Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Pace and Distance is Inaccurate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Went on a run today with my Charge 2 on one wrist and Charge HR on my other wrist. Also had RunKeeper to measure my distance. I started my run with about the same number of steps on both FIT devices. 

After the run, my Charge HR had almost 2K more steps than my Charge 2. In addition, my GPS map on FitBit matched my Runkeeper map which is about a 3.5 mile run BUT FitBit pegged the same route as 1.73 miles >.> 

Why doesn't this device work as advertised? I really like the design and feel of Charge 2 but if it can't do its job accurately, all is for not and I will be shorting FIT as it appears to be a widespread issue (I have maps and photos if someone from FIT wants the data).

Moderator Edit: Edited thread title.

Best Answer
569 REPLIES 569

@bobby2478 you might want to edit your title to The App GPS is inaccurate "

Ive found that on my android phone tgat when the memory is to full of closed programs, the Gps trackiing of the app is off.

You may have noticed i moved your post to the Android App forum.You say your tracking the gps from the app, not the connected GPS that your tracker does not have.

This should gibe a better chance of obtaining a useful answer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rich why did you move my post?  It is directly pertinent to the thread you moved it out of.  I have both a Charge Hr (without connected GPS)  as well as the Charge 2 (with connected GPS). 

My post was to establish a baseline distance first without using Connected GPS, then perform subsequent tests with connected GPS with the Charge 2 in order to compare the distance and assess how close or how far off connected GPS is. 

It would be helpful to move my post back where it was as I'm going to perform follow up tests with connected GPS on the Charge 2 and compare the distance. 

Best Answer

Ill move it back, 

Why did i move it, your post mentioned the Charge HR that is totally non related and has no bearing on the app recording of GPS. The two are completely independant.

tracker gives steps, app gets distance. The same thing could be done with the Charge2 and using the app to record the GPS. 

The thread is about connected GPS, not recording the event with the App's GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand the difference between the two devices.  With the reported inaccuracy of the Connected GPS on the Charge 2 the best way to test is to first establish a baseline with just the Fitbit app by itself (no connected GPS).  Then perform the same test with the Charge 2 via Connected GPS and if the distance is drastically different then it would prove that Connected GPS on the Charge 2 is inaccurate. 

Best Answer

Please go ahead...we are looking forward to see the results!

By the way...I am still waiting for the reply from Apple spesialists on the GPS, approved to be sent over for investigatiom by Apple senior technical support, regarding why the GPS signals from iphone6 pluss are more stable than from the my iphone 7.  Poorer GPS signals results in track wobbling in the Fitbit App/Charge2.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've just had my Charge 2 (previous Alta user). Both the Alta and Charge were inaccurate on the distance. Yesterday I did a walk with MapMyWalk wich gave me 8.14k both the Charge and Alter showeed around 6.37k Yesterday I used this site to work out my stride based on the distance from MayMyRun and the number of steps from the Charge 2 http://www.tech4o.com/detail.aspx?id=181# . I entered the new stride length and went for another walk this morning.... MapMyWalk gave me a distance of 8.00 k and my Charge 2 gave me 8.02, I checked it at each kilometre and within about 0.01 it was accurate with the MapMyWalk. I won't get chance to test again until the weekend but it may be worth others trying, for me it does look like the stride length could be part of the problem.... when set to auto it was way off.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there-

I am having a similar problem...my distance and time are way off when I run...just restarted and see no pink update tracker option for my brand new charge..got it for Christmas...now what should I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Email Fitbit support and contact online chat.

Glenn Mansell
Best Answer
0 Votes

I havre my charge 2 uptodate. It still does not track correctly. Todays walk was 1.1o miles charge 2 was 1 mile. It maps the same but does not tract correctly

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having a similar problem. I have been using Strava on my phone for a couple of years for my commute which is 5.1 miles (checked on map my ride and Strava agrees) got a charge 2 for Christmas to replace my HR and really like how you can start the activity on the tracker. It auto syncs to Strava

However, the ride is now 4 miles on Fitbit. It even says that in Strava. The crazy thing is when I recorded the same ride today using both Strava and Fitbit, using the same GPS on the same phone they disagree. The Fitbit data has a 4.8 mile segment (from Strava) as part of its 4 mile ride.

I have phoned Fitbit. Could this thread not be marked as solved please. The update in October clearly hasn't worked.

Best Answer

I begining to thing. That they have no idea on how to solve it. This has been going on way to long. I an going to find the CEO email and send him a email. Maybe then he can get these people together and find out why this is happening.

