Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up two Charge 2 devices on one account

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a second Charge 2 and would like to add it to my account. However, the app is forcing me to disconnect the first one in order to add the second one. How do I connect both to my account so I can switch back and forth between them?

Best Answer
108 REPLIES 108

In that two years,  apparently only 500 users would like to see two of the same trackers on one account implemented. This also will require a major rework of the logic on the server. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

...Or maybe only 500 people signed into their accounts to post something? We get it. You don’t agree. You can now lay your down and stop replying. It’s all ok. 

Best Answer

I’ve come to this forum several times but your current response is why I finally replied. I have 3 children, 2 with an Alta and 1 with an Ace. They do not have a separate account. We have a family account and share the same apps. Now I have to say sorry kids Fitbit will only let one of you Alta’s use this app. You’ll have to wait so I can log out, go login to another account sync your Fitbit, then I can tell you your data for the day. Trying to do all this and drive in the pickup line. (Insert big eye roll) So now, one kid has to downgrade to the flex. Because we can’t just run out and by another Fitbit. These were passed down from mom & dad when we upgraded. Fitbit sees no responsibility to address the needs of families with multiple children on the same plan. Did you ever stop to think that maybe people don’t want to go through the hassle of setting up an account just so they can post on this forum? If you have an issue, you search google. Google gives an answer. You try it, it works. So you move along. Most people aren’t going to go out of their way to address an issue that obviously hasn’t been implemented yet. So, while only 500 people may have responded, I’m positive that number was a lot higher. And nothing. Fitbit has still done nothing in over 2 years to address this lack of functionality. Your response is why I decided to finally post a comment. Fitbit’s lack of support for family dynamics is why I’ve switched to an Apple Watch. 

Best Answer

How exactly is having two devices all that difficult? Add another field to the database, update the client to update this field, allow the user to pick a color so that’s one additional drop down or menu. 

It’s not hard. Obviously people do want it. I’d say it would be harder to add support for multiple devices at all but that’s done already. The just extends support. It’s at most 2 additional classes, one additional column and one additional asset per device color if they wanted to get fancy and show colored devices in the interface. With regression testing and implementation that’s maybe 15 hours of work tops for a jr developer. 

Not having this reduces sales for people who want these devices and also want to color coordinate their wardrobe. If you look at the post with votes there are three overarching user stories

- Color coordination

- Second device while charging the first

- Children’s devices.

If the problems with adding a new charge hr weren’t there this would be less frustrating, but usually you have to kill the app 5-6 times before it decides to actually add a charge hr. 

It seems as though the multi device support was added without consideration for actual purchase usage.

One other point. The vote count is misleading. I’ve wanted this for a while for instance and just now found this post. A better metric would be for Fitbit to run metrics on which accounts consistently remove a device and then add another device weekly of the same device type. Vote count on this forum is simply conjecture. Restating it over and over only serves to put you in a poor light. 

Best Answer

You saved me here. I was literally about to give my kids devices to help with good habits after reactivating my devices. Glad I didn’t buy them devices yet. Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is absolutely ridiculous. And since I just purchased my second charge 2 because my HR died, would have been nice to know ahead of time.

Best Answer

I agree! I have the flex 2 and want another to wear while one is charging. Surely Fitbit has this solved, I don’t like to be without my Fitbit and I want two of the same model!

Best Answer

What makes this ridiculous is the fact that Fitbit is acknowledging the usefulness of having two devices linked to the same account.  Why else would they include such functionality.  Name your reason for having two non-like devices and the same reasoning could likely be used for having two like devices. 

Comparing the Fitbit to anything other than a biometric tracker is a false correlate and used by people who think that to criticize a product is to criticize all users of that product (it's not).

Fitbit should take their heads out of the dark hole they are in and hire better programmers who can overcome the real problem.  It isn't a choice to not include this functionality, you see.  It's because they have taken a path for the firmware and they don't have the skill or professional ethics to do what so many of their customers want.

Best Answer

@pdezin,

The rationale was that two trackers of different models have features that would complement each other.  For instance, I have a walking desk and I don't move my wrists while I type.  I use the Fitbit One because it clips on and registers those steps.  However, I also want to get HR monitoring and notifications, which is the reason why I wear the Fitbit Ionic.  Each of them have features that the other lacks; they complement each other well.

If I were to get a second Ionic, what features would I gain over the first one?  None.

