Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 for Spin Class

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello! I love my Charge HR and am thinking of upgrading. My biggest issue I have with my current tracker is having to put in on my shoe during spin class to get my steps to count (making the heart rate part not usable then).

With the Charge 2 - will I still have to do that to get my steps to count? Or do the different workout fuctions accurately track everything? On average I get about 4,000 steps in a 45min class.

Thanks!

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

How can I track either my stationary bike workout or road bike workout on my Charge 2?

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I set my charge 2 to bike?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just curious.  Why count steps when you are spinning? Spinning is not a step based activity. Neither is riding a bike. So why count steps at all for the activity? 

Best Answer
Hi! I agree that spinning is not stepping, but it's still movement none the less. When I put my Fitbit on Spinning, it counts my heart rate and does not count repetitions (steps). If I tie it to my shoe I get the step count, but I lose out on tracking my heart rate. I guess I just wanted it to track each rotation as a step!

I hope that answers your question.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I'm not as worried about the step count itself but more the mileage.
Spinning doesn't give my milage (which my bike for just fine) and on the
fitbit dashboard if you add the mileage you get the steps (from what I've
seen). I'd rather it give my hr, calories, mileage.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kermit0276 wrote:
Hi! I agree that spinning is not stepping, but it's still movement none the less. When I put my Fitbit on Spinning, it counts my heart rate and does not count repetitions (steps). If I tie it to my shoe I get the step count, but I lose out on tracking my heart rate. I guess I just wanted it to track each rotation as a step!

I hope that answers your question.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the insight. 🙂 

Acctually it does count your steps. It just does it poorly ( like it does for all non-step based activities).
The steps are not visible on your excercise row, as it's not step based, but they are added to your daily total.

There is a couple of of features requested than wants to changing stuff around. Please check them out and vote.  

Note: I think the last one could be up your ally. It's aimed at making it optional to keep/remove steps as a default.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/When-making-Category-Bike-deduct-steps-form-dail...
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Eliminate-step-count-when-Surge-is-in-bike-mode/...
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Option-to-remove-steps-earned-when-cycling/idi-p...
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Activities-Eliminate-steps-when-manually-logging...
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/KEEP-Steps-while-CYCLING/idi-p/906635

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Blueberryrock for spinning class use the spinning mode on the Charge2

For Biking you have three options, let Fitbit auto detect, its not as accurate and no miles, or use the Bike mode and connected GPS with the phone, or Bike mode without the phone.

@Kermit0276 Fitbit uses calories for the common unit, putting the tracker on the leg might give steps, but fitbit ignores these steps in figuring the caloric burn for bike and spinning, these steps are usuwlly caused by bumps in the road.. Without the heart rate the calories would most likely be off.

@ValerieAnne did you do your own investigation, or assume that since steps are added to a walk or a run, they also must he added to spinning.

I just used the tools at my disposal,  the Fitbit app, manually added spinning, the only thing it records is time and calories, no input for miles. Then again your sitting still.

Best Answer

Thanks for the info on finding the Spin option on y Fitbit Charge2.  Would you wear the Fitbit on your wrist or ankle while using the Spin option?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is completely possible to track Biking with connected gps or Spinning (without GPS) on Charge 2. If you don't see these options on your Charge 2, you can add them by following the instructions listed here.

@GrandmaDebbi I'd recommend wearing it on your wrist, that way you can track your heart rate and get a more accurate calorie burn for your exercise. I'd also recommend these three tips to ensure that you get the most accurate heart rate reading during your workouts.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Thank you!  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would agree with this, why count steps for spinning.  I wish it tracked miles, but our bikes at our gym do that for us. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I spin regularly and chose the Charge 2 for heart rate and sports choices. I conducted an experiment with one of my classmates yesterday in which I wore mine and put it on spinning mode and she attached hers to her shoe. We compared in the end and she got 1,000 more steps! I expected her to have more but was shocked by how much difference it made. Obviously we aren't the same person, but we both are experienced and kept pace and that's a huge difference. I still prefer the heart rate and cardio zone info but good to know. I may switch my main goal to calories or active minutes. 

Best Answer

I did the same thing when I teach spin...wore it on my wrist and ankle; used the spinning setting compared to the workout setting compared to setting no activity at all and I got many more steps wearing the Charge 2 on my ankle and not setting an activity! I know we are supposed to wear the tracker on our wrist and it's not great for biking, but I had to run a few tests! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very helpful. Thank you. I will use the spinning option today! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I put my tracker in my sock when I use a stationary bike. Counts my steps and heart rate

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting @Jokerjones how many steps did walk while riding the bike? 

Best Answer
0 Votes