@Edenspresence wrote:

I am having a similar problem. I have been using Strava on my phone for a couple of years for my commute which is 5.1 miles (checked on map my ride and Strava agrees) got a charge 2 for Christmas to replace my HR and really like how you can start the activity on the tracker. It auto syncs to Strava

However, the ride is now 4 miles on Fitbit. It even says that in Strava. The crazy thing is when I recorded the same ride today using both Strava and Fitbit, using the same GPS on the same phone they disagree. The Fitbit data has a 4.8 mile segment (from Strava) as part of its 4 mile ride.

I have phoned Fitbit. Could this thread not be marked as solved please. The update in October clearly hasn't worked.

Best Answer

Last Night I sent a email to the CEO of fitbit. Outlining several problems that people are expernicin with the charge2. From GPS biking walking and others. As soon as I get a response I will post it.

Best Answer

Hi

This thread should NOT be marked as solved. I have just finished a live chat with support and they have admitted that there is a problem with the Charge 2, that the engineering team are working on it and there is no forseeable date for a fix. While this problem is occuring, the Charge 2 is not useful as a training tool and as such is not fit for purpose, in contravention of the Australian consumer protection laws. Fitbit need to make solving this their highest priority and consider a product recall if a solution is not found soon

Best Answer
I suggest if we don't receive satisfactory responses soon then we should bring these serious flaws in the device to the attention of the tech media and twitterverse.
Best Answer

I agree. It is unethical that this thread is still marked as solved, despite numerous requests that this be changed. Fitbit should not continue to sell the Charge 2 knowing that it is defective.

Best Answer

I have now post your statement on 3 different teck site. that have reveiw this charge 2. Lets hope Fitbit get their act togethr. No answer yet from my Email to the CEO

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did the following 3 tests, all were following the exact same path and were started and stopped manually (not auto recognized) at the exact same spot:

1. Manually started and stopped walk exercise in Fitbit mobile app with No Connected GPS.  Wore Charge Hr with Galaxy Note 5.

Total Distance = 3.28 miles. 

2. Started and stopped walk exercise through Charge 2 WITH Connected GPS.  Charge 2 was connected to the same Note 5. I made sure the Fitbit app was open in the foreground and that I got the phone icon on Charge 2 to ensure it was connected to my phone and it found a GPS signal (phone icon with blinking horizontal lines to the side indicates no GPS signal, phone icon with diagonal line through it indicates not connected to phone and mobile app). 

Total Distance = 3.3 miles 

3. Manually started and stopped walk exercise in the Fitbit mobile app not connected to any tracker (NO Connected GPS).  Device was Galaxy S4. 

Total Distance 1 = 3.27 miles 

Total Distance 2 = 3.27 miles

The map lines look very similar and total distance was off by 0.03 miles, so not exact but reasonably close.  Both walks through the app on a Galaxy S4 resulted in the exact same distance of 3.27 miles,  so I would expect Charge 2 Connected GPS to give me the exact same results of 3.28 miles which was what I got on my phone which is Galaxy Note 5 (same phone Charge 2 is paired with). 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Interesting. Just one question...where did you put you phone during the walk? In a sport arm strap, pants pocket, jacket pocket, in a bag on your back?

I am still in a proses with Apple system engineers on iphone7 on the GPS raw data accuracy. Either my phone is faulty or there are firmware bugs on that model. I am awaiting their conclusions. I was asked to disconnect WIFI and pin my position on the apple app Maps and take 3 different snapshot of my location in the map standing on the same position with the phone in my hand for ideal GPS signals. This for 3 different road crossings and then to send in a system log file. Interesting my phone deviated up to 15-20 m in different directions from the correct coordinates for the 3 snapshots standing on the exact same physical location. This with ideal GPS access signals upwards.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow Bobby those are great results and the first instance I've seen of accurate distance using the charge 2. Where are you located (approximately)?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in MN.  Main thing I think is to make sure the app is open in the foreground and to check to make sure that you get the solid phone icon on the Charge 2 before starting.  It's very finicky to get connected, I had to reboot my phone, cycle Bluetooth then reset the Charge 2 before I got it to connect properly. 

It was only 1 test, I'll perform it again tomorrow to see if it's consistent with my test from today.  If it's the same (should be)  then while it's close to the test I got with just the app it should be exactly the same considering the only variable is Connected GPS.  Otherwise both tests use the same path and same GPS signal from the same phone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes