Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 - Yesterday's update is draining my battery

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After my Charge 4 was updates yesterday it is draining the battery in just hours where previously it would take days to drain.

I have turned off all that I can but it is still draining fast.

I just rebooted but not sure what that will accomplish.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Kathy 

Moderator edit:  updated subject for clarity 

removed personal information

Best Answer
136 REPLIES 136

Hi @GodlyOverlord, Mine is on 1.10043, the one before that was 1.10034,  before that was 1.96.29. Just a word of caution, I can’t say for certain but it is possible that when your update banner appears it will be for the current update 1.10076 bypassing the ones in between when it detects that your version isn’t current. If it was me, I wouldn’t update, I wish I could be more help. Good luck!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok cool. 

I did some googling and found this page with all the firmware revisions on it from fitbit
What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update?

And yup im on v1.96.29

My old watch that got sent in for warranty was on 1.100.76

I think 1.100.34 was the last firmware revision that was "good" (i know the last 2 updates both drained the battery) and i'm pretty sure i was on the version that introduced the spO2 monitoring for most of the year without issue.

So yeah imma not gonna update my watch from this version, i can do without the spO2 monitoring (i never looked at it anyway) and atleast this version came with the GPS enhancements and such.

Charged it to 100% at 1pm, its now 7pm and its down to 94% with all the options turned on! So far so good!
The old watch would be probably closer to 70% with everything turned off by now!

Best Answer

Hi @GodlyOverlord, Yes 1.10076 was the latest update from “Hades” that burned the Charge 4 that Fitbit won’t take responsibility for.  I’m glad that your replacement is holding a charge, I hope it has a long life with you.  The warranty on your replacement expires when your original Charge 4 would have expired so if you do have problems with your replacement before then don’t wait to report it to Support because you will still be eligible for another replacement or the 50% offer.  Thank you for the link on the updates. Good luck!

Best Answer

This is a disappointing response. The recent firmware update obviously caused this problem. Buying a new device shouldn’t be the resolution. This is my 3rd and final Fitbit. Not buying a new one. 

Best Answer

An update bricked my last one as well.  Considering bagging it, too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah terrible response.

But now that Google owns Fitbit it's really not surprising. Judging how bad they are with issues on android, google home, android auto, etc (their android 13 has had a wireless charging bug since it released for their Pixel 6s, it still hasn't been fixed. Major hassle considering most of my charging methods (in various cars, work, bedside table, etc) are wireless). Been months now, no acknowledgement or 'we're working on it'.

Pretty much how Google works. Don't acknowledge anything, push barely tested updates then magically fix problems at a whim like 6 months later.

It's been a while night wearing it (about 20 hours) with everything activated as it used to be and this morning it was sitting at 85% usage.

Old watch would be flat by now, or under 10%

Best Answer
0 Votes

My firmware version (Charge 4) is 48.20001.100.76, which does not appear to match any version.  Is there a different place to look?  Mine was fine until about a week ago and yesterday I discovered it wasn't the charger or plug in.  Charge is only lasting a few hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anything new from Fitbit correcting the major fail of the (Charge 4) ridiculously quick drain of the battery due the last update?! Or are they just scamming us to buy a new one?! It’s so insulting and infuriating!!!

Best Answer

Hi @Jkuhlmeyer, Your version is the latest version, (only the last 6 digits are referenced in the updates). Unfortunately it looks like the update is causing your battery problems. There are a few different threads on the forum relating to the recent update and the problems it caused as well as past updates with the same problems. Contact Support, if you are within your warranty you will be offered a refurbished replacement ( pebble only, no charger or band) or 50% off the original price of another device(does not apply to all models), if you are not within your warranty you will only be offered 35% off.  I’m sorry that your device was one of many affected and there is no solution in sight. Fitbit should have a warning… Update at your own risk! Good luck!

Best Answer

So updating my watch to latest software as advised has scrapped it as it won’t hold charge for more than 8 hrs. The Fix is a new device. Really? 

not very happy about being ripped off. Won’t be replacing it. 

Best Answer

I contacted support. They gave me standard troubleshooting steps (I’ve already done them on my own) and they gave me a case number if I continue having problems. I asked about the firmware update and he said they “are not aware of any issues with the recent firmware update”. So they are denying/not taking responsibility for this even though the problem is well documented in the forum. 

Best Answer

3 days on since i got my replacement pebble on the older firmware.

Gone from 100% to 68%. Do there you go, without a doubt its a firmware issue. Standard google turning a blind eye

Best Answer

Does anyone know if there is a hack that lets you roll back to old firmware?

Best Answer

Not aware of a "roll back" although I suggested such weeks back when I first began to have issues.

And now this: https://www.androidauthority.com/buy-older-fitbit-3214765/

Don't think I'm interested in buying anything FitBit in the future with this business model!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My charge 4 battery also drains within a few hours after the last update. I tried all possible troubleshooting but none of them helped. Even if I leave it on the desk with all the apps/notifications OFF and my phone's bluetooth is also off, the battery still drains to 0% within a few hours.

Fitbit tech support were useless! They offered 35% discount for buying a new one... Why would I buy a product after I already know it is bad?? They could tricked me once but not twice...

I just don't understand how Fitbit products still get more than 4.5 stars in customer reviews?

Best Answer

Having the same problem now! I updated a few weeks ago and went from holding a charge for a week to now barely two hours. Customer support says it's my battery. I tried to explain the battery would not miracuously go bad that quickly. 

Best Answer

You will also lose stair counters with the Charge 5 replacement and then all the Challenges go away by the end of the month.

Best Answer
0 Votes