Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen cracked in heat

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit charge 2 is a new band. My daughter and I upgraded to charge 2. Bought them in December. We're in Jamaica for a week February, doing nothing but walking the beach. Mine was fine in the morning when I was done walking my 10000 steps my screen was cracked down the center and along the bottom. My daughter woke up the next morning and hers was also cracked the same way. We didn't do anything but walk the beach. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
412 REPLIES 412

HeydyFitbit, now do you understand? Do you see what antagonistic comments do to the public.  Don’t get me wrong, I do appreciate at least you have taken Some time to try to respond but unfortunately you chose the wrong approach with some rather upset people. You have a chance to resolve this and it would be to

contact every single

person who is complaining and upset regarding the faulty unit and deal with them properly as an individual but in

order to do that you have to finally admit the charge 2 has a problem

and either  resolve the problem or stop selling the unit.

Neither of these things will you do and whether it’s because your hands are tied or it’s because your last few responses regarding customer care and absolute lies, but Fitbit care only about sales and money! Growing an empire, which is again a real shame as I think the software and the overall networking thing, application are excellent it’s the hardware that sucks!!!!  Fix the problem or ditch the unit and resolve the complaints fully and you will gain by repeat business, recommendations etc etc. Instead of hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of upset customers who will undoubtedly tear you apart and ensure their friends and family will never again purchase any Fitbit product. The power of networking is endless and nobody is better at it as a disgruntled ex customer!

@HeydyF wrote:

Hey guys! How are you today?

I appreciate your participation here in the Fitbit Community! On the other side, I'm sorry to hear about the inconveniences you have with the screen of your Charge 2. Also, I want to thank all of you who has taken the time to contact our Fitbit Support team, however, remember that the demands of running a global business require that we enforce our warranty consistently, but as usual, customer satisfaction remains our number one goal. 

In regards of the quality of our products, please keep in mind that Fitbit is always working to improve it and turn this into one of the best fitness experiences for all of our users. We are always innovating our products and services, as the different programs that Fitbit offers as the app usage. You can also rely on the materials that we use, that they will definitely last daily usage and hard workouts. Without mentioning weather conditions, or at least acceptable environmental conditions. 

Please note that our team is always working to improve Fitbit trackers and watches, so all of your comments and feedback are more than welcome, since they let us know what are the areas that need more attention. 

If you have further questions or comments, keep us posted! 

Best Answer

So true ...
Otherwise you need a subscription to buy a new one each year ...
Come on Fitbit - it’s a known fault - sort it out ... these cracks are blown outwards - fault comes from within ... . #sunblown #screencrack

Moderator edit: all-caps
Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Hi All, 

My screen on my fitbit also cracked in the heat.....initially I was offered a 25% discount, to which I replied

Thank you for your email!

I do not except that I am not entitled to a replacement product. Can you please let me know how you have come to that conclusion?

According to your own community forum there is plenty of evidence from memebers which prove that Fitbit screens have cracked, due to no fault of the customer, or wearer, and due to heat. 

I am protected by UK law, where The consumer rights act 2015 C.2.9  say Goods should be of satisfactory quality and C.2.10 Goods should to be fit for particular purpose. I therefore have a right to a replacement or for you to repair my product.

I am very disappointed in your offer, when my fitbit is only 7 months old.

Please let me know about how my fitbit can either be repaired or replaced according to the UK law outline above.

Thanks

Sophie

I have since had the following reply:

Hello Sophie,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We'd like to apologize for this inconvenience, Sophie. Upon review, we have confirmed that there's is no any impact on the screen of your Alta HR which is evidently a damaged that was not intended. In line with this, we'd like to share with you that cases related to screen damages may arise from different factors like humidity, pressure, temperature or weather changes that may push the glass to their extent which we could relate to your situation.

Though this is the case, we always make sure our engineering team is informed about all occurrences to help us improve our product's durability.

Moving forward, we'll send a separate email with a form you can fill out to receive your replacement options instead. If you did not receive this email, be sure to check your spam and junk folders.

If you still haven't received the email after checking your spam and junk folders, please let us know.

We humbly ask for your understanding and patience. Should you have additional questions, please let us know.

Moderator edit: Removed advocate's info 

Best Answer

Well done Sophie.

Good to see evidence in writing from Fitbit admitting and acknowledging there is a heat and humidity problem with these products.

Best Answer
Crumbs! I’m pleased you got it sorted but you shouldn’t have to spout
chapter and verse about consumer law, perhaps they’ve had so many claims
during this hot weather they’re trying to clamp down but like you said if
it’s not fit for purpose!! It would be interesting to know how fitbits fair
in countries that do have really hot temps.
Best Answer

They offered me that discount today. I informed them that I will not be shelling out more money for another product of fitbits. It's a very disappointing thing when you pay so much for a product that is supposed to have good quality. 

