Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification service not running

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello. I have Fitbit Versa, firmware version 32.32.10.15, mobile phone Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus and notifications are not running on my tracker. My phone reports an error: "Notification service not running. A phone restart is required to re-enable notification on your tracker".

I restarted bluetooth on my phone and also Fitbit app, also reinstall Fitbit app and it still doesnt work. Please, can you help me?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I am not sure about iPhone because I use Android. I will tell you how to fix notification service not running on Android (for fitbit versa lite). It's just one step.

Just go to Apps in settings in Android.

Find fitbit there and click it.

And click clear data/storage for fitbit app.

Done.

Now you have to login to your fitbit app again and your notification service will be running.

of course, your previously saved auto replies will be deleted. but there is no option.

But notification services will work definitely. 

You have to do it every time the notification service is not running. It happens nearly once in one week for me.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
183 REPLIES 183

Have you restarted your phone @petrabarotova, this is how I fix this error.

The instructions specifically say to restart the phone, not the Bluetooth. 

Best Answer

Of course, I restarted the phone and it did not help! 

Best Answer

Hello @petrabarotova,

I have not the same but a similar issue with my Versa (poor bluetooth connectivity) and while looking for possible solutions, I found this thread:  https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Versa-not-receiving-notifications/m-p/2919769#M43521

I hope it works out for you - although to be honest, at this point I am not completely convinced that Redmi Note 5 is a supported device (for the Versa or any Fitbit device).

Best of luck.

Renata

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit really can’t be serious with the advice to restart your phone to restore notifications. I didn’t get the notification on my Versa when the message occurred, but on my Pebble Time 2 sitting on the desk beside my Versa. And it’s a problem with my phone? Fitbit really need to up their game with this serious deficiency. Maybe ask the Pebble guys they inherited? Sheesh...

Best Answer

I'm not sure how pebble notifications work.

Fitbit writes there own drivers, this is why some android phones need a custom Fitbit driver.

Since the driver gets embedded until the phone, yes they are serious that a restart may be needed to get the service running. 

This is also why sometimes a computer needs to be restarted to get the printer to function.

Best Answer

I’m a retired IT technical manager and one time programmer, so I fully understand what needs to be done - rebooting a device because of a deficiency in code is unacceptable. And particularly when Fitbit bought out the IPR of Pebble and inherited some of their programmers. They really need to up their game. Saying you need to restart a device to restore a function that another app on that device happily delivers is preposterous.

Best Answer

Hi,

I face the same problem too with Redmi Note 5 pro and fitbit versa. I tried restarting the phone, Uninstalled and installed fitbit app again, provided all permissions but still it says notification service is not running. Please help. Bought this watch for smart notifications, but it is not working. 

Best Answer
Hi. 
It still does not work. I'll be glad for every help. A few months ago it worked fine.
Best Answer

@rekhadhinagaran

@petrabarotova please see my post here.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer

@rekhadhinagaran have you tried tapping on the message telling you that notification services is not running,?

Fitbit usually will step you through the process of getting the service started.

Best Answer

I found a way to resolve the issue.

I got same issue on my OnePlus 5T with Fitbit versa lite.

Here are the steps:

1. Go to Apps in settings.

2. Find fitbit app in the list and click it.

3. Tap on clear data/storage for fitbit app.

4. Login to fitbit app again.

Done.

Now notifications service must be working.

This trick worked for me.

Best Answer

That seems like an awful k lot of work @rajesh26. Normally I tap on the message, I'm also on android, and the app steps me through the process of getting the service running. If this fails I'll log out and log in. This forces the app to step the user through the setup process for the additional featuresike notification. 

In fact any log out/in, even when notification has been working, will force me to accept permission to access and send notifications. 

Best Answer

Same thing is happening to me! I have two phones: iPhone 8 and Neffos X1 Max - When I first got my Fitbit versa lite (don't remember which phone it was connected to then) it let me reply to messages from my versa. When I tried to change the clock face the versa stopped because the clock face was removed and would not download but when I tried to download a new clock face it said I had to wait for the cancelled one to load, obviously this wasn't going to work so I restarted everything. I'm pretty sure my phone was connected to the Android first but now it's connected to my iPhone and I do get the messages, I just can't reply to them. When I go to the Fitbit settings on my iPhone it won't let me press on Quick Replies and under it it says Fitbit so I can't change anything about that. So I tried to on my Android phone and it says the same thing yours does- notification service not running etc. I restarted my phone and powered it off as it says and reconnected my Bluetooth but the message won't go away. (Btw I can go on quick replies on the Android phone but when I tried sending a text to my new phone it still won't let me reply to my messages) I've been trying everything and searched a lot of tutorials but no one seems to have the problem where on their iPhone it literally won't let them get into the quick replies. I do get notifications but only get the option to clear them. This is really annoying as it was really helpful at first. Please help if you're phone was fixed can you tell me what you did?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I am not sure about iPhone because I use Android. I will tell you how to fix notification service not running on Android (for fitbit versa lite). It's just one step.

Just go to Apps in settings in Android.

Find fitbit there and click it.

And click clear data/storage for fitbit app.

Done.

Now you have to login to your fitbit app again and your notification service will be running.

of course, your previously saved auto replies will be deleted. but there is no option.

But notification services will work definitely. 

You have to do it every time the notification service is not running. It happens nearly once in one week for me.

Best Answer

When it comes to App issues, unrelated to the tracker, it is best to first search the board for your phone looking go a solved thread. If a thread of such can not be found then the user should post in the appropriate forum for the phone type not the tracker model. 

I do see this solved thread that may be worth checking out. 

Notifications not working

@Marieya if your tracker is connected to an iOS device then, yes, you will not be able to respond. This is a limitation that Apple has put in the system and out of Fitbits control. 

Best Answer

This worked for me too. Thank you

Best Answer

Thank you. This fixed my issue. 

Best Answer

Cool, it works to me as well.

Thank you very much.

***Quote***

Here are the steps:

1. Go to Apps in settings.

2. Find fitbit app in the list and click it.

3. Tap on clear data/storage for fitbit app.

4. Login to fitbit app again.

***End quote***

Best Answer

I had the same issue for a week or so. I believe it started after updating android, maybe after the app automatically updated. Restarting my Ionic and Phone didn't solve it anymore. Even reinstalling the app and the Ionic itself. 

This worked for me. Yeah, it's a lot of trouble, but it worth it. 

Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes