Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS just won't work on my Inspire HR

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I tried everything, but I can't get connected GPS to work on my Inspire HR. When I start an exercise, walking, it tries to connect, then says something about start the fitbit app, then it says not found. If I start the activity anyway, it breaks off. I have to disable GPS on the device now to be able to track activities (without GPS then ofcourse).

I tried starting the fitbit app first, or the device first, rebooted the phone, no luck. I followed the manual and help info. The app has access to my location. But it also says to check in the fitbit app that connected GPS will be turned on for the activity (same as for some other devices), but I only have the different activities under auto-recognize, and both for walk end run it says there that connected GPS won't be turned on, and it is not possible to change it there. 

Am I missing something ?

Very frustrating when you buy a brand new device from the market leader ... My bf has a cheap one that costs 1/3 of the price and it works fine ...

My phone is an LG G6, should be recent enough ? Android version is 8. Firmware Fit OS 34.20001.60.39. 

Thanks for helping me solve this.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Incredible. For the first time, my device now connects and remains connected to my Pixel 2 XL during an exercise.

I uninstalled the Fitbit app, rebooted my Fitbit, reinstalled the Fitbit app, and this time accepted the prompt to receive notifications on my device. Originally, I never set up notifications - maybe this permission was required to establish a connection to my phone? It's the only thing I did differently.

I've gone on a few hour-long runs and the entire route was accurately mapped. I also started the exercise solely from the Fitbit, my phone remained in my pocket the whole time. I'm still wary of this feature breaking any day but thought I'd share.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

Hi @SunsetRunner thank you for your participation in the forums. Sorry for the delayed response

I appreciate the steps that you've taken for solve the issues while using connected GPS with your Inspire HR. Thanks for confirming the model of your phone, this is a supported device so it should be able to connect properly.

Please confirm the Fitbit requirement:

• Turn on Bluetooth on your phone and make sure your device is connected to the phone. To confirm, go into your phone's Bluetooth settings and make sure you see your device listed.
  • (Android only) Make sure the Fitbit app is allowed to run in the background on your phone. For more information, see Why is the Fitbit app sending a notification to my Android phone?
  • Choose an exercise from the Exercise app that uses connected GPS. To check that connected GPS is turned on:
    • Check in the Fitbit app. Tap the Account icon  > your device image > Exercise Shortcuts. Tap the exercise you want and verify that connected GPS is on.
  • Your phone is within 30 feet of your device.
  • Your phone can identify your location and can track your location when you're not using Wi-Fi. For more information on which phone settings you may need to adjust, see How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?
  • (Android only) If your mobile device is running Android 6.0 or later, see Why do I receive access requests from the Fitbit app on my Android mobile device?

After checking the requirements, please try to connect your Fitbit again with these steps. If that doesn't work restart your Fitbit Inspire HR with these instructions and restart your phone after force closing the Fitbit app. This should be solving the issues with connected GPS.

Keep me posted on the resolution.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
Hi,

I restarted the device like instructed, started an exercise on the device,
and now something registers in GPS but only the last partial km in a
straight line. It's progress but still not what it should be :
[image: image.png]

The problem with the help instructions is this :
"To check that connected GPS is turned on: Check in the Fitbit app. Tap the
Account icon > your device image > Exercise Shortcuts."

I only see this in the fitbit app where you tell me to look (sorry it's in
Dutch) :

Nothing about GPS ("signalen" = cues).

And the only other place where the activities are listed is with goals -
autorecognition, and there it says GPS won't be turned on and it's not
changeable.

Any further help is appreciated, thanks !
Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner thanks for getting back and for checking the steps that you've done.

I noticed that you tried to upload an image, thanks a million for that. I was not able to see it but next time you can try these steps. I've checked the information on the Fitbit app and this is what I can see:

run with GPS.PNG

If you can see the same information, then we need to check what is affecting GPS. All GPS devices, whether your phone or a Fitbit device, require a direct path to these satellites in order to receive their radio transmissions. If the signal is blocked either because you're underground, near many tall buildings, or as a result of atmospheric effects GPS won't work. While GPS gives you a more accurate measure of distance than step counting alone, the actual accuracy depends on both your environment and the weather.

If the GPS signal is lost, your phone or Fitbit device continually searches for a GPS signal as long as an exercise is in progress.

What exercise are you selecting? Can you please check GPS workouts in a different place?

I'll be around.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

This is what I got after restarting the device :

image.png

In the mean time I tried again, and the situation is the same as before, no GPS tracking and the exercise breaks aff after a while.

The problem with the help instructions is this :
"To check that connected GPS is turned on: Check in the Fitbit app. Tap the Account icon  > your device image > Exercise Shortcuts."

I only see this in the fitbit app where you tell me to look (sorry it's in Dutch) :image (1).png

Nothing about GPS ("signalen" = cues). So not at all what's on your screen.

And the only other place where the activities are listed is with goals - autorecognition, and there it says GPS won't be turned on and it's not changeable :image (2).png

This is for Walk, but RUn is the same.

Any further help is appreciated, thanks !

Best Answer

I'm experiencing the same issue on a Pixel 2 XL running Android 9.0. I've followed the troubleshooting steps. The Fitbit app was granted location service permissions.

