Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up two Charge 2 devices on one account

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a second Charge 2 and would like to add it to my account. However, the app is forcing me to disconnect the first one in order to add the second one. How do I connect both to my account so I can switch back and forth between them?

Best Answer
108 REPLIES 108

@PureEvil,

You made several valid points, and I have to apologize for my incorrect information. First, yes, it's called the Charge 2, not the Charge HR 2 (or Charge 2 HR+, as it was called when I got it 3 years ago, and I dyslexic-ally reversed the 2 and the HR).  And yes, the Charge 3 can do everything the Charge 2 can, but it's also slightly bigger and it wasn't comfortable on my wrist when I put it on at the store (my bad for not mentioning that, it's also why I won't get the giant screen ones).  And yes, your reply to me was not the least bit condescending, so I thank you for that.  But there are several points I need to make that you may not be aware of, at least the first two of which I believe apply to almost everyone reading this thread: 

First, when most people go to this forum to find out about syncing up a 2nd version of the same FitBit, they've ALREADY purchased the second one, and it may not be so easy to return it (mine was an eBay purchase from a "no refunds, only exchanges if the product is defective" seller, which I accepted. The product is NOT defective, and I'm not going to lie about it just to get my money back), and it's not in everyone's budget to buy another, more expensive model.  So buying another model is often not an option.   Second, people dislike change, it's simply a fact of life. Even if two products are very similar, the fact that something new has to be learned will turn many people off.  And third, not every version of every model will work exactly the same way.  Unlike your Charge 2, mine won't even get from 5% to 15% in the first hour; for some reason, the first hour is like a trickle charge of only a few %, then after that it finally starts going up at a decent rate.  Now, that could just be the age of my tracker and the abuse I've put it through over the last 3 years during my exercise routines.  My second Charge 2 may be much better (I haven't fully charged or synced it yet because of this issue, so I don't know).  But that particular point you were trying to make is invalid in my case.  I will attempt to charge my second Charge 2 this weekend to determine how long it takes to go up 25%t o 30% to see if it's any faster.  If so, then yes, charging it while I'm in the shower WILL resolve my issue.  If not, I'm back to square one.  

Best Answer

Hmmm you make valid points Snowcat. I’m quite happy to have two Fitbits of the same model, and like most if not all, I bought the second without realising I had to remove the first Fitbit before I could sync the second. I’m looking on the bright side which is that I will now have a Fitbit model that I like for a longer period of time as it is now securely stored in my desk.

I’m also wondering about the charging time issue. Different to my first Fitbit Charge HR 2, the second took so long to start charging I wondered if it had a faulty battery. It’s now fully charged so I was probably wrong, but I wonder if the batteries have idiosyncrasies.

Even so, the issue is not about batteries and the point is still valid that Fitbit’s silence on this issue is not inducive to me remaining with Fitbit when the second wears out. Should they desire my future patronage I still require them to be constructive with respect to acknowledging that the ability to only synchronise one type without firstly removing another of the same model/type is at best a 'weakness' in their software, and they will seek to address it.

I have read SnowCat’s response to PureEvil’s comments and with respect to Charge HR 2 vs Charge 2 HR etc., and while I have no reason to doubt the technical accuracy of their comments, they are a diversion as they do not address the focus of this specific conversational thread.

I’m not “having a go” at PureEvil, as they are a Fitbit user like everyone else. But, it’s not about pouting or whether you can do things like put a thread through your Fitbit and keys or be really disciplined when it comes to charging the Fitbit during showers etc. Also PureEvil makes a valid point about not waiting for Fitbit, and trying to find ways to deal with this limitation in the Fitbit software.

But, run_2019 makes a very good observation as do a number of others that the flexibility of having different coloured Fitbits (I have a dark blue & black), or one that is in better condition and more appropriate for the activity would have to be seen as valid, and Fitbit should have picked up on this and be doing something about it. That’s the point I think people are making (I certainly am).

Would it not be nice and appreciated if Fitbit acknowledged this as a limitation and committed to seeing what they could do to fix it.

I’m sure their lack of response on a ‘Fitbit Community’ conversation that discusses this limitation unnecessarily increases everyone’s frustration.

