Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 readability in sunlight

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is there a way to adjust my Fitbit in the sunlight? I have to wear my Apple watch to see any screen. Can you help???

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thanks for the detailed information, as well as the time taken while troubleshooting your trackers. I'm sorry for this inconvenience, rest assured your feedback hasn't gone unnoticed as it'll help us to work on our trackers, as well as improve the experience with them. Since you've tried adjusting the brightness level, please check if the Sleep Mode is turned off as when this setting is on, the screen's brightness is set to dim. Then restart your Charge 3 to refresh its performance and monitor its behavior.

If by any chance the issue persists, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Support team so they can evaluate your options and provide you with further assistance. Click here to get connected with them via chat or phone, and make sure to share the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

I wanted to inform you that I'm going to close this thread from further comments. However, if you have any other question, I'd encourage you to start a new thread in the Help Forums to receive help from the Community. Note that you can always visit our Help Site where you can find information about our products and features, as well as troubleshooting steps.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
64 REPLIES 64

Hi,

which model do you have.

appears that some models you can but some you can’t.

alta = No

charge = Yes

Best Answer
Charge 3, I think

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Walkamileiysho ! It's nice to see you around @EnUU !

@Walkamileiysho I've moved your post from the Alta board to the Charge 3 board as your question is related to Charge 3 device. I am glad to assist you with your inquiry about adjusting Charge 3 screen in the sunlight. You can adjust the brightness directly on your tracker. Open the Settings app and tap a Brightness setting to adjust it. Tap to see the options. 

You can find more information about your tracker in this manual.

@EnUU thank you for the helpful information!

I'll be around if you need further help!Robot Happy

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I have a Charge three that I love but I have to wear my Apple Watch at the same time in the sun in Texas. I went to settings. When I touch it there is no reaction that I can see.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried but saw no change in the ability to read it outside when I’m working.

Update:

Barge 3 has only three choices. The only one I see is AUTO. There is no way I’ve found other than DIM and NORMAL. Please tell me if I’m wrong.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

Hi @Walkamileiysho, thank you for your reply. 

I appreciate your efforts to adjust the brightness of the screen. You're right as there are only three options for brightness: dim, auto, and normal. I recommend trying "Normal" option to see if this helps to read the screen outside. 

I am glad to her you love your device and appreciate your feedback, our team is always working on improving our devices and user experiences, and your comments are always welcome.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought a charge 3 to track my swim workouts.  I am swimming outdoors this summer, and cannot see my Charge 3 display outdoors to start swim mode, even on an overcast day.  I have to start the swim tracking before I head outside.  This is obviously distorting my swim times, making the Charge 3 useless for my intended purpose.  Adjusting the brightness between dim/normal/auto does not solve the issue.  Resetting did not help either.  Please help!

Best Answer
I’ve got the same problem. I wear an Apple Watch that I can see clearly in the sun. I know that’s not a solution but at least I can tell where I am on my walk. Texas sun is formidable.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Doesn't have to be the Texas sun to make the Charge 3 unreadable. Even in northern Europe on an overcast day it is impossible to see what is on the screen. Not even possible to read the time and those figures are big. It is only possible to read the display indoors and outdoors at night. They really botched it when they chose the display.

Best Answer

The auto dim feature is inherently backwards. Needs an update and fix

Best Answer

Even when set to 'bright', the screen cannot be read when it's a bright day. ( Even when there is no sun)

Best Answer

My Charge 3 is worthless outside even on an overcast day.  Dim, Auto and Normal are my choices.  Need a bright option!!!

Best Answer

I have the same problem. All of us will have the same problem because it’s a design error. Fitbit should fix it and if they can’t update our models they should need to replace them. The only reason anyone buys this watch is because they exercise. I don’t see any answers from Fitbit in this thread except trying to change it from low, auto or high. I’ve tried them all still can’t see my watch during the day

Best Answer

Normal brightness setting is still unreadable on the Charge 3 outside.  Sometimes inside it is even hard to see. Something happened with the last firmware update that completely screwed up the lighting settings.  I wish we could go back to the prior software version.  I have been a long time Fitbit fan and I think it is time to try a different brand.  This is too frustrating.  Why have a watch when you can't even read it. 

Best Answer

The solution is not a brightness adjustment. It is not possible to make this type of display bright enough to compete with daylight.

What is needed is contrast. That’s why traditional lcd watches can be read easily whenever there’s enough light to read, no matter how bright. They only need backlighting when there is no ambient light.

The cover on fitbits is much too reflective and creates glare. If fitbit used old school lcd tech (silver background, black letters, always on), it would be a FAR superior product, even if some resolution had to be sacrificed. And it’s a watch & fitness tool, not a TV. Animations and other silliness add no real value.

Best Answer

I agree, I can't see the distance and time of my walk because I can't read the numbers in the **ahem**ed screen. Gettimg really frustrated.  Other than that I love the Charge 3. But if I can't find a solution I'll buy a different brand for a new tracker 

Best Answer

I have the same issue, can’t use this as a watch to even tell the time when I am outdoors let alone see buttons to record activity. I have had my Fitbit for just over a year but this issue has only started recently. 

I have tried all the different brightness settings and re-setting the device.

Is there any way to fix this?

Best Answer

@LiliyaFitbit is there anything else I can try?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Except none of the settings work outside. I swear it used to, but then along came an update that removed bright as an option and now its crap =/

I am a lifesaver in Australia and my fitbit is COMPLETELY useless outside where I need it =/

Best Answer