Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 broken bands

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My husband’s Charge 4, purchased in June 2020, broke where the band meets the tracker. The band is intact, but the piece on the tracker that attaches to the band broke off.

i bought new bands but nothing to attach the bands to the tracker. I looked for a phone number to call for Fitbit...can’t find one. I looked for warranty information and all I can find is that the Fitbit has to be returned for warranty.

My husband is currently using electrical tape to keep it on and he does not want to return it and be without his Fitbit for who knows how long. I am frustrated as this is a defective issue and we will likely have to just buy a new one for him. 

Does anyone have some suggestions? 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
91 REPLIES 91

I am now on my 4th Fitbit Charge 4 replacement. The original was purchased in May 2020. The plastic band holders attached to the case broke off making the tracker unusable.  Going through customer service is a painful experience - even with a paid 2-year extended warranty on my device that is not even a year old! In the past I have had to give my information 4-5 times to the customer service rep -- even though it is all in my profile and warranty information.  It takes at least 3-4 weeks to get a replacement.  Some of the replacements you get do not work and then you have to wait another 3-4 weeks for a replacement of the replacement.  It is mind-boggling that these cheap plastic connectors have caused so many of their customers so much trouble!  If i could find replacement parts, I know I could repair this much quicker, and I'd buy multiple sets because this is such a POOR design!

Best Answer
Totally agree! Unfortunately when this straps go again im making the leap
from fitbit, they've lost my trust in the product now 😞
Best Answer

I am having a similar problem with my Charge 4 purchased in June 2020.  It is breaking where the unit attaches to the band and I’ve nearly lost it several times because it keeps falling off. Also sleep tracking is not working well and some nights I get no sleep data at all.  I’m wondering if my Charge 4 is just dying on me.  I am beyond frustrated trying to navigate this site to find help. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best Answer
I emailed fitbit support. Jumped through hoops but did get a reconditioned
replacement.
Unfortunately once its seperating the defective component wont work.
Hope your issue gets resolved.
Defo seems like the charge 4 has issues!
Best Answer

Jenga112, your charge 4 is still within warranty, Fitbit should replace it before the warranty expires. The band connector issue is a design fault and Fitbit need to acknowledge this. Any comments admins? 

Best Answer

I completely agree with the frustrations regarding broken bands/clips.  That has been an issue with 2/3 FitBits I've had (going all the way back to an Alta circa 2014 or 2015, a Charge 2 did make it 2+ years with the band intact, but then the screen went goofy)- the Charge 4 was the quickest it's happened (just over a year and not even with daily wear- probably more like 4-6 months cumulative).  After looking into the options, I settled for the slightly more costly "Limited Edition" Charge 4 with a fabric/woven band to replace the one where the holders/connectors came loose using the regular plastic band.  It seems to be doing okay.  The woven is more flexible and seems to curve better around the wrist at a different "pivot point."  The do sell those separately if someone wanted to switch, by the way. And, now, I am super careful to try and minimize downward "pull" when putting the new watch on.  I set it in the face down on counter with a towel or T-shirt under it, set my forearm into the watch, double check to make sure it's back far enough behind the wristbone (as recommended), then I "push up" on the side of the band with the buckle to get it tight (vs. pulling one or both sides down).  I also see if there are any loose spots on the clips and give them a little squeeze to make sure they are staying tight.  Hopefully, the (somewhat expensive) Lesson Learned from the busted Charge 4 and/or the new system I have to try to prevent it from happening again will pan out.      

Best Answer
It’s great you have found some ways to extend the life of your Charge 4. For me, it’s simply unacceptable that one would have to be so delicate with the device....it’s a freaking fitness tracker! It needs to be able to endure fitness...just saying. Never again FITBIT for me after having a Charge HR, Charge 2, Charge 3 and Charge 4. I’ve had so many because the longest any lasted was 2 years! Although a good price point compared to market, not if it doesn’t last even a year....the life gets shorter with each upgrade! There’s lots of competing products on the market now with the features I am seeking.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

My wife originally bought a Charge 3 and liked it. Three months later I bought one too and I liked it. 15 months later, after the warranty ran out her device died. 15 months after I bought my Charge 3, mine died. After her Charge 3 died she bought Charge 4. When mine died I bought a Charge 4. Her Charge 4 is still working, but mine's band mounting bracket has broken off and getting a replacement is proving to be a difficult process.

I've decided not to wait for the replacement to show up and will get a Garmin device. I have a daughter that is an avid runner who has been on her current device over two years. She gave her original Garmin, which is about 4 years old now, to her son and he's still using it. That's the kind of service and longevity I expected from Fitbit but after reading this and other forums, that's not what they deliver. I'm moving on.

C-ya.