Best Answer

@PureEvil 

You’re correct, multiple trackers is not how it works today. However I made the clear point this shouldn’t be a difficult thing to actually implement technically. The code itself is an extra column to delineate between multiple devices in a database, the client app itself can easily handle multiple devices it just needs a subclass if the devices in the device type class to handle two in the code. There is no reason this is not technically feasible within a 12-36 hour coding task along with probably 12 hours of regression testing. 

I do not believe this is technically difficult to implement. It just hasn’t been done. 

I have two trackers of the same model with bands which cannot be changed. I’m not buying a new Fitbit just to get quick release bands. Or whatever Fitbit calls them. At this point I’m moving to fossil watches anyhow. However please do not tell people this “is how it is” because we all know it doesn’t have to be. 

Hopefully google fixes this. 

Best Answer

Agree with Cinny! Should be able to have two of the same device on one account. Can have 2 Apple Watches on the same account. Come on Fitbit....let’s work on this issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all,

I'll combine responses.  Hopefully it won't be too confusing or too long.

Fitbit was very explicit from the announcement of the multiple tracker feature that it was one per model.  I remembered very explicity asking the question here in the forums (around 2015).  It is written precisely that way in their help page: "Your account can have one of each device model and MobileTrack."  So the characterization that Fitbit does not acknowledge this or that it requires 'fixing' are, in my opinion, misplaced.  The rationale for the different models was that the features of different models would complement each other; this makes sense to me.

I wasn't nitpicking about the model name (Charge 2 vs. Charge HR).  I wanted to know the model since I wanted to personally confirm that the charging trend would behave as I remembered and I could take the pictures that demonstrate that.  I have several models and if it takes longer that to charge, I'd wonder if it's something wrong with that particular device.

Yes, there are other reasons like different colors or ones in different conditions, which can be somewhat mitigated by bands of different colors and getting a guard.  These work very effectively (I purposefully scratched one up with a file on the device):

fitbit-charge2-scratched-protector.jpg

I don't believe it would be difficult for Fitbit to collect statistics from trackers of the same model.  However, many elements of the Fitbit App UI are done on a per model basis, like:

• Selecting a clock face
  • Selecting exercise shortcuts
  • Setting alarms

I am a software engineer by trade and the feasibility of implementing this across:

• Web interface
  • Windows phone
  • Windows tablet/desktop app
  • Android phone
  • Android tablet
  • iOS phone
  • iOS table

in 12-36 hours?  Let's just say that I'm skeptical.

Also even if Fitbit allows you to distinguish the two trackers in the UI, it doesn't solve all the problems.  Let's say that you have 2 fully charged Flexes paired to your account.  This is what they look like:

fitbit-bert&ernie.JPG

They are visibly indistinguishable from each other; neither has a display.  One of them as a 4am silent alarm set for your morning flight (so you don't wake up your spouse)... which one do you wear to bed?

I'm not calling any of you 'wrong' or 'idiots' for requesting this feature.  I'm just suggesting two things.  First, there are likely reasonably good workarounds to accomplish the scenarios you're looking to do...  why wait for Fitbit?  Second, even if Fitbit were to implement this feature, there'd still be elements that would be 'broken'; they'd be trading one set of problems for another.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi PureEvil and others,

It's been awhile as I simply decided to have one FitBit, but when it wouldn't sync which really annoyed me - Aah well; I then did something about that.

But I note your comment: "First, there are likely reasonably good workarounds to accomplish the scenarios you're looking to do... why wait for Fitbit?", and I also note it is written precisely that way in their help page so I agree with you on that point as well.

But while I agree with you, neither actually addresses the point I was making which was good customer service from FitBit would look at the comments from customers in their (FitBit) forums, and if their comments are reasonable do something about it.

After all, for a little (or a lot) of effort it would be more profitable for them as they would sell more FitBits and have happier customers that would more readily endorse their devices, and not look elsewhere.

Anyway I agree there are good workarounds, I now have a FitBit and a very nice fitness tracker with a pale grey band and gold wraparound, from a different manufacturer as my workaround.

Cheers

Les K.

Best Answer

I am in the same boat.  My daughter and I both have a charge two.  I would like to be able to track both of them on my account.  Very annoying.

Best Answer

Hello @catbuff1,

Welcome to the community!