The second reason for the "no two of the same tracker" limitation is because much of the Fitbit UI (like selecting clock faces, etc.) are centered around that device model from the Fitbit App.  Could they do update the app to allow you to name each of your devices and then tweak the settings that way?  I'm sure they could, but that's a lot of work for, no offense, a modest number of folks who want this feature.

Also keep in mind, that some devices, like the Flex 2, don't have a display and look identical.  So you'll have a really difficult time telling them apart if you pair multiple to your account.

@crush1115,

Politely assuming that you shower regularly, simply plug your Flex 2 in to charge while you shower.  No, this won't top off the charge on your tracker, but it should give you enough of a charge to last you until you next shower.  Trust me, this works...  I tried this and was able to maintain a charge for months.

If you're worried that you may forget to put your tracker back on, loop the charging cable through your house keys before plugging it in to charge.  If you can't leave the house without your keys, you can't leave the house without your Fitbit.

Additionally, the Flex 2 and Flex are really similar in function and how they are worn.  You can get the Flex to wear while your Flex 2 charges.  It's only for a couple of hours every five days or so; I don't imagine that wearing a Flex (vs. a Flex 2) while the other charges is going to fracture your life.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, reading through this thread, I realize that there is some confusion about the way this feature works...  and hopefully, I may suggest some workarounds for you to get what you want.

Step counting with multiple trackers: If you set up two trackers (like the One and Flex) on one account, you don't see data for each tracker.  You see your combined data as if it were collected from one tracker.  So if you give each of these to two of your kids and they're both out playing at the same time and each gets 5000 steps...  You'll see 5000 steps on the dashboard...  Not 5000 for the Flex and 5000 for the One.  Try it if you don't believe me.

Having multiple trackers can be a nuisance: While I use multiple trackers (currently the Ionic and One), there are times when this can be a bit of a burden.  So say you go out for a morning run (and get 3000 steps) with your Ionic...  You come home, shower, clip on your One and head to work.  You check your steps, it reads 500 steps.  The problem is that in order for the 3000 steps from your run to register, you need to sync your Ionic.  It doesn't matter how often you try to sync at work, the steps from your run are captive until you get home to sync.  If you read the article on this feature, they advise you to sync both devices before switching.  Otherwise there's no way to know your real progress.

On multiple accounts:  The appropriate way to configure multiple trackers for different people (presumably children) is for each of them to have their own account.  Yes, there's the option for the child account (which I haven't used), but generally, it'd be to have different e-mail addresses per account and multiple accounts.  Note:  You can probably configure a new account by using "+name" on your e-mail address.  So if your e-mail is myname@gmail.com, sending mail to 'myname+sally@gmail.com' probably works (gets to your original mailbox).  This way you can establish an account for each child and have each of their activities tracked individually.  Trust me on this, having multiple trackers per account (with the exception of children's account) independent of models doesn't help you.

On syncing multiple trackers: If you have enough kids at home and you don't want to need to continuously log out and log back in to sync all their trackers there's an easy workaround for that too.  The way Fitbits first started was they synced through a dongle (which was included in older models).  The nifty thing about syncing through a dongle is that it syncs all nearby Fitbits even if they're not logged in.  You can still enable that in the Windows 10 Fitbit App:

fitbit-connect-classic.jpg

You can get the dongle from the store for $7 or if you contact Fitbit support (and ask them politely) you can probably sweet talk them into sending you one for free.

You can look at everyone's collective totals for the week on the leaderboard.

So again looking at reasons (as listed by @ChirsChirs ) for having multiple of the same tracker:

• Color coordination - All new trackers (and most old ones) have swappable bands.  Trust me on this, it takes more time to sync two trackers in a particular order than it takes to swap bands on one tracker.  I can swap the bands on most trackers in less than 30 seconds.  Granted for some trackers, the tracker itself comes in different colors, but the vast majority of people simply want a band of a different color.
  • Second device while charging the first - As I suggested, charge your device when you shower (where you don't get a whole lot of steps anyway).  You won't top it off, but you can maintain a charge indefinitely.  As I mentioned above, I was able to run this way for months.  If you're worried about leaving it behind, loop your charging cable through your keys.
  • Children's devices - As I mentioned above, that's not how multiple trackers works.  They combine all data into one dashboard, you can't distinguish which steps are from which device and if steps occur at the same time, Fitbit just picks one set of numbers.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer

Rich how do we get our request added to the list....It seems from the views on this thread there is a desire to have this.. for the afore mentioned reasons

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get it now... No, not why Fitbit decides to permit a function for multiple different models but not for two of the same model.  No, what I get is that you are the type of shill who thinks that all requests or comments against a company are a shot at you, requiring some BS excuse to defend a company that you benefit from in no way.