Best Answer

I also had the same problem. FitBit Charge 4 purchased in May 2020. At the beginning of Feb 2020 the connection piece on the pebble broke off and no bands can attach to it. I called customer service and they sent me a replacement Charge 4 Pebble which was labeled "refurbished". Now- a whole 3 months after receiving this replacement pebble the same exact thing happened. The connection piece on the pebble broke off. I contacted FitBit support via chat and then was told to send pictures, which I did. I received an email saying that I need to send the broken pebble at my cost to them for further review. I am very dissatisfied and believe they are just producing disposable trackers.  This is obviously a known problem to them. All I want is a reliable tracker that I know will work and not fall apart after such a short amount of time. I have been a FitBit user/customer for several years and if my issue isn't resolved I am going to have to find a tracker from a company that is more reliable to customer service oriented.

Best Answer
That is definitely what I am considering.

Sent from Jennifer G.’s phone
Best Answer
This was my experience.
Touch wood this refurbed replacement ive had for 6 months now... however im
almost certain when it breaks again (which it will) it will be another
brand i move to. I need to trust the brand and the service and i dont feel
i do. IMO there should have been a product recall or at tue very least
accepting there IS a issue and dealing with user problems quicker. Puctures
and explanation should be enough (with a code written on the paper like
tyey request) instead you then have to package and send off in ORIGINAL
packaging, took weeks for my replacement to arrive, even then thd unit came
one day, the bands 2 days later. The unit was in a non descript box with no
detsils, so what to do WHEN it breaks again....
They wouldn't entertain me without the original packaging yet dont afford
me (the customer!!) The same respect!
Through this whole fiasco i list confidence in fitbit as a brand, and they
make no efforts to change that!
Best Answer
The reason they are insisting on sending them back in original packaging is because they refurbish and send back out to the customer base. They are doing nothing about the design flaw...no recall...no better solution when it breaks....just ship back out the same junk. There are so many discussions on this issue in their OWN community...yet they don’t seem to care about customers talking about going to the competitors! Fitbit used to have good customer service....not sure what happened...but eventually they will find out that you can’t just rely on new customers to replace the loyal customers they had.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Yes- I, too noticed that over the past month or so (actually the duration of this thread), there has been very little acknowledgement/involvement from Moderators or Ambassadors or whatever the FitBit reps have as a title.  Unlike some other topics, where they actually offer advice, or issue a token apology, then repeat the company tagline etc. Which is interesting and indicative of how they are avoiding discussion of the problem- either by omission or intentionally. One good thing about the busted band and the other Charge 4 I had being out of warranty, then not wanting to even try hassling with repair/replacement is that I now have a "free" extra charger to keep in my truck/at work after I opted to get a new whole nother one.  But, as soon as this one goes, I'm also 98% probably going to switch to something else.  And, as a ironic bonus, the fact that FitBits tend not to last too long, I might not have to wait that long before I can make the change. 

Best Answer

Hi there, I seen you escalated this to the support team, 

could you please do the same for me also 

as mine is broke but slightly different 

I have pictures of it as it’s a tear around where i usually put the buckle 

I only evwrybtake it off to charge it and don’t have it really tight either 

thank you 

Ricardo 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I purchased Charge 4 a little over a year ago, it has worked fine but now the piece that attaches the band to the tracker has broken off and I am told its out of warranty, I am so disappointed the tracker part is just fine so I have to toss out a perfectly good tracker because I cannot put a band on it. That's just crazy. Fitbit offered me 35 % off another purchase but I am rethinking the whole fitbit thing, whats to say it wont happen again.I am so very upset over this whole thing But I cannot see anyway to fix this. Disappointed

Best Answer

I got my first one replaced,  second one broke same way after 6 months and FITBIT left me in the SOL category. I AM DONE. FIT BIT FIX YOUR FLAWS. 

Best Answer

@kafers- some thing happened with me. Very disappointed. Wore it in my sock for a while, but now am trying to "repair" it with Q Bond. We've had luck with that adhesive for other things. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Perhaps we all get together and start a claim for breach of warranty and manufacturer defect. This is clearly a well documented and well known product defect. I have been a Fitbit charge 2 and charge 4 user since 2017. I have 6 documented cases with Fitbit all for the same issue - poor design and broken plastic clasps and bands. My advice, seek out a different product should you get the opportunity for a full refund. 

Best Answer

Yeah I am done with fitbit, won't be staying with a company that doesn't take care of its customers.

I am game because this is BS we spent decent money for these and this is
just poor engineering.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I bought my fitbit in June 2020 and I have a very small wrist.  I have to tighten the band far up on the hole part.  It broke and is now no longer in warranty.  I suspect it will not be fixed for free.  I'm tired of all these devices to be honest.  Had an apple watch and it just won't update.  So I'm a bit disgusted with all of these companies who don't stand behind their products.

Best Answer