Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treadmill accuracy issues

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been using my Fitbit Charge HR for a couple of weeks now, and while I am finding so many aspects beneficial I have been encountering issues with accuracy regarding treadmill workouts.

Both step count and mileage in grossly under reported by my Fitbit, for instance today I did 3.83 miles of inclined walking and my Fitbit only recorded 5,608 steps and 2.4 miles.  I do not hold on to the rails at any point in my workouts and my arms swing naturally.  Every workout I've had on the treadmill I have had to delete the entry and manually enter the correct distance values, which then updates the step count.  It is winter in new England and not many brave souls are out logging miles in freezing conditions, I use my treadmill daily for workouts.

However, now I do not get credit for my manually enetered steps for daily challenges or badges.  

How can this Fitbit be so innacurate on both distance and step count on one of the most common methods of excercise?

Best Answer
252 REPLIES 252

Screenshot_20180125-023240.jpg

Best Answer

Lol. I think heshe meant on this topic

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Screenshot_20180125-023240.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was pointing out the help link in response to @Bbgun007

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I understood your message but there is no "help" link available on the page you sent.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can buy an extender band for less than $10 on Amazon. It will then fit in your ankle. I can’t wear a watch at work so I often wear mine on my ankle. It’s very accurate that way.  Much better for treadmill!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have put my FitBit inside my sock for the day. It seems to count about half as many steps and my heart rate is registered much much lower.

Best Answer
0 Votes
When I actually put on my ankle with an extender band it reads very accurately. It can also pick up your popliteal pulse if positioned right.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Agreed with putting on ankle; very accurate in step count.  Distance varies because stride is different on the treadmill, but count is very accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My charge HR is nothing more than a very expensive toy. As a fitness device it is very inaccurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PaulGDuncan wrote:

Agreed with putting on ankle; very accurate in step count.  Distance varies because stride is different on the treadmill, but count is very accurate.

Just don't tap your foot or play with the break and gas pedals, then if you hold onto the hand rails you'll burn up to 40 % less calories along with teaching your body to trust supports rather then teach balance. 

While I haven't run on the treadmill a brisk walk of 500 straps, counted as 250 left steps gets 500 step. +- 2. Counting off 1000 steps also gives me 1000 +- 2 steps. 

Best Answer
Duh,   You totally did not read what I posted did you?  
   Posting an answer to something that was not asked is just plain stupid.
   Thanks for nothing!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh yes I did read your answer. 

I first mentioned how wearing the tracker on the ankle can give false steps. 

Then I mentioned why one would not want to hold onto the rails. 

If one does not hold onto the rails and let's the arms swing naturally, then my tests as well as other people's confirmation have shown the step count to be accurate. 

Now if the stride is corrected, so will the distance be. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the charge 2 and I have absolutely no idea with the accuracy. I can
do 5k and the treadmill and Fitbit will be off for 20 meters.
Best Answer

As mentioned above @Paleman27 your tracker while your on the treadmill had no way of measuring the, think imaginary, distance. Your tracker is only able to count your steps, if you keep the arms of the supports, then will take a guess at the distance based on steps and perceived stride c

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nowhere in my issue did I ever mention anything about walking on a treadmill. Nor did I challenge the distance measurement. 
I run 5K on an indoor track.  After running my Charge HR will show I climbed 56 flights of stairs.   This is an accuracy problem. The calorie burn is also very inaccurate because it doesn't include climbing stairs in this computation when climbing stairs is a fantastic way to burn calories.
Just face it, Fitbit is only a toy, not a real health/fitness device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your input. Loving my Fitbit!

Btw it has been a long time since I didn't ran into a troller. Thank you
for making my day!

I think we don't have the same toy.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry @Bbgun007 I had assumed that your problem was in line with the subject of the thread. No where was an indoor track mentioned, GPS will not work. Your tracker is still unable to measure distance. It uses the step count and stride to take an educated guess. First step is to test the accuracy of the step counting. 

I had not realized that the thread was being hijacked. It would have been less confusing to start a new thread with a relevant title. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Why do you mention GPS when there was no mention of it in my post? Why don't you address the issue of inaccurate counting flights of stairs which was addressed in my post?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope you are getting paid well to say good things about the Fitbit. It is inaccurate in counting flights of stairs, calories and heart rate.  So, what good is it more than what a $10 pedometer can do?

Moderator Edit: Word Choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

This thread is about treadmills not flights of stairs, not walking on indoor tracks. 

Why are you by jacking the thread? 

Now to an answer you, you wanted to know why your distance is off on a treadmill, that is the subject if the thread. . I was explaining why the distance was off.. I was informed that you where not using a treadmill but an indoor track. Either way your Fitbit is unable to measure distance because GPS can not be used. That is why GPS was brought up.

As for the flights of stairs, I would need to know more about the building. You will only get them from changes in atmospheric pressure while the tracker says your moving.

A few things that could affect the atomospheric pressure: 

Fans 

Ventilation systems

A pressurized building and a door opening 

Best Answer
0 Votes