Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa Smartwatches - Fitbit OS 4.2.1 Firmware Update (72.1.9)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 1/20/2021: We've updated to 100%

We started releasing Fitbit OS 4.2.1 to Versa, Versa Lite, and Versa 2 customers. This is a progressive rollout which means everyone will receive it at different stages. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

*Firmware releases aren't distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED 

Read our help article for the latest updates. 

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Find step-by-step instructions for updating Versa smartwatch here

If you run into any trouble updating your Fitbit device, review these troubleshooting tips. If you have issues after completing the update, try restarting the watch. 

VERSA LITE users - If you have trouble updating the firmware:

Follow the steps in this help article where we outline troubleshooting steps just for Versa Lite. 

We appreciate your patience while we work to roll this out to everyone. 

Best Answer
518 REPLIES 518

I have the banner in the app for the firmware update. My device is fully charged. When I click the update in the app, it just spins and spins and spins, and never begins the update. My device is still syncing with my phone, but the firmware update won't begin. I have restarted my Versa and reset it, which does not help either. Certain items are now missing from my (android) app, such as my heart rate information. 

Best Answer

Unfortunately the help article referenced only provides details about what's changed in 4.2 which was the previous update.  There is no information specific to 4.2.1 as far as I can see.  I'm assuming it's mostly bug fixes rather than new functionality?  Given the apparent risks associated with any Versa firmware update I think I'm going to hold off until there is more information available.  4.2 killed off loads of Versa devices and given mine is well over 2 years old I'd like to keep it going as long as I can.  

Best Answer

Well I woke up today and my Versa 2 is working normal! Yeah!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone!

Please note this new OS Firmware Update is a progressive rollout. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

Note that you will know you are on the new firmware once a banner appears in your app, we would appreciate your patience while you are notified about this new update.

If you are experiencing a different issue, please be advice to find a similar thread or post in a new thread, we want to keep this on topic. Which means anything related to non-firmware inquiries won't be addressed here. To make sure your inquiry is firmware update related, you can verify that you're already in the latest version by tapping the Today tab > your profile picture > your device image. The firmware version number appears under your device's name. Versa should say 32.72.1.9, Versa 2 35.72.1.9, and Versa Lite 38.72.1.9.

If you have issues after completing the update, try restarting the watch. 

If you have any additional questions about your Fitbit device or services, visit help.fitbit.com.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Tried all that, still having issues with inaccurate heart rate, exercise tracking, and zone minutes. 

Best Answer

I see we now have some rather brief information - it includes bug fixes and "improvements".  And something that tells you when your warranty started - in my case somewhat irrelevant.  The app is inviting me to do the update, I think I'll pass until I hear there's something useful in it.

Best Answer

Im having this same issue too since the update! Driving me mad. Literally mid workout, sweating buckets, heart pounding and HR on fitbit tells me 79-80 pretty much constantly. Rebooted multiple times, made no difference 

Best Answer

None of this helps the HR issue. So when will fitbit roll out an update to exterminate the new bugs they just unleashed to take care of the old bugs....

Best Answer

Mine is currently charging and showing BPM of 112 🤦🏼‍:female_sign: So frustrating!

Best Answer

4.2.1 contains only one new thing which is activation date of your versa other than that no bug fixes or no new features...no much requested Google assistant update and spo2 background app like versa3 even though hardware is same... Feeling really annoyed seeing the level of support for versa 2 which  launched less than a year back ... irrespective of how many times people post and vote about new feature requests Fitbit isnt interested in listening...once my Versa 2 reaches EOD m gonna move away from this S H I T T Y brand!...

Abandoning watches launched less than a year with zero feature updates shows the level of commitment Fitbit has for its products...apple watch series 3 launched way back in 2017 still getting lotta support where as here they want you to upgrade every year...

Best Answer

I am having the same issue.  Very frustrating 

Best Answer

I’ve had the same issue. 

Best Answer

Same issue. HR monitor has lost the plot since update. Hope fitbit are going to address this. 

Best Answer

Same problem here...

Plus: My oxygen levels at night go up and down wildly while this has never been a problem in the last 3 years... Anyone else got that problem?

Best Answer

I'm having the same inaccurate heart rate readings as everyone else. In my workouts no matter how hard my heart is pumping my versa 2 keeps on underreporting my heart rate. Only when I wake the watch would it accurately read my heart rate. I'm also having the same weird fluctuations in oxygen level readings in my sleep logs ever since the update.

Restarting the watch nor factory reseting it does not fix the problem. Seems like the developers changed how the watch reads from its sensors when the watch's screen is off or is on always-on-display therefore causing this problem. Hope a fix is on the way asap.

Best Answer

I updated last week, since then my heart rate is only being intermittently recorded - big gaps on the charts or has shown it higher than i think is realistic  - no way to check it.  I also think the battery life has gone to pieces. Its emptied itself in half a day whereas before the update it had a good 2-3 days depending on level of activity.   Twice this week its also frozen, recording no sleep or steps until i have reset it completely.  After years of reliable service and this being my third device, I'm seriously unimpressed - its not good enough to release such a poorly tested update.  I'm so disappointed. 

Best Answer

by way of an update, restarted today at around 10 because it had frozen, recording no steps, battery life at 75%, been on the phone so minimal steps - 475recorded to 12 noon and battery life down to 57%.  what is going on?

Best Answer

After factory resetting my device, it still didn't work, then I also rebooted my phone. I was then able to do the firmware update. No issues with the update and everything on my app is back to normal.

Best Answer

I updated my firmware this morning and after it finished, the screen on my Versa 2 is black. I've restarted it several times, and when I do, the blue Fitbit logo shows up, but then the screen goes back to black. It is still logging my steps and vibrates to tell me to do my hourly step count.

-----------------------------

Sorry, I have a Versa 1 and its now on Firmware 32.72.1.9

Best Answer

I have never had a problem with my Versa But ever since this update it will randomly die. 2-4 times a day. I’m about fed up with it. I will be switching to Apple Watch. 

Best Answer