Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge HR counting steps while not moving

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

my fitbit charge HR is sitting on my desk and has been counting steps! I even won a challenge when it wasn't even worn.HELP ?

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Welcome @nolan19, it's great to see you in the Community! Fitbit trackers have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.  When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, a tracker on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. Many of these situations—such as working or cooking—do include a few steps in-between stationary periods so the tracker tries to give you credit for those steps. If you feel that the tracker measure a huge amount of steps while staying in your desk, please follow the instructions I posted here.

Give it a shot and let me know if that works! Cat Wink

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply I'll check out the link . I'm not sitting at the desk wearing device Ive actually taken device off and it's still counting ! V weird ! 

Best Answer

I tried reset and steps you show above and still while i am sitting on my desk and working on computer my fit bit shows 3K to 6K steps while I may have taken 1K to 1.5K steps

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit beeped saying I got all my steps in...at 8:30 in the morning.

So it counted over 7000 steps that I did not take. This has happened before.

Not off by a couple hundred. But by thousands of steps

Best Answer

Hey @nolan19@shah16 and @lala15, nice to see you here. If you're experiencing the inconvenience with the extra steps while you're not moving, my recommendation is try the accuracy test for steps and also check the handiness set in your account. 

I'd like to share with you this article where you can find all the information about the accuracy of the trackers.

See you around. Cat Happy

Best Answer

Mine counted 94,000+ steps on 8/13 and 24,000+ today.  According to the breakdown these steps were taken in the early hours of the morning (1am) while I'm sleeping and my surge is on the nightstand.  

Best Answer

@Hms83 what a great day to step into the Community! Heart

Have you tried the steps I posted above? If so and you're still having this issue my suggestion is measuring your own stride length, then change this information from your account, once it's ready sync your tracker and let me know the outcome.

To remove the extra steps for those days I suggest to log a driving activity, please follow the steps I posted here.

I'll be around. Cat Embarassed

Best Answer
0 Votes

yeah, I just got the Fitbit Inspire, cooked a meal and logged 668 steps, not very inspired eith this product.

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer

same issue.  I wake up ro see 8k steps. 

Best Answer

I just woke up to 10K steps. My watch is on my kitchen counter. 

Best Answer

Hi Everyone.

In order to have the community better organized, I'll proceed to close this thread.

If you want to share ideas, have any inquiries or need help about other concerns please visit the community.

Have a nice day.

Best Answer
0 Votes