While it's true that you can't set up two Charge 2's on the same account, even if you could, it doesn't help you (at least not the scenario that you describe).  Allow me to explain.

I currently have two trackers on my account.  The One and the Versa 2, this is what it looks like on my account:

PureEvil_0-1586922969235.png

However, the dashboard combines the activity from both trackers and shows me one set of statistics, like this:

PureEvil_1-1586923091203.png

It doesn't show me a set of stats for each the One and the Versa 2.  In fact, the help page for multiple tracker support explicitly states precisely that:

"To provide you with the most useful information possible, your Fitbit account has one dashboard that displays a comprehensive view of your activity. When you use multiple devices, we combine their data and present the totals. For example, if the tracker you wore to the office counted 8000 steps and the tracker you wore during your evening run counted 9000, the total number of steps on your dashboard is 17,000."

It reflects the activity from whichever tracker is active, which is to say the one I'm wearing.  If I should happen to wear them both at once (which they discourage), I may get strangeness (occasionally the step count will go backwards).  They do warn you about this:

"For best results, don't wear more than one device at a time and sync each device before taking it off and putting on another."

What does this mean?  Suppose you do this:

1. Get a Charge 3 for yourself, set it up on your account.
  2. Set up your daughter's Charge 2 on your account as well.
  3. You have 3000 steps at 2pm.
  4. You and your daughter go for a walk together and return at 2:30pm. You each get 3000 steps.

Once you sync, the dashboard will combine the data from the two trackers, and will likely only reflect 6000 steps.  And no, you won't be able to tell which steps are from the Charge 3 and Charge 2.

If you daughter has her own tracker, she should have her own account.  You may friend her from your account to track her activity.

If your daughter is younger than 13, you can create a child account from your account, but you'll need to set it up with one of the child trackers (Ace or Ace 2).

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much for the explanation.   I ended up creating a separate acount for her with an old email address I have.  It's annoying to have to log out and in, but it does the job.  I very much appreciate your time and thoroughness in your reply.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

@catbuff1,

Well, as long as you have her account friended, you can see her weekly totals from your friends page (or the equivalent in the Fitbit App).

Also keep in mind that you can use another device to sync her tracker (like a computer or tablet).  If you have a Windows 10 computer, you can even configure the Fitbit app to sync all nearby Fitbit devices, even if that's not the account that is logged in.  You'll need a Fitbit dongle, and you'll also need to enable that mode (Fitbit Connect Classic Mode) in the Fitbit App:

fitbit-connect-classic.jpg

If you contact support and chat with them politely, you can probably sweettalk them into sending you one free of charge.

So as long as she's in bluetooth range (30-40 feet) of the computer, she'll sync every 20 minutes or so.  You won't need to log out and log into her account to sync her tracker.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is interesting that posts continue on this - I gave up years ago and added a Garmin. If there is a way to stop this post, please do so and thanks!

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer

@ablair,

If you look at the post from the website, you can select "Unsubscribe" from the "..."

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi PureEvil and others,

Unlike ablair, I find the discussions interesting.

However like ablair I flicked Fitbit when they wouldn't cough up solutions only problems, and went to Garmin.

It syncs with my mobile phone etc., so I know when I have a message coming in, and I've never looked back.

The only bugbear in case you're also tempted is to ensure you know that like my two Fitbits now resting in my desk draw, the vivosmart 4 is welded into the band and cannot be repaired should the band break.

But I like the conversation and maybe if it goes on long enough Fitbit will resolve the 'two Charge 2 devices on one account' issue.

Cheers

Les K.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LesAK,

Out of curiosity, do you use two Garmin trackers on your account?

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi PureEvil,

That's a good question, the answer is No.

Having bought two Fitbits I was not inclined to rush out and buy two Garmin until I was sure I was happy with it. So I only have the one Garmin device at the moment, a vivosmart 4, but in reading the literature I understand that should I have two vivosmart 4's I could pair both devices and set one as my preferred activity tracker (whatever that means). Then when I sync first one, then the other, it adds the data together. I am confident I can do that because:

a. It states that I can; and

b. Each Garmin has a serial number that the Garmin software identifies, so it is able to differentiate between two Garmins of the same model.

Of course should I want to cheat (myself) I could wear both at the same time and get double the results.

