Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treadmill accuracy issues

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been using my Fitbit Charge HR for a couple of weeks now, and while I am finding so many aspects beneficial I have been encountering issues with accuracy regarding treadmill workouts.

Both step count and mileage in grossly under reported by my Fitbit, for instance today I did 3.83 miles of inclined walking and my Fitbit only recorded 5,608 steps and 2.4 miles.  I do not hold on to the rails at any point in my workouts and my arms swing naturally.  Every workout I've had on the treadmill I have had to delete the entry and manually enter the correct distance values, which then updates the step count.  It is winter in new England and not many brave souls are out logging miles in freezing conditions, I use my treadmill daily for workouts.

However, now I do not get credit for my manually enetered steps for daily challenges or badges.  

How can this Fitbit be so innacurate on both distance and step count on one of the most common methods of excercise?

Best Answer
252 REPLIES 252

MY experience  doing what you suggest did not deliver accurate results.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the new Fitbit Charge HR 2. It is also inaccurate when I walk on the treadmill. I walked 5 miles on the treadmill today, and the Fitbit only tracked 4 miles. I do not hold the rails when I walk. Not sure why this is happening 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My issue is distance. I have the one, the blaze, and the ulta which I use most often. I have a brand new treadmill and ulta does not track distance on the treadmill accurately. The One absolutely is the most accurate for steps and distance but way too easy to forget and/or lose. There has to be a way to calibrate fitbit distance to match the treadmill right? Because then the calibrated steps would be more accurate, right? Just need to know how to sync/calibrate distance with treadmill and Fitbit. Anyone?

Best Answer

I have a walking treadmill desk, so I stand/walk at a constant 2.1 MPH while I work.   Same issues as you describe (accuracy), and in this instance it's because my hands are on a keyboard and/or mouse.

I have "solved" this using two different methods, the first one I like better and it is relatively accurate in step count.

1) Turn off the HR function and simply put the Charge deep in a pocket.  I wear cargo pants often so usually put it in the outer pocket that is lower, closer to the knee.  It's generally within 10% error of the steps on my treadmill desk.  Note that it's a LifeSpan treadmill desk so your actual impacts are counted on the treadmill, not just the track moving with some false number.  The HR is not used and FitBit uses 6-7 cals/min (which is relatively close for me) as the burn calculation.

2) Keep the HR function on and I place it on my left ankle.  The strap barely  fits (last hole), but I then pull my sock up over it and it reads HR like a champ.  The problem with this solution is one of comfort -- the band is so tight that I simply do not like having it anywhere else on my body.  The step count is just as accurate as the solution above.

Note that neither method gives me the same DISTANCE as indicated on treadmill, but I'm not as worried about that number (if I'm worried at all).  I was a long-time Bodymedia beta tester (bought by Jawbone) and then a long-time UP2 and UP3 user and have complete faith in the caloric burn assumption (for walking on a treadmill) as reported by the Charge (referenced to almost 2 years of wearing a Bodymedia device).  UP2 and UP3 used a terrible algorithm so once my UP3 died I abandoned them for the FitBit.

Soooooooo, give the ankle thing a try, and also experiement being in your pocket.  You'll be "in the ballpark".  Just remember to turn off the HR if it's in your pocket, and then turn it back on when you start wearing it again.  Sometimes the HR goes wild in your pocket and gives you HRs in the 200's, affecting your caloric burn, which will put you right back to square one with manual entry.

Regards.

Best Answer
Thanks PaulGDuncan. As I am rehabbing from a heart attack, HR is a priority for me, so I will try the ankle placement.
Best Answer

I have a flex & noticed the same issues when I wore the unit on my wrist, so yesterday I put the band through one of the button holes in my shirt collar & fastened it, surprisingly I got much more comparable readings to the treadmills display. I now intend to look for something I can wear around my neck as a experiment.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I usually go in and "add" my treadmill distance for the exact time and it recalculates my steps. 

I just bought a band extender on Amazon for under $10 and can now strap it to my ankle. It is much more accurate on the treadmill and will also pick up your posterior tibial pulse for HR. 

Best Answer

I, also walked 60 minutes on the treadmill at 3 miles per hour and got 4,744 steps.  The treadmill said I walked 2.87 miles and the fitbit Charge 2 said it was 1.95 miles.  I swing my arms and never hold the rails.  It is just the Fitbit that is not counting correctly.  I notice if I go slower (etc. 2.5 or 2.7), it counts more accurately.  I hate that.  The object is to push yourself to go harder but you won't get an accurate counting if you do.  I wish it would do better but I am losing weight so I just use it as a "push" not a reality.  Also, another note is that it seemed to be more accurate 20 lbs ago than it is now.  As I lose weight, it get more inaccurate.  

Best Answer
Buy a band extender on Amazon (about $10) and put the Fitbit around your ankle. It will then record steps more accurately on the treadmill. That worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@lmembree please realize your tracker can not measure miles, so we need to look at the step count. 

Have you done a step count test yet? Take a walk on the treadmill while counting your steps, then compare to what the tracker counted. 

Fitbit uses this step count and your stride, which will be different then while walking outside, to calculate, think of it as taking a guess, at the distance. 

Best Answer

Your math formula is correct but if my Fitbit cannot accurately count my steps then this inaccurate  variable in your formula will not deliver an accurate distance measurement.   This is the underlying problem with the Fitbit. Until this is corrected none of the other metrics are accurate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So a wrist worn step counter must be moved to the ankle to increase accuracy.   If I wanted an ankle unit I would have purchased one.

Best Answer

Buy a band extender on Amazon (about $10). You can then strap the Fitbit to your ankle and it will accurately record your steps while on a treadmill. The distance may not be totally accurate, but close, because it calculates it from your step count, and on the treadmill you tend to take more regular and longer strides. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's been my point for everyone that raises this as a solution. I didn't buy a wrist tracker to wear it on my ankle/shoe or in my pocket. This is why mine have both been returned and I'm sticking with my One which is very accurate.

You continue to offer this as a solution. Most of us didn't buy a wrist tracker to have to buy accessories and wear it on our ankle. It should be accurate on your wrist the way it is designed to be worn.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I've done test on a treadmill, and have my Charge HR, Surge, and Charge 2 to be accurate, these are the only ones I've tested, as long as my arms are moving naturally and I'm not holding on to the support rails. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You must be a Fitbit employee or a stockholder.  No other reason to try to deceive the readers on this forum. 

Best Answer

My experience is similar to yours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine doesn't count on the treadmill either.  I have an Alta.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks! I didn't know that.  new to the treadmill, normally walk outside... I thought you were "supposed" to hold on!!! LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well support rails have always been on these things, and they are great for that extra needed support. 

It however is better to slow down if needed andvnot deoend on them.

They drastically cut the calories burnt

Keep the user from fine tunning their ballance ability

Can actually cause an unlearning of ballance, leading to more injury during a free run

The body becomes repetitive,  with less variations, using the same joints the same way causing repetative knee damage.

To name just a few.

Best Answer
0 Votes