Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen cracked in heat

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit charge 2 is a new band. My daughter and I upgraded to charge 2. Bought them in December. We're in Jamaica for a week February, doing nothing but walking the beach. Mine was fine in the morning when I was done walking my 10000 steps my screen was cracked down the center and along the bottom. My daughter woke up the next morning and hers was also cracked the same way. We didn't do anything but walk the beach. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
412 REPLIES 412

Hello @Gkrein, it is great to see new faces around the Community! Smiley Happy Oh! Sounds pretty bad that yours and your daughter's Charge 2 got damage. This is something that shouldn't happen as Fitbit products are durable and long lasting and should not have become defective at an early stage. So in this case, I suggest you to get in touch with Fitbit Support directly and let them know about this so they can take a look at your account and review your options. 

By the way, I just moved your post to the correct board. 😉 

Let me know the outcome! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Hello Gkrein, I am very interested in your comments and have a strong opinion on this. I bought my wife a Charge 2 as a Christmas gift (Dec 2016) and she has worn it everyday, taking great care of it. It has been a transformation in her view on daily activity and fitness, leading to a dedicated approach for daily goals. As such she recently bought me a Blaze which I am equally pleased with and also "goal" aware!

We have just spent a week in Valencia and during our stay my wife's Charge 2 suddenly cracked vertically in the middle of the screen top to bottom. It has neither been dropped or hit with anything and this fact is supported by the case being in still new condition. For a drop to cause any screen crack, it would leave damage to the casing, in my opinion.

I am convinced the damage has been caused by the screen expanding faster than the casing when outside in the strong sunlight and this has caused the crack, or to put it another way, a design fault. Your experience of two identical devices having the same failure in a similar environment convinces me of this. I hope that someone from Fitbit team picks up this thread and investigates, there is definitely something wrong which is causing these failures.

Jon.

Best Answer

I have just experienced the exact same issue after a holiday in Tenerife. I have done nothing but lay in the sun and walk and have definitely not banged my watch but half way through the holiday I noticed a big crack right across the face of the screen. I wondered if you had got anywhere with customer services as they replied to me to say user damage is not covered but I have stated clearly I believe it is a fault with the screens as there are other documented cases of the same issue. 

I just wondered if you got anywhere with the customer services?

Best Answer

Hi Lisa I have not tackled them yet, will post here what happens when I do, unfortunately I don't think I will be able to chase them to later this week, not as quickly as I would prefer! Jon.

Best Answer

Jon I have refused their offer of a discount off a new one and sighted these other instances as proof the watch is not fit for purpose and asked them to reconsider. 

If I do not get any satisfaction with them then I will consider taking it further through some consumer channels. It clearly looks to be a fault with the common theme being use in a hot country and no user damage! 

Good luck

lisa

Best Answer

I had the exact same thing happen. And I agree with F1Jon - the screen cracked and it appears to be cracking from the inside. There was no impact to the watch, I didn't drop it, it simply cracked right down the middle of the screen as though the screen is expanding or stretching and no longer fits the casing. Moreover Fitbit is not standing by their product. I received it as a gift from my mom but she purchased it from a sports store online, so Fitbit says that voids the warranty. I am so disappointed in this product and their service. Unlike what Heydy says, this is not a long lasting product. It is cheaply made from poor materials and Fitbit isn't standing by it. I was also refused a replacement and was offered 25% off another product from their website because the watch I received was a gift from my mom and she didn't purchase it from the resellers on the Fitbit website. Very disappointed.

Best Answer

It's a problem not just in hot climates! I live in a cool coastal climate and I have the same problem. I'm so disappointed in this product and Fitbit's service.

Best Answer
I argued it was a fault and yesterday received a new pebble, the electronic bit of the watch, from Fitbit FOC.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I argued that it was a fault based on how many people had experienced the same and in the end I got a replacement pebble, the electronic bit of the watch. Keep arguing and in the end you get somewhere, if you are in warranty. Mine arrived yesterday. 

Good luck 

Best Answer

This is a 'Big Up' to the Fitbit team, we contacted them about broken screen on the Charge 2 and that this had occurred naturally and not as a consequence of any impact damage. Initially they offered the discretionary 25% discount, as others on the forum have mentioned. A second conversation was had and they have agreed to a replacement, thanks very much to Fitbit for this.

Equally, my wife wears her Fitbit everyday since receiving on Christmas day, I'm sure this was evident to Fitbit via data held on her account, so she is a committed user, not just a casual one. So I believe they have made the right decision in this case. Jon.

Best Answer

This same thing has happened to mine.  I was sitting talking to a few friends, my Fitbit Charge 2 was fine then all of a sudden it started to vibrate for a longer period of time and when I looked at it the screen had a full line crack top to bottom.  When I called the company, I was informed they will give me A whole 25% off on buying a new one.  Upon checking this model is relatively new and I feel by the amount of complaints with the cracking screen we should be having it replaced.  Mine was received for a Christmas gift and I feel it should  be replaced that it only lasted for that short period of time of use and also with the number of unhappy customers that this has happened to. I think we should all make it known of our grievence, this item falls well below the standards that it is advertised as!   Come on, stand behind your goods!!  

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

My suggestion would be a second and very polite conversation with Fitbit team to reiterate your concerns over the design failure of the device and that the defect has occurred without any impact to the device, ie not dropped or hit against anything. Again, remind them that there are number of identical cases already reported in this forum, perhaps include a hyperlink to this thread?

Don't give up and DON'T get cross, keep trying, 🙂

Good luck, Jon.

Best Answer
Thank you for your response. I was sitting in a chair when this happened so I know it wasn’t dropped or hit! I really think this model has issued and they should be addressed and remedied by a company that has had such great success over the years. Admit to the problem and help the customers that spent $200.00 to buy their item some help with this problem.
Best Answer

Hi All,

In the last day or so, my fitbit charge 2 screen has cracked - it runs across the middle of the screen and looks like a scratch, but it is definitely cracked as it penetrates through the whole front face.

I haven't done anything unusual with the device, any help on what i could do to resolve this?

Best Answer

Contact support (I use the handy online chat)  They are usually pretty friendly and can help you out.

Best Answer

I also woke yo this morning and my screen on my Fitbit charge 2 had a crack down the middle. This is only four months old and it's very disappointing.

Best Answer

I took the advice of LisaP73 and F1Jon and called FitBit again. They did agree to replace the device. So I would suggest calling back. Try a different representative and insist that it is a manufacturing defect, as evidenced by the numerous complaints about this problem on their forum and elsewhere.

Best Answer
The have resolved my situation with my Fitbit and are sending me a new one. So I now have my faith restored in the company and that they are willing to stand behind their merchandise.
Good lock, Myra
Best Answer

My charge 2 cracked, Fitbit said it was just a scratch, asked what I could do about it, there was nothing to do so now It cracked more and were it is now from top to bottom. Now I am not using it do to the fact its is not even a year old and its just setting around. I don't want to buy a new one, Ugh Very unhappy.... Any one with Ideas?

Best Answer