I not only like the functionality of this device, it let's me know when someone is calling on my mobile (cell phone) or I receive an email, I also like it's looks with it's grey band and bronze surround, and of course it's water proof at least sufficient for a swim or a shower. So I probably will eventually get another before this goes bust.

It's one significant drawback is that like my two Fitbit's I cannot change the band on the vivosmart 4, I've got to throw the lot away or get Garmin to replace it should I break the band.

Cheers

Les K.

Best Answer

@LesAK,

I understand that you felt compelled to quit the platform because Fitbit wasn't giving you a feature which you felt that you needed to complete your experience.

That said allow me to make a few observations about your response:

• "Of course should I want to cheat (myself) I could wear both at the same time and get double the results.":  When you have two Fitbits paired with your account, Fitbit resolves all this for you.  Their algorithm is pretty good.  I often wear my One and Versa 2 at once and rarely get any unexpected results.
  • "it let's me know when someone is calling on my mobile (cell phone) or I receive an email":  I don't know about the model of Fitbits you have (the thread is on the Charge 2, but you mentioned the Charge HR).  I have the Versa 2 and I get call, texts, and e-mail notifications...  In fact, you can get notifications from anything your phone recognizes as a notifications, I get game notifications from my phone on my Versa 2.
  • "I also like it's looks with it's grey band and bronze surround":  Again, while I don't know which particular Fitbit tracker you have, with any of the newer trackers, they have removable straps, so there are a wealth of third party options out there.  I'm sure you'll find one that suits your needs; this is an option that as you point out, you lack on your vivosmart 4.
  • "of course it's water proof at least sufficient for a swim or a shower":  The two latest Charge models introduced (Charge 3 and Charge 4) are waterproof; they even track swimming.

So I took a quick look at your history on this thread and your first post was late in 2019, certainly long after the release of the Charge 3.  Had you gotten the Charge 3 (different model than you currently have) instead of the Vivosmart 4, it would've addressed your concerns.  The Charge HR, Charge 2, and Charge 3 will all work on the same account simultaneously.

I understand that you were frustrated that you were not able to put two of the same model trackers on the same account, but as a response to that, to not only get a different model, but a different platform altogether seems excessive.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

You do not understand. Go back and find my post. In the time between that one and this one they could have done what I outlined.

Your world view and/or perspective is yours. A lot of people do not agree with you, and you continue to defend it. It’s fine to disagree, it’s improper to call what someone did with their time or money a name when you disagree unless you are the one footing the bill for it.

I’ll explain to you how people get to this point. Please tear this apart and tell me how I’m wrong. This does not take into account multiple people on the same account like with kids. 

1 Person investigates which Fitbit they want if they are purchasing (unless it’s gifted to them) 

2. Person makes purchase or has it gifted to them. 

3. Person realizes they can’t track when charging. Whatever they are tracking. 
4. Person does not like gaps in data and decides to do something about it. 

So here is what you keep harping as people doing incorrectly:

5. Buys the same device

then this happens:

6. Can’t add a device twice. Confused. 
7 Finds this forum post. It’s super long and someone is being aggressive on here. 

Then they find you replying like this, it’s intimidating and unfriendly. Bless your heart for trying but I think we all get your point. You’ll defend this deficit in functionality. 

Meanwhile people obviously want it and are willing to spend money on it. And do so. Only to find out it’s not possible. 

You’re the only one defending this deficit. Perhaps it’s time for a review of your mentality. 

Best Answer

Thanks for being kind enough to respond. it's actually been years since this was posted and I am doing fine!

"Our lives begin to end the day we fail to speak up about things that matter" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ChirsChirs,

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Where do I "keep harping as people doing incorrectly".  Where on this thread do I tell people that they're wrong for doing something?  Do I call them stupid?  How can my words be considered insulting?  Or aggressive?

Let's say that we walk up to a grocery store together and you find that the door won't open, you look in and start waving your hands trying to get people's attention for a few minutes.  I suggest that we just walk down to the next set of doors which simply open.  Did harp you as doing it incorrectly?  Did I call you stupid?  Was I being aggressive?  I was simply suggesting an alternative for you to ultimately get what you want (get into the store).

While I agree that the first set of doors should simply open, it sounds to me that there are many people who are figuratively telling me to stop suggesting we go to the other set of doors and continue to wave wildly at the set of closed doors.  Really, at the end of the day, I'm just trying to remove obstacles.