I, and everyone else here need but one reason to request features.  It would benefit our usage of the product.  We need only one reason because it was our dollars (or those of the person who gifted it to them) that purchased the product.  Get off your high horse.  You may not want or need this but others do.  Unless you have something constructive to say that isn't just about saying no, no, no your idea is wrong and here's why, then move on.  You seem to like posting here.  

Best Answer

@pdezin,

You mention assert that "I, and everyone else here need but one reason to request features.  It would benefit our usage of the product."

So let's say that Fitbit implements this feature.  There are a number of posters on this thread that want to put the same model tracker on different kids and track their activity individually...  They'd be delighted, right?

Except that's not how the feature works (it doesn't track activity for each tracker separately).  It would not (your words) "benefit their usage of the product".

It's not a question of whether I'm trying to defend the company.  It's a question of my ultimately trying to get you unblocked with (most of) what you want without necessarily needing to wait for Fitbit.

Look, I'm just a user like you...  I'm just experienced with different features of the product.  If I can make a suggestion (like charging the tracker when you're in the shower), that gets you 90% of what you want (not losing steps while you charge your tracker).  Do you want to pout to waiting for Fitbit to implement the feature OR try my suggestion, benefit from it, and move on with life?

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

This post goes on and on even though it has been a LONG time since I wrote it - I hope it disappears soon, as this answer is kinda snotty and not appreciated.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

I agree, we should be able to connect two of the same Fitbit types to one account.  I like the colored ones but they don't always match, and I am happy with the function of the Charge HR so I do not want a different device.  

Best Answer

I have to agree, I have 2 of the same kind and I thought prior it would work while one is charging the other would sync, but it seems ugh disastrous now. The software programer's, need to do something here and Yes there are More of US out there that want and desire that! not another different one we picked what we wanted to have how hard is that?

Best Answer

I, too, bought a second one of the same FitBit model (Charge HR 2) because it has *EXACTLY* the features I want, and *NONE* of the other FitBits have those exact options.  I'm active from 7:30 am until at least 12:30 am every day.  I want to count all my steps, all my exercising, and all my sleep, so I bought a second one of the same model to wear while the first one is charging.  I completely disagree with the "charge it while you shower" option.  It takes my Charge HR 2 between 3 and 4 hours to charge fully, and the 10 to 15 minutes I have it off while I'm in the shower will only give me about 1% of my charge back.  Even if I leave it off from the time I start getting ready to shower until the time I'm done in the bathroom, dressed, and ready to go for the rest of the day, I might get a 2 to 3% charge.  I don't have time to sit around waiting for it to charge sufficiently to last the rest of the day while it's not counting my steps, or the rest of the night when I want to track my sleep.  Sorry, PureEvil, but you're simply wrong in this case.  And contrary to what you might think, your posts ARE somewhat condescending much of the time.

Best Answer

@SnowCat,

I would've responded sooner, but I had loaned my tracker to a friend.  Now that I have it back I can start to address some of your questions and comments.

First you claimed:  "I, too, bought a second one of the same FitBit model (Charge HR 2) because it has *EXACTLY* the features I want, and *NONE* of the other FitBits have those exact options."

First, there is no model called the Charge HR 2; here's the complete list of models.  There's the Charge HR and the Charge 2.  They're distinctly different; I'm assuming that you mean the Charge 2.

Second, the Charge 3 is very similar in size (and price) to the Charge 2 and has every feature of the Charge 2.  In fact, the Charge 3 also adds (at least): swim proof, swim tracking, NFC payments, and longer battery life.  They can both be paired to the same account.  Here's a picture of the two of them side by side (nearly indistinguishable):fitbit-charge2-3.jpg

Next you claimed: "I'm active from 7:30 am until at least 12:30 am every day. I want to count all my steps, all my exercising, and all my sleep..."