Best Answer
Sorry to read they didn’t give you a replacement was it still in warranty? I’ve had 2 replaced with cracked screens my 1st one they replaced was probably 6/7 months old they sent complete box including charger. It then happened again to the replacement at a similar age also told them that strap was broken they said they would replace both which they did.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

I have now been offered a replacement (read further down in my post), and yes within warranty when first refused, as only 6/7 months old.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi WendyJoan.   The issue here is two fold which your note shows in full.

Firstly Fitbit have different standards of service. To some they offer full replacements, to others a discount, and others nothing at all.

However the main problem is quality. Do you consider it acceptable to have two new and relatively expensive devices break in the same way within a short period?

I am sure most people wouldn't accept a television with a cracked screen and be told 'It is OK you can still see it'.

There is a basic design fault here which Fitbit have acknowledged but will not address fully.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I asked to speak with the manager on duty. They are now sending me a new one. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is great but doesn't resolve the underlying problem. What happens when it cracks again?

Instead Fitbit should be issuing a product recall and replacing or repairing all affected products.

Best Answer

100% Agree!!!  Thats where Fitbit are failing!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, so that's why I have a crack on my display.. It's not even that warm here, compared to many of the others with the same problem, around 25 c, but I have been outside a lot and my fitbit have been exposed to the sun quite a bit..

Starting to wonder why this didn't happen last summer, but it was a very cool and rainy summer so that's probably why..

Though I wont bother with the customer support, I don't have warranty left (had it1½ years) and I don't really feel like buying a new one, even with discount, cause it would likley happen again with the new one.
It's just gonna have to work for as long as it works, either a new modell (non-smartwatch) has released by then, or I have to look to some other brand.

Best Answer
0 Votes
👍
Best Answer

Just had this happen to 2 different fitbit charges on 2 different people.but not extreme weather conditions  circa 20 to 27 degC

Problem is exactly as described in the last 14 pages of posts( from start of 2017 to current day)

Only 5 months old.

FITBIT how will you resolve this issue?how will you get the replacements to me.i will gladly send back the failed units.

Do you have a product that does not crack? Will you replace or upgrade to non cracking product?(is it a design flaw?)

I have sent you the following message

Looking forward to the fast resolution of your issue

Andrew 

Hi
Recently purchased fitbit charge2
I have been an avid user of fitbit products

While on holidays in the last week
I noticed a crack across the front screen
I did not miss handle the device in any way

I puchased a fitbit charge 2 on the bases of a family member purchasing the same device

This family member experienced the exact same failure

Screen is crack from 2 to 7 oclock position
Device still works but both devices are on under 5 months old

I have read multiple reports online about this failure of your product in particular the fit bit charge 2 device

How will fitbit resolve this issue??
Andrew

Best Answer

This has happened to mine too... It is very hot in the UK at the moment and I was in hot sun yesterday. I took my fitbit off to shower etc and when I put it back on I found the screen cracked from top to bottom in a straight line with a smaller crack beside it. I have had the thing 7 months and am always incredibly careful with it...

This is awful and really shouldn't happen. Having read this thread, I am not hopeful to get a good resolution to this.

Best Answer
Hi, I’ve had mine replaced.
Hopefully you will too! If you read further up the post you can see my communication.

Sophie
Best Answer
You should have no problems contact customer services tell them your screen has cracked they will ask you to send a photo of the damage make sure you include the Fitbit logo they’ll check all your details to check warranty then pass your details to technical dept and they may ask for another photo to include the ref no they’ll give you I just wrote it on a bit of paper, then they’ll arrange to send out a new pebble( the tracker bit) I contacted them via Twitter - good luck

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Hey,
I asked to speak with the manager and they have shipped me a replacement. I
spoke with 3 people before him. He said it was a one time thing since my
warranty period from my original purchase was up. I told him it is
ridiculous that the replacements didn't carry over any warranty. But if the
replacement cracks I will be looking into going higher to get another
replacement. Wouldn't be so bad had I not paid $225 CA. Make sure to
request your replacement asap. Try not to procrastinate on it.
Best Answer

Hello guys! I really appreciate the time you're taken to post your feedback and the experience you have had with the Charge 2 and also, when contacting Fitbit Support. For those that maybe didn't receive the response you were looking for when contact our team, let me explain to you that Fitbit policies change depending on your country of residence. It is not that our team doesn't want to help you out, but they have policies to follow through, but always have different options for our users even when their warranty has expired, specially when they recognized that something is not going well with the usage of our products, however, we also have specific conditions for each of our devices, and we are expecting that the users take a look at them to take good care of their devices and make them last longer. 

Now for those who haven't, please try to reach our Support team so they can take a look at the different options depending on your warranty. 

Have a great day guys! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer