high altitude hiking trip in the Chilean Andes, the strap came loose without warning, right where the strap connects to the device. This happened once in the tent and I found it, but then it happened the next day while hiking - and presto - the watch was lost.

I was super impressed with Fitbit, because after explaining politely what had happened, they agreed to replace it free of charge.

I have been using the replacement device now for 10-11 months - and still love it. I depend on it! But then the identical failure occurred - the strap failed in the same place, apparently due to the exact same cause. Except this time I was not hiking, just doing stuff in the house. Luckily I did not lose the device this time.

SO:

This strap has a design defect. It seems many of the Fitbit straps have similar weaknesses. PRODUCT DESIGN - for goodness sake, FIX THIS DEFECTIVE DESIGN! You have amazing products, but this destroys the utility of your product, and truly spoils your reputation. Fix it, please!

Now I have to go search for a third party strap - a real pain.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

@N_J_P Welcome! Thanks for being part of our Community! Sorry to hear about your damaged wristband. I have personally used my tracker for 1 and a half years and just recently had an issue with the wristband (really can't complain if it lasted this long being worn everyday and I am not particularly careful with my stuff). Still believe me the design team is always looking on ways to improve our products. For issues like this the best thing to do is letting our Support team know about it so they can assist you, they will review your case and your tracker's warranty and provide options. I noticed that you already have a ticket with them so I wanted to know if they were able to help you?

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

I have got the same problem. My strap detatched from the body (top of face) so I glued it. Been living with a bad fit (the strap kind of buckled and doesn't look right) and expecting to lose my Fitbit. Today the strap has detatched from the body at the lower end of the face. Help!!

Best Answer

@hulcott Welcome! It's nice to have you on board! For this issue as I mentioned the best thing to do is letting Support know so they can help you. You will also get an email from them to start the process.

Keep me posted!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Perhaps you didn't read the issue the user is having as he wasn't describing what you call damage but rather drawing attention to a defect.

Also why should your experience be used to somehow vindicate the longevity or quality of the strap. Your opinion as to what is considered long lasting and reasonable is subjective at best and ridiculous at worst.

Your response comes across as deflective and avoidance of the issue, I note you adoot this principle with many of your replies. This does nothing to improve relations with your company and the end uset. I trust if I have an issue you won't adopt the same method.

Best Answer

I'm very disappointed to see such a ludicrous and disrespectful reply to your customer base. The detachable wristband design is badly flawed, and trying to gloss over this issue is undermining your brand integrity.

I wear my Fitbit 24/7, which means it gets very little tension and strain on the band. I use it to track my daily activity, which rarely goes above 6,000 steps because I'm recovering from open heart surgery. Despite this low-impact usage, the bands only last about 4 mos. My 2nd one broke tonight, as I walked from one room to another.

No product is perfect, and there will always be issues of one kind or another, but the test of a company is how well they deal with the inevitable bumps. I expected far more from Fitbit than bland, evasive statements that ignore a glaring product failure. 

Best Answer

This specific problem has been raised by consumers many times in the past and still the band design has NOT been addressed. How many replacement bands have been provided to charge 2 users? What will it take for the design team to address this issue? I agree I love my Charge2 but I am about to replace the bands for the THIRD time. I am 70 years old and am not any kind of an extreme athlete. I walk. I take care of my Fitbit. I want a band that does not fail after 7 months.

Best Answer

I completely agree. I started with the original fit bit and had 2 have it replaced 3x under warranty in the first year due to a defective band . Got the newer  design of fit bit charge 2 , 8 months ago only to have that band break after 7 months of wear . This is to be worn 24/7 while working out etc. - why is it such an inadequate design ?? Mine is under warranty and getting a replacement band but I guarantee t will not last . Would never recommend a fit bit to anyone and disappointed in myself for wasting my money on a newer , equally horrible design . This product should be off the market . A $25 timex watch  lasts for years - a$150 fit bit “designed” for fitness should last more than mere months . Once it s a year old u r out of luck . Crazy !!!

Best Answer

Best Buy priced a new band at $30, at which point I was ready to throw away my Fitbit. Fortunately, a quick Amazon search brought up a 3rd party vendor of Fitbit bands. I now have a 3-pack that cost me $10, and the fittings seem sturdier than the Fitbit original. When the Fitbit unit itself wears out, however, I'm moving on to another product due to the extremely poor company response to an issue they created and are unwilling to admit and address. It's the failure of accountability that makes me the most angry.

Best Answer

Had the same problem with the original band. Its so weak it buckles out of shape when I tried to put it back on. Just purchased a 3rd party (2 for 60$!!!) but the attachable part is metal and Im hoping it wont get all out of shape.

Best Answer

Alvaro: it is one year on since I posted the repeated problems I experienced with the Charge2 Fitbit-standard strap - and you replied.

After the second failure I opted to buy a third party strap because it made no sense to give Fitbit a third shot after two identical failures. The good news: the third party strap has not failed, in fact it has been robust and looks and performs as well as the day I bought it - and it cost about half the price!

My question to you is: has the standard Charge 2 strap been redesigned? I'm planning to upgrade to a more functional replacement with more health stuff - and am wondering if I should consider Fitbit, or switch to Apple or something else. Answering the question relating to the strap design is key since it is a critical indicator of Fitbit's commitment to quality and its closeness to the customer. This is important to me.

Please confirm that Product Development have solved the strap problem for the Charge2.

Many thanks.

Best Answer

One problem with your response is that the warranty seems to be a threshold for getting support help.  That is not helpful.

I have the same problem and based upon what I read, this appears to be another of a long list of defects and complaints that FitBit refuse to address.

I was contemplating purchasing the Charge 3 but it too seems to have a lot of complaints.

Best Answer

What product are you considering?  I'm fed up with FitBit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve found the same issue with every Fitbit I’ve owned. The band is always failing. I’ve lost one device in the woods and one in the lake. I also ordered additional bands. Right now I have six bands for an outdated device that has gone to Valhalla.

Currently I have my band taped to the device. Looks like crap, and probably won’t last a week. I’m about fed up with devices that won’t last due to poor design of the bands. I’ll try one more time to get a third party band that will work with my charge 2. But, I’m not buying a dozen. 

Best Answer
Agree the band that came with my Charge 2 was crap. I replaced it with Offinity band. Not cheap but solid. You get 2 1 black 1 brown. Can’t remember but maybe cost me $40 C.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my Charge 2 device for 10 months and my wrist strap has suddenly   failed whilst away on holiday. It keeps coming apart from where it attaches to the device and can no longer be relied on to stay in place. I think it’s only a matter of time before I irretrievably lose the device. Such a shame as it has been great. Is there a proper fix for this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
They sent me a replacement strap when mine broke. Then they sent me a replacement Fitbit when the battery went. Then dito. I think there were some problems with the Charge 2 (which they can't very well fess up to) but they have been pretty good to me under warranty.
PS I love my Fitbit charge 2 - pity it's not been more 'robust'.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you
Best Answer
0 Votes
The “under warranty “ part is key ... after that you are screwed . For a device that is meant to be worn during activity the original charge and charge 2 were terribly designed . I now have the charge 3 ( which I received a discount on due to losing my charge 2 from a broken strap a month after the warranty expired ), so it will be interesting to see how durable this one is ....

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

You can buy replacement bands at Amazon.com. Three for under ten dollars. They work good. 

Best Answer