Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 not counting all steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my Charge 2 on Dec 4th. It was working great until this week. It is only counting about a third of my steps. I reset it, I even got a new Charge 2 yesterday and this one is doing the same thing. Was there an update? This is really disappointing and frustrating. I take 100 steps and it tracks maybe 40 if I am lucky.

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

@CallieFitbit Just an FYI, this tracker was a replacement of my original Fitbit Charge 2 tracker, which was replaced due to an issue with the steps not counting properly.

On this new Charge 2, I have rebooted it several times, including 5x in a row. I have been relegated to counting my steps while I walk to verify the accuracy.

While walking yesterday, the arm with the fitbit was swinging normally (non-dominant) and I had the phone app in my right hand (dominant). As I was walking, I needed approx 6 steps to get to 10,000. I counted off 100 steps before it registered 4 steps and then another 25 steps until it gave me another 3 steps to put me over 10,000 for the day. By the time I was done walking, my count and the Charge 2 were off by over 500 steps. This was just on a 17 minute walk. Can you imagine how much it would be off at the end of the day if I were not counting my steps and correcting it throughout the day?

I saw this post that stated "This original one had more serious issue like step count freezes and would miss the whole steps." This is now the second tracker that has serious issues "tracking steps". I am not sure if this is a software or hardware issue but this needs to be remedied. If hardware, I would suggest sending all your replacement trackers back to whoever made them, fix the issue, and then replace the ones for the people who contact you to complain about the steps issue. If it is a software issue, please fix this immediately. I am at the point where I cannot return this to the store, and there is no point asking you to replace the tracker "again".

Can you please tell me what the cause is? I already gave away my fitbit one so I have nothing to go back to. I really do not want to have to use a defective product that I spent good money on because I cannot afford to buy a new tracker.

Best Answer

Hey there @VannessaM, it's nice to see you around! Smiley Very Happy Don't lose the hope yet my friend, I'd recommend restarting your device 3 times in a row by doing these steps:

1. Plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port.
  3. Make sure the button on your tracker is aligned with the button opening on the charging cable. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. Your Charge 2 will begin charging.
  4. Press and hold the button on your tracker for four seconds. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, this means the tracker has restarted.
  5. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Once this has been completed, check this post to see how accurate your tracker should be and to find some great tips to improve its accuracy. 

Keep me updated! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
None of that works! I get 60 out of 100 steps. I got 2 new Charge 2s in the last 2 days and have done every test and reset. UNDO THE UPDATE! I never had a problem before the update! Now my month old Charge 2 stopped tracking my steps accurately on Tuesday and I have gotten Two new Charge 2s this week. I did not get 3 defective Fitbits! ITs your update. Fix the issue. This is not okay and NOT what I paid for!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

A work around I stumbled across is to disable quickview.

It seems at least some Charge 2s are glitchy in counting steps with the screen active.

It's not a great fix, but it seems to help with accuracy for some users.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. I just disabled it and did a test. It gave me a couple more steps, but I am still only getting about 60-65 steps out of 100. I went a month without any issues, then all of the sudden it stopped tracking and with 2 new Fitbits in the last 2 days, it really makes me wonder what is going on. Man Indifferent

Best Answer

Hey @netwolf7 just wanted to let you know that I've moved your post to a more relevant thread so that it will be able to get proper attention. @MarreFitbit has some great troubleshooting steps listed in this thread, so please let us know if these help, or if you need further assistance. Thanks!

Best Answer

@CallieM I already tried everything and nothing works. Two new fitbits, all the troubleshooting listed by everyone and I still only get 60 out of 100 steps.

Best Answer

I also bought the Charge 2 and got one replacement. My steps also are never accurate. I am relegated to count my steps and then shaking the charge 2 to get my steps to the correct amount. Not only is this tedious, but you cannot talk if walking with someone because you are too busy counting steps. If you want to keep sending me replacements, go for it, but it seems like I am not the only one with the issue of inaccurate step counts.

Best Answer

Just one other tip. At least in my experience, the Charge 2 has a great deal more difficulty registering small groups of steps.

Best Answer

Same here. Not happy. Had a charge HR with no problem counting steps and this charge 2 is way undercorrecting. I'm seeing small groups of steps is harder for the new one. So sad! Sorry no new fancy setting to try but another customer not happy.  We all are busy and shouldn't have to worry if this thing would work right. 

Best Answer

I would say it is how you say, the charge 2 step count works fine when walking/power walking, but as soon as I jog with smaller, quicker steps it only counts every 4th or 5th step.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EleonoraL this most likely has something to do with the way your arms are swinging durring your shorter quicker step.The tracker needs to see a slight up/down motion to record a step. I'm not sure if this will help you.

Best Answer

same thing with me. i have my cell by my side on steps. and not counting correctly and its not lettting me know when the battery is low or sync dont work

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Spunkylupe12 havin the cell by your side or not,  will not have no bearing on the tracker counting steps correctly. Holding the cell in the hand, that the tracker is on, while trying to tead and type on the screen might.

As for the battery low notice, this will come after the server is told the battery's conditon, which only happens durring a sync. You say you are having a sync problem. Please review this thread for help with this.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-2/Charge-2-not-counting-all-steps/td-p/1776163/

Best Answer
I do swing my arms when I jog. It should count the steps since my former
Charge HR did without problem. This problem and the still existing problem
with lack of heart beat registration when sweating is very irritating.
Best Answer

@VannessaM @Bobby97z @EleonoraL @Spunkylupe12 thanks for voicing your concerns. Please pop over to this help article for additional information about how your tracker picks up steps. Thanks!

Best Answer

Thanks for the article Callie, I hope that works for others.  I tried that as well when I had the charge 2.  I went through 2 at khols and had to return both. I am back using my old charge HR which is working fine.  It seems the new one may have a different software? Not sure?  I love the way the new one looks, but unfortunately didn't work for me. I hope it gets fixed.

Best regards,

Bobby

Best Answer

@Bobby97z Sorry to hear that, as already mentioned the settings should help but I understand that tweaking your tracker can be time consuming. It is always a good idea to set it on the non-dominant setting to make it more sensitive or maybe even restart it if you wish by doing the following:

Plug the charging cable to your computer or UL certified wall adapter.
Align the contacts of the tracker with the charging cable and plug it in making sure it snaps securely.
Your tracker should start charging.
Press the button for 10 to 12 seconds.
You should see your tracker's firmware version and you can now unplug your tracker.

Still glad that your Charge HR is working fine and helping you count all your steps.

I'll be around!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issues with my charge 2. I got it for Christmas but only been on it for a week.  The step counter is a nightmare it’s hard to consintrated on walking when your trying to get it to work.  My husband says to let it go because of the stress it causes me.   My question is, are they going to fix it?  Because if not I’m taking mine back.  I have turned it  off and on so much they could make it an exercise in its self.

Best Answer