The emphasis mine; I'll explain.  Right now, it sounds like the only way that you envision achieving the above is to:

1. Wear your Charge 2 until you're low on battery.
  2. Switch to your other Charge 2.
  3. Repeat.

So the Charge 2 maintains its battery for five days and you claimed that it takes 3-4 hours to fully charge.  So instead of doing the above, why not instead:

1. Wear your Charge 2 normally.
  2. Twice a week, plug in your Charge 2 while you sleep and strap on another tracker (like an Inspire HR).
  3. Upon waking up, plug in your other tracker and strap on your Charge 2.

The vast majority of the trackers will do sleep tracking.  If you want more detailed sleep information, you'll want to get a tracker with HR monitoring.  So unless you anticipate doing a whole lot of exercising and/or stair climbing while you sleep, the Inspire HR will do a more than adequate job tracking your sleep while you charge your main tracker.

So other than a response like "Why should I have to do that?"  Can you think of a reason why doing the above wouldn't work to track all your activity and sleep with no down time?

Additionally, you claimed: "I completely disagree with the "charge it while you shower" option.  It takes my Charge HR 2 between 3 and 4 hours to charge fully, and the 10 to 15 minutes I have it off while I'm in the shower will only give me about 1% of my charge back.  Even if I leave it off from the time I start getting ready to shower until the time I'm done in the bathroom, dressed, and ready to go for the rest of the day, I might get a 2 to 3% charge."

I have never claimed that you'd be able top off the charge while charging it in the shower; you can check my posts (most of them remain unedited).  I have claimed multiple times, that while you won't top off the charge, you can hold a charge indefinitely.  I stand by that claim.

Let's do the math.  The Charge 2 battery lasts for five days, so as long as you can bump the charge by at least 20% (1/5 of the battery), you're fine until the next day.  Fitbits charge much like cell phones do, the closer you are to a full charge, the slower they charge.  This is the reason why it takes you so long to get just the last 1% between 99% to 100%.  So how long does it take to charge the battery by at least 20%?  I have actually measured it:

fitbit-17minutecharge.jpg

So I took a picture of my Charge 2 with the battery capacity on top of a browser pointing to time.is where the time runs constantly.  It took 17 minutes to charge the battery 24% (from 6% to 30%).  What you'll observe, if you charge your tracker (everyday) while you shower... it'll drop off steadily and it won't come back up to the full charge, but it'll hold steady at around 30-40% (after charging).

Maybe you don't shower everyday or maybe you shower exceptionally quickly, but for most people I think this works just fine... charge everyday for 15-20 minutes.

Finally, you state: "And contrary to what you might think, your posts ARE somewhat condescending much of the time."

Well, I'd like you to take a couple of things into account...

First, this is a forum and it's here so that people may express their opinion.  Just because my opinion is different than yours and I can suggest ideas that may not have occurred to you, doesn't, in and of itself, make my posts condescending.  Not once did I mention on this thread that you are foolish for wanting this feature.  What I have tried to do is that, in the absence of this feature, made suggestions in order for you to ultimately get what you want.

I have nearly 500 more votes than I have posts; at least entertain the idea that my aspiration is to be helpful rather than not.

Second, when I make a statement like, "No, it won't get your charge up to 100%, but it'll charge it enough so that you can use it until your next shower." very plainly and you choose to misread it, and you respond with, "Sorry, PureEvil, but you're simply wrong in this case."

My needing to post a response to illustrate the point (with screen shots as evidence) is going to seem confrontational and condescending...  Just because you didn't read my posts carefully.

I hope this helps (if not you, then perhaps other readers on this thread).

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

My goodness. I have recently tracked the many emails over the years on this issue, and what it really boils down to is poor customer service. It's all in the way you look at things but I would have expected the Fitbit staff to have realised by now that this issue will not go away and have provided a more positive and constructive response than suggesting you take a shower.

I accept that it is difficult, it's probably expensive, but in essence it’s simply a (difficult) software update issue. Unfortunately the explanations I’ve read have the implication of: 'we hear you and we're not going to do anything about it because it’s too hard'. That's not a good way to keep your customers happy and loyal, which is what good service is all about = which will grow your customer base.😊

I wonder if Fitbit believe they have a "captured" customer base'. 

I have two Charge HR's, having recently purchased a second (in excellent 2nd hand condition), and so of course I will now 'park' that one until the current one gets well and truly wrecked. When they've both died I will then move onto the competition. 

Anyone remember the mega-giant corporation IBM? They also thought they’d ‘captured’ the market, yet you rarely hear of them now.🙄

Best Answer

Good for you!

sent from my iPhone

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes