Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Pace and Distance is Inaccurate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Went on a run today with my Charge 2 on one wrist and Charge HR on my other wrist. Also had RunKeeper to measure my distance. I started my run with about the same number of steps on both FIT devices. 

After the run, my Charge HR had almost 2K more steps than my Charge 2. In addition, my GPS map on FitBit matched my Runkeeper map which is about a 3.5 mile run BUT FitBit pegged the same route as 1.73 miles >.> 

Why doesn't this device work as advertised? I really like the design and feel of Charge 2 but if it can't do its job accurately, all is for not and I will be shorting FIT as it appears to be a widespread issue (I have maps and photos if someone from FIT wants the data).

Moderator Edit: Edited thread title.

Best Answer
569 REPLIES 569

Simple power off, and then hold the power on button to get it to go thru the normal startup screen.

Not the one that wipes out data (that really wouldn't be helpful 🙂 ).

Best Answer
0 Votes
I turn my phone off every day as a routine, not for Fitbit's benefit, and I
still have the accuracy issues.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Something I just tried today was to turn off the WiFi on my phone before I went for a walk.

I just bought a Versa 2 last week (had a Charge 2) and noticed (for the first time) that the GPS was not accurate.  Looking back at Charge 2 walks, and the same inaccuracy was there.  I was quite disappointed when I searched for the problem and found so many people with the same issues.  Well, I read this entire thread and found where one person (don't remember who) turned off their WiFi for a comparison, and it seemed fairly accurate.  So, I thought I would give that a try.

I have to say, I was quite surprised at the result.  The other day, I used onthegomap.com to calculate the distance to the end of my street and back.  It came up with .91 miles.  Four days ago when I took that walk, my Versa 2 said it was .78 miles.  Today, after turning off the WiFi, Fitbit recorded the mileage to be .89 miles.  I went from an 86% accuracy to a 98% accuracy.  None of my walks have ever been that accurate so hopefully, this might be a fix.  This was the first time I tried this trick, so when I do it again, I will report back on whether or not the accuracy continues.

Versa 2 watch

Turned off WiFi

Started a Walk Exercise from the watch

Waited for the "Connected" signal.

Best Answer
Interesting - thanks! I ended up buying a Garmin Vivoactive3 and I love it.
Best Answer
Just did a run with wifi off - no improvement. Garmin here I come.
Best Answer
0 Votes
The Vivoactive3 is so great that my husband is returning his recent
Withings purchase to get one too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

itbit uses a connected gps. it is the worst gps setup there is. the issues  has been known for years and yet they can not get it fix.i has the amazfit t rex and bip. now only do they map correct. but when compare to my runkeeper. the difference usually .01

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ugh did you figure this out?  I have been super disappointed with the Fitbit- a route I regularly run and is 6.5 miles showed as 5.2 this weekend!

I was hoping to use this for marathon training but I can't be going for 20 mile runs that are actually 30.  BUMMER

Best Answer
No, I didn’t figure out any way to fix this. It’s completely useless in my opinion and I never use it.
Best Answer

I had a Charge 2, and it was pretty reliable with IOS for tracking. Consistent distance over the same course. When I switched to a Google Pixel, I found the distance varied. The longer the phone had been running, the worse it got. After a reboot it was pretty close.
When the Charge 2 started dieing, I switched to a Charge 4 to try to avoid the glitches like the rfid blocking wallet stopping the phone from receiving the signal. Today I did a bike ride as part of PT, and I used the bike computer and the Charge (dynamic mode). The bike said 3.7 miles, the fitbit said 3.5, so they're pretty close. Since I had knobbies put on the bike, it's possible it's a little off. I'll have to get out the tape measure and see if I've got the bike computer calibrated.

Best Answer
0 Votes