Do I point out that it's not going to work?  Yes, but that's not news to anyone on this thread.  That said, on most of my responses, I've asked people what they were ultimately trying to achieve (go back through my posts if you don't believe me), so that I may suggest a work around (not to call them stupid or suggest that they're wrong for wanting it).

You mention "can't track while charging" and "not wanting gaps in data".  While again, I won't tell you that you're wrong, I suggested that as a workaround you might simply plug it in to charge each time you shower.  Would that address the gaps in data?

If any user quits the platform because they're encountering a problem (in this case the same device on the same account).  Don't you think that it's at least curious that someone felt strongly enough about this problem to switch to Garmin and yet they don't use that very same feature on Garmin?

I did go back to read through your post, while that's certainly feasible, there are some hurdles that made them somewhat impractical; I thought I addressed them on my responses.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

To All: Sorry if I've sent this twice. I had an 'authentication failure' while I was posting it.

Hi PureEvil,

Good to read your replies.

A slight correction.

It wasn't that I felt 'compelled', it was simply a matter of not being able to synchronise either of my two Fitbits. So after several attempts I decided that rather than muck about and lose more unrecorded time while I tried to fix this problem, I would bale and go to a different non-watch type make and model.

I was reading through your response to ChirsChirs and noticed you referenced me and stated "and yet they don't use that very same feature on Garmin?".

Even though you are 'making a point', because I have covered this issue in previous replies I feel your reference is a bit unfair.

So two very brief points I'll reiterate here as I don't need to dwell on it.

1. I left Fitbit, not because of not being able to sync two Fitbits of the same make and model, but because I couldn't sync at all. Neither Fitbit would synchronise and no matter what I did including a Total software delete and reinstall, 'we' couldn't fix the problem.
  2. I didn't say I would never have two of the same make and model, simply that I only have one 'at the moment'.

But let's move on.

I agree with your paradigm that people should do their homework before they buy, and you then get what you expect to get, and yes you should stop grizzling (I'm not quoting anyone here), and take responsibility for your decision.

By way of example I'm not sure I did my homework sufficiently when I bought my current tracker as it has one of the faults that my Fitbit tracker has which is it's molded into the wristband.

Not grizzling about it as I will deal with it if and when I have to.

The other equally valid and by the way non-contradictory, paradigm is that it's simply good business to listen to your customers comments and concerns (which is not grizzling by the way) and give them what they want (within reason).

That's of course why companies frequently conduct customer satisfaction surveys.

More strength to the Fitbit customer in being proactive in identifying the issue and bringing it to Fitbits' attention.

That's really what this message stream is all about, constructively identifying a weakness so Fitbit can fix it.

There is an issue identified by the Fitbit customers, Fitbit should listen and at least provide the courtesy of an acknowledgement; and over time address the issue.

Everything else is a distraction or at best tinsel dressing.

Here's a bit of tinsel dressing:

This is a bit like the Henry Ford model T option, and no I'm not that old.

I understand his attitude was you can have any colour you like so long as it's black (maybe he could only get black paint). He didn't listen until the competition caught up with him,and now . .. you can have nearly any colour you like including the non-black options.

I personally don't care whether Fitbit fix this problem or continue to suggest by their lack of response that they don't care. As we're all aware, no tracker lasts forever and judging by the tracker reviews on different makes and models there is a lot of competition out there. So an intelligent company or at least a profit driven company would acknowledge and fix this issue either by putting out a modified model or a new model, otherwise it is guaranteed that they will lose market share.

To quote a movie: . . . . "It's Just Good Business".

Nearly forgot - yep there are excellent watch-type trackers including the Fitbit ones that you have mentioned, and in many of these surveys Fitbit comes out in front, but it depends what you want.

As I have a choice I don't want a watch-type tracker.

I want as my first Fitbit was and my current tracker is; a slimline banded tracker, which I wear on my right wrist.

I already have a watch, (the old fashioned type with a dial and mechanical arms) which I wear on my left wrist, and of course like nearly everyone else I also have a state of the art smart phone which also, more as a sideline now, tells the time.

Cheers until next time.

Les K.

Best Answer
0 Votes