I don't see anything in the Fitbit app that looks like thehis screenshot you provided. Can you provide instructions on how to access that his screen?

Best Answer

For further context, I'm running version 2.94 of the Android app. My Inspire HR (version 34.20001.60.39) never establishes a GPS connection when starting the run exercise. The text "Connecting" continues to scroll for a few minutes before saying "not found".

In the Fitbit app, under Account -> Exercise -> Run, it says "GPS will not be turned on" with no option to change it.

Under the device icon -> Exercise Shortcuts -> Run, the only option is setting "Show Cues" to off or auto.

Best Answer

Just chiming in to say I'm facing the exact same issue with my Huawei P20, even after following all these steps. I know the location service works fine, but the Fitbit visibly keeps losing connection to my phone, even when they are within 2 feet of eachother. I just biked 12.5 kilometres and it seems to think I only traveled 440 metres.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still no response from fitbit ... disappointing. Have been trying other things that i googled, like logging out of the app first, clearing cache first, but no use. And if we don't get the screen to turn on GPS, something is clearly wrong, right ? Still hoping for a solution ...

Best Answer

I'm not too optimistic after scrolling through the 10 month old, 100+ page thread of Android users experiencing syncing issues with their devices. https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Android-9-0-Pie-not-able-to-sync/td-p/2889550

Distance tracking is important to me so I'll deal with it by starting the activies from the app for now. I might have to eventually get a Garmin or Samsung which is disappointing considering how great the Inspire is otherwise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn't even mind starting activities on the app, if the device would then show distance/time spent. But is doesn't. I have been tracking activities with an app for years, you don't need a 100 euro device for that ... 

Besides that, syncing the device to the app always works without problems for me, but I still have android 8.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact same issue too and I have tried EVERYTHING. I don't see the option to turn on GPS for a specific exercise in my app either. I am also an android user (Samsung galaxy S9). In the beginning connected GPS did work with the Inspire HR but since like two months it is not working. It stopped working just before the software update for the Inspire. The update did not solve it. I need to have the app open and the screen on for the phone and the Fitbit to be connected. If the screen on the phone goes black the connection is lost. The FB app is allowed to run in the background and I even tried locking it. Didn't help. The Fitbit will occasionally connect to the phone for a few seconds and I will also get a weird straight line in the map which is wrong after my exercise. I normally use this function several times a week so if this doesn't start working soon I might have to change brands.

Best Answer

Turned out I hadn't tried EVERYTHING. Restarting the phone and the Fitbit had not worked but I realized that GPS connection worked as long as the app was open and the phone screen was not black. As soon as the screen went black or the app was only open in the background it stopped working. As soon as the app was open again it worked. The app was updated and it was allowed everything it was supposed to be allowed. I had tried to force shut it down and everything that was recommended. In the end I thought the app might be the problem. I tried uninstalling the app, then restarting the phone and then reinstalling the app. That solved the problem for me and connected GPS works again. I thought I'd share in case it helps someone else.

Best Answer

hi all

the gps dosnt workon mine either im using iphone xr 

gps is set to on on the divice,but when i check setting on fitbit app and looking at walking it says gps will not be switched on 

any idea how i get it to work,and using gps when tracking walking from the fitbit 

if i use track workout from fitbit app it shows map but shows nothing when setting an exersise from the inspire hr

Best Answer
0 Votes

Incredible. For the first time, my device now connects and remains connected to my Pixel 2 XL during an exercise.

I uninstalled the Fitbit app, rebooted my Fitbit, reinstalled the Fitbit app, and this time accepted the prompt to receive notifications on my device. Originally, I never set up notifications - maybe this permission was required to establish a connection to my phone? It's the only thing I did differently.

I've gone on a few hour-long runs and the entire route was accurately mapped. I also started the exercise solely from the Fitbit, my phone remained in my pocket the whole time. I'm still wary of this feature breaking any day but thought I'd share.

Best Answer

This worked ! Uninstalled the app then reinstalled and activated messages to the device. Only tested it once for now, and the app locked up so I had to restart my phone to synchronise properly, but it worked ! I will update here later if it keeps working ...

Best Answer

Exactly the same problem here and was glad to see this solution. Reboot fitbit, reinstalled Fitbit app on my S9 and received notifications for location access on my phone / in the app. Did not see this before.

Update: running the fitbit app in the background and connecting my inspire hr works fine now. The map of our walks is looking much better but not as detailed when you let your phone register a walk in the fitbit app. It would be better if the fitbit takes more gps waypoints to print the route on a map.

Best Answer

So this was definitely the solution, works like a charm now. Remove the app, restart the device, reinstall the app and allow access to everything, also what is needed to receive notifications on the device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i have followed your instructions to the dot, but still my Inspire HR is still not connecting.

I have restarted my phone and inspire HR multiple times. installed and reinstalled the app. Reset up the inspire hr, the device still not connecting to the phone GPS.

I use iPhone 8, i don't stay in the tall build, or big trees vegetation or hill or mountainous area.

At this point i a very disappointed with the devices, because it promised think it can't deliver and i trusted Fitbit.   

Best Answer

Have you given all accesses requested during installation, and allowed notifications from the phone to the device, and activated some of those, e.g. calendar alerts ? That did the trick for me in the end.

Best Answer
0 Votes