Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Pace and Distance is Inaccurate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Went on a run today with my Charge 2 on one wrist and Charge HR on my other wrist. Also had RunKeeper to measure my distance. I started my run with about the same number of steps on both FIT devices. 

After the run, my Charge HR had almost 2K more steps than my Charge 2. In addition, my GPS map on FitBit matched my Runkeeper map which is about a 3.5 mile run BUT FitBit pegged the same route as 1.73 miles >.> 

Why doesn't this device work as advertised? I really like the design and feel of Charge 2 but if it can't do its job accurately, all is for not and I will be shorting FIT as it appears to be a widespread issue (I have maps and photos if someone from FIT wants the data).

Moderator Edit: Edited thread title.

Best Answer
569 REPLIES 569

Not to pile on, here, but in the last couple of weeks I have noticed a significant change in the distances recorded for my standard 5 mile run. I use connected GPS as well as the Fitbit App to track distances. The two methods of tracking have never agreed (seems weird since they use the same phone for GPS) but the differences have always been small. Lately, the differences between the two distances are greater AND the distances don't match what I know to be correct based on past runs (20 years worth) and Garmin GPS. Example: yesterday's 5 mile known distance run resulted in 5.23 miles recorded with Fitbit connected GPS and 4.84 miles recorded on the Fitbit App. The maps look correct for both. I'm using a Fitbit Charge 2 purchased in March 2017 with a Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro using Android 6.0.1 operating system (Android doesn't allow for any more system upgrades, but that's a topic for a different forum). I know these aren't state of the art objects, but they've worked pretty well for me up until now. As noted by others, it appears these problems started after the most recent firmware upgrade.

Best Answer

I've received another response from Fitbit support confirming they know about this, but will not commit to fixing it:

"We'd like to share with you that our engineers are still working on a concrete resolution and have yet to set a time frame as to when this will be fully resolved. We want to make sure that when a resolution is rolled out, this addresses the issue totally and you would not have any other problems."

It seems someone at Fitbit realized there could be liability in claiming that issues are "Solved" when they're admitting in support that they'll never solve them: now the community issues say "Answered". Go ahead, keep sneaking out of responsibility, Fitbit - it's clear how your customers are taking it so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know you posted this ages ago but did you ever resolve the Fitbit distance discrepancy issue. I've tried everything I can think of and still have about a 33% inaccuracy. Any advice very welcome! 

Best Answer

Still not fixed on my device. Based on past responses from Fitbit on other issues, this one may get fixed but not any time soon.

Best Answer

When I ride bike with my charge 3 (which uses the phones GPS)  I'll get completely different lengths as well  When you have a look on the map, you'll see fitbit does a bad job filtering or logging gps data. It jumps back and forth along the cycling path every 400 to 1000 m (with 50 m jumps). Gps data is a complete mess afterwards. When I track with strava, everything is fine  

Best Answer
0 Votes
unfortunately that is thew history of fitbit gps.

George Howell Jr
Best Answer

My Charge 2 records the wrong pace and distance at least 30% of the time using connected GPS with a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active phone. Never know when it is going to screw up but I did notice something yesterday that may help the software engineers at Fitbit figure this out:

I manually selected run at 5:10pm last night and did my 3 mile run as usual and i knew the whole way the pace was off. When i finished and pulled up my results the Charge 2 also automatically detected an aerobatic workout at 5:11pm in addition to my run at 5:10pm.  Never noticed that happen before. Then after dinner when i looked at my results again the acrobatic workout was gone, only the run was shown. Pace and distance were still wrong showing the same identical results I saw earlier.

Hope that helps solve this issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes
We been fighting this on going connect gps for several years. they still have not figured it out

George Howell Jr
Best Answer

I've got the same issue.

Ran a 5km parkrun with Fitbit recording my run.  Started the excersise activity just before setting off (allowed it to lock GPS first), and ended it just after finishing the 5km run.  Strava data recorded 5.12km.  Fitbit recorded 4.56km and therefore a slower pace.

I'm pretty confused why it's not showing the correct distance???

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry I couldn't read all the 28 pages so please disregard this if already discussed.

There is no question that the GPS on Fitbit trackers (at least Charge 2 and 3 that I own) is way off. As you keep using the device, it relies on the distance travelled (initially captured by the GPS) to calculate/adjust the running stride length (distance in inch divided by step count) and then it increasingly uses this measure to calculate the distance and pace of your running. Since the GPS is inaccurate, the calculations will only get worse over time in a positive feedback loop:

Distance is underestimated --> Running stride length is reduced --> Distance is further underestimated --> Running stride length is further reduced --> and the same loop goes on...

I do a 3 mile loop in my neighborhood every other day and I've seen it in action as it started from reporting around 2.5 miles (incorrect to begin with) and gradually went down to around 2.2 miles for the same loop. 

Here is the work-around (not a real solution until Fitbit addresses the faulty GPS in these devices): Go to Advanced Settings, then Stride Length and disable "Set automatically" and enter the value manually. To find your stride length, run known distances for a couple of time and divide the actual distance (in inch) by the step count from the Fitbit and average it out (or use metric units if applicable). I did it and found my average stride length to be 44.2 inch (the automatically set value had gone down to 39, an over 12% underestimation). I then did an official 10K (6 mile) run competition and the Fitbit calculated the distance almost accurately to be 6.01 mile.

I created a spreadsheet and put my step counts and known distances there from time to time to make sure my manually calculated average stride length remains accurate and so far haven't seen the need to change it from 44.2. Sad that I need to be doing this myself when I paid for a device that is supposed to be able to do this very basic task itself, but it is working for me for now...  

Best Answer
Seriously? I’m not going to create a spreadsheet and manually interpret distance for a device that I bought to do THAT for me. The thing is garbage, literally.
Best Answer

I use connected GPS, and assume the distance calculation is made with the Phone's GPS, not my steps. The deviance is very large compared to the actual distance, my partner with a Versa has more accurate distance (although also off by a bit), see these two walks:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LuDt35bG7hDPiVYF7

And their respective fitbit dashboard exported TCXs in a GPX viewer:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LuDt35bG7hDPiVYF7

The TCX file has the correct data, meaning that the tracker should have been able to provide an accurate distance. Why does this happen and what can be done to fix it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wrong link for the GPX. here is the correct one:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZkQ1TZwWEEwe6C7N7

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've also been having this issue. If I change units to miles and feet, then back to metres and kilometers, the splits for the run are accurate (I.e. it shows splits for the entire actual distance, which I know from another app) but the displayed distance in fitbit is still wrong. So possibly it recalculates when units are switched based on the GPS data not stride length as seems to happen by default, but won't change the originally calculated distance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have adjusted my stride and nothing changed.

Best Answer

Seriously for what these things cost they should just do a recall and reissue everyone a device THAT DOES WHAT THE ADVERTISING SAYS IT DOES!

Best Answer
This company doesn't care about "old" products, they just want you to give up and buy the newest version. Fitbits were eliminated from my wish list long ago.
Best Answer

I ran into the same problem. My Charge 2 was showing a 22 mile ride as about 17. I tried moving my RFID wallet to under the seat, and having the phone in my fanny pack, with no effect. I'm on current Android (Google 3A), and Charge firmware.

Turns out the fix was very simple. Reboot the phone. On the next ride, the mileage was accurate again, speed was correct.
I suspect it only does calibration at startup, and it degrades over time.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh wow. Reboot as in just turn it off and back on? Or complete factory
reset?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Nope, just the simple power it off (the one that requires holding the power on for several seconds to get it to boot).
Best Answer
0 Votes