Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counts steps while driving

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just upgraded from the Blaze to the Versa for the waterproof/swimming feature and have already noticed that it counts steps while I am driving. My Blaze was really good about not counting steps while I drove. Anyone else have this issue or know a fix for it?

Thanks! 

Best Answer
91 REPLIES 91

The same thing is happening to me, except it shows accurate steps in the group challenges. I webt in to settings and turned off the auto button for sensing activity 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also one thing i notice about the steps. I wore my gear fit2 and fitbit versa at the same time on the same wrist. I woke up with 10 steps on versa and 0 step on gear fit2... Though gear fit2 sometimes doesn't count your steps when your inside the house (dunno why, is it gps based?) While Versa counts even when you just roll from one side to another. I hope Versa will fix this issue... Currently, my Versa counts 1577 (including steps count while driving and etc.), my Gear Fit2 counts 1055... Both started at 0 count and 500 count difference is a lot. Both watch has it's own flaws so Im wondering which one to keep. I hope fitbit solve this issue sooner than later. Accurate results is what we look for in a fitness watch. If I go for style and smart watch thing, I'll go with apple watch or gear watches. But since fitness and health is more important to me more than anything esle, I'll wait til fitbit this issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just drove 400 km and Versa said I took 4,366 steps.  So for every kilometre I'm logging 10.84 steps.  We'll at least I have a benchmark to go by!

Best Answer

Ishrogh, log a manual ‘Driving’ exercise over the time driving to correct.

Tom
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm completely frustrated with this versa. I drive a school bus .I have over 3000 steps this morning and I haven't left my seat . My charge 2 didn't do this. 

Best Answer

One of the reasons for having this is to see calls and text. Can't just take it off. So fruafrusted. I have 3110 steps so far. Probably 300 is accurate. 

Best Answer

Sounds crazy right? My wife bought me a skagen hybrid watch which also counts steps and wore the same time with versa for a day. The discrepancy is almost 1/3 of the versa. 

Another issue I recently found, is when i updated the OS to 2.1... Before i can recieve txt notification now with the new version I can't. Not a big deal for me though but it doesn't change anything except for the firmware number. Thats it. Im giving my fitbit a week and if everything stays the same. I'll just return it. Too bad i like the sleep monitoring and the 24/7 heart rate monitoring.

Best Answer

I to am having the same problems, I just received my versa on Sunday, and has tripled in steps. Look at my watch and it is calculating while I drive, and always every time I hit a bump or go up a hill it is adding stairs..... I like all the new features, however my charge was way more accurate..... IM NOT FEELING IT

Best Answer

How do you create that???

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I'm going do the same thing, they really need to do an update

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thankz however I'm not seeing the drive part

Best Answer
0 Votes

Someone suggest to add "driving" to some sort of exercise mode. But it doesn't automatically detect it when you're driving. So you have to manually go to driving then hit start which i feel like inconvenient. What if i missed hitting the start button? Do i have to pull over or hit the start button while driving which is quit dangerous because you have to swipe here to there to get to that driving mode. It distracts you while driving. So i didnt find it helpful in my case. I really hope versa will take this issue seriously since they are known for fitness and health rather than smart watch e.g. txt, call and other social media notifications.

Best Answer
I placed my versa in its charger, overnight. I keep a fan next to my bed and all I can think is the fan sitting on marble top must have vibrated my versa because i had 12000 steps when i woke up or thats a lot of sleep walking

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I hope they fix the issue soon, it is a very big disappointment, and I
tried looking for that drive mode, can't find It, however I should not have
to
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge HR added steps on drives as well.  The solution I employ is to add a manual activity of type "Driving".  You can add it before or after...I do it after usually.  You can do it either on the website (fitbit.com) or in the app.  On the web site, you go to "Log>Activities" scroll down to "Log Activities" and enter "Driving" in the text box.  When that entry appears, select it.  Enter the start time of the drive you want to cancel steps for and the duration.  You can leave the calories it supplies (remember, driving uses more calories than at rest!).  Hit "Log".  It will take a few minutes but the steps for the period you enter will be removed.  On the app, go to the "Exercise" tile, click on the stopwatch in the top right, select "Log" search or select "Driving", then put in start and duration as above.

Tom
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you I will try that, however I think it's a big inconvenience
Best Answer

It maybe a solution to the issue but I agree it's very inconvenient for me too. I mean gear watches doesn't have this issue (i had gear sport and fit 2) even the not so popular hybrid smartwatch skagen measures the steps accurately. If not because of the 24/7 HR and sleep stage function I could have returned this... I hope fitbit will listen to this issue and hoping they can find the right solution for it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I sure hope the listen toooooo, because we paid our money and we expect it
to work.... smfh I think I will just put back on my charge and turn this
one back in, get my money back
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve not used a Gear but it seems they also have this problem: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearable-Tech/Turn-off-Auto-Activity-Tracking-Gear-S2/td-p/3448

i’m no apologist for Fitbit but if you understand how it works in terms of step counting (sensing motion via the accelerometer) it’s clear that it has limitations and will track movement sometimes inaccurately.   Of course I too hope they can refine the algorithm but I doubt we’ll see that anytime soon.

in any case, I find that only long drives have enough impact to warrant this practice.  Drives of 20 min or less I don’t bother with, of course that’s me 🙂

Tom
Best Answer

How about during sleep? I wore my versa and gear fit2 at the same time as well as skagen hybrid watch on a different occasion. Only versa count steps while im asleep. How come versa does this whilst others dont? Like what others said, they didn't have this issue with other fitbit watches. How come it happens with versa? 

P.s. btw, my phone updated to android 8.0 now i cant sync my versa. Lol tried restarting, tried again from scratch and still on connecting mode for the past 2 hours. Lol 

Best Answer
0 Votes