Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa Smartwatches - Fitbit OS 4.2.1 Firmware Update (72.1.9)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 1/20/2021: We've updated to 100%

We started releasing Fitbit OS 4.2.1 to Versa, Versa Lite, and Versa 2 customers. This is a progressive rollout which means everyone will receive it at different stages. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

*Firmware releases aren't distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED 

Read our help article for the latest updates. 

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Find step-by-step instructions for updating Versa smartwatch here

If you run into any trouble updating your Fitbit device, review these troubleshooting tips. If you have issues after completing the update, try restarting the watch. 

VERSA LITE users - If you have trouble updating the firmware:

Follow the steps in this help article where we outline troubleshooting steps just for Versa Lite. 

We appreciate your patience while we work to roll this out to everyone. 

Best Answer
518 REPLIES 518

My versa 2 was amazing. since these last 2 updates. Hr doesnt work properly. Can do cardio and it says resting. Like you said have noticed after about half hour into my workout the heart rate reading starts to be a bit better. My £20 EA sport active heart monitor is more accurate.

I had my conspiracy head on and wondered whether they messed the watches up on purpose to get people to upgrade. 

Best Answer

Thanks for the information.  I did an update of this latest firmware a couple of nights ago on my Versa 2 when I got the Fitbit app notification to update.  I have one problem since the update and it's the heart rate monitor is no longer accurate at increased bpm.  It seems fine when I'm resting.  The issue is when I go to the gym and do aerobic exercise, particularly the elliptical.  I know that the elliptical at my gym has an accurate heart rate monitor.  Before the update my heart rate would go up to 135 bpm both on my fitbit versa 2 and on the elliptical heart rate monitor.  Now my fitbit stops at 110 bpm for the first 20 minutes and then goes to 120 bpm for the last 10 minutes.  Yes, I did do all the typical resets like reboot the versa 2 watch (using side button).  I turned off and then on the heart rate monitor in settings. I also rebooted my cellphone and reloaded the fitbit application on my cell phone.  I'm wearing the watch according to your instructions (not too tight or loose).  The issue seems to be that the firmware has made the heart rate monitor much slower to recognize increases in heart rate.  It will be interesting to see if you get several comments on this.  Hopefully this issue if many report it can be resolved.  Thanks.

Best Answer

As numerous other people on this forum, my Fitbit is useless after the recent update. My heart rate isn’t registering correctly during workouts. A HIIT session today peaked at 80 bpm. I’ve turned the watch on and off. Logged out and back in to the app.Uninstalled and reinstalled the app and finally performed a factory reset. Nothing has worked. I’ve also contacted support via the chat. They tried to tell me I wasn’t wearing the watch correctly, then provided me with guidance on how the heart rate is calculated. None of this is helpful, Fitbit was working fine until I updated it. I haven’t changed anything except the update. Says to me the update is faulty. Please can someone at Fitbit acknowledge the issue and let us know when it will be fixed. 

Best Answer

My heart rate monitor mysteriously stopped working before the update.  I went for a 47 minute brisk walk then got no active minutes and no active zone minutes.   Decided to do the download as these were not working anyway. Then I downloaded the update and still no heart rate.

I did find in settings on the watch that also mysteriously the heart rate setting was turned to off.   Tapped to turn back on and now I have heart rate again.

Unfortunately since it was off, I'm thinking my active minutes will remain lost.    Will try another quick walk and see if it records any minutes.

Also for the first time my sleep did not record last night.   Hope that comes back too.   I'm thinking these mysterious and very frustrating hurdles are new Google take over related.   

My Versa 2 is one year and 25 days old.   Warranty is one year.  I have take very good care of the device with no abuse to it whatsoever.  I will not be tricked into buying a new Fitbit device if these mysteries continue.  

Best Answer

I am having the same issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too. It won't connect. I've tried all the online troubleshooting and nope, no joy.

Having said that, it seems the update itself has massive issues so I might just go and get a smartwatch from a company that doesn't appear to be sabotaging itself XD

Best Answer

Central support solution has been to offer a discount against a new fitbit.  I am very sad with this whole issue, why would they release an update which has caused so many problems.  In my case, the update caused a working watch to go faulty.   And then say I have to buy a new unit is terrible.              

I wouldn't buy a product for £200 expecting it to last for 2 years.                                                                                                                                            I'm very disappointed, this problem was not my fault and my watch was in perfect order before this issue.  

Best Answer

Switching to Apple also

Best Answer

And when it comes to HR accuracy, there is little point in getting the versa 3 or sense anyway because  most of the reviews (dcrainmaker, desfit etc) for those 2 devices say HR accuracy during exercise is really poor! Before the update I used to get acceptable HR readings with the versa2 but now it's hopeless. 

Best Answer

Did you still keep your data in the app after the reset? What problems made you do the factory reset?

Best Answer

Same here! Did you resolve the issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add me to the list of people who did the update and now heart rate is not accurate at all.

workouts I have been doing for months with records in the 130-160 bpm (effort level matches this) now not exceeding 90 bpm. Please fix this soon.

Best Answer
Same here!!! Was told to factory reset and still nothing!!! Worthless.
Going to Apple
Best Answer

Yes, the versa 2 still had my daily data, but don't know how long it will keep it.  Still no bluetooth or anyway to transfer the data as it's not connected to my fitbit account.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Same here!!! Was told to factory reset and still nothing!!! Worthless.
Going to Apple
Best Answer

Mine is saying the same thing

Best Answer
0 Votes

After this firmware update, Alexa no longer works on my Versa 2. When I press and hold the button, I receive the following message from my device:

Change Shortcut

Sorry, Alexa isn't supported in your location. Choose a new shortcut.

Alexa configuration is also no longer available in the Fitbit app on Android.

Please advise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issues re HR also. Fitbit support have been good, did the usual suggestions, restart, disconnect from the app etc but to no avail. In the end Fitbit have sent me a replacement versa 2 but I’m worried the same issues will continue. Sincerely hope these issues are rectified soon, love my Fitbit. 

Best Answer

Still haven't addressed the inaccurate HR tracking since this update. Many of us rely on our fitbit to maintain our health and meet our fitness goals. Now all I have is a glorified pedometer. Also of note, which I think someone mentioned before, only the green light monitor on my Versa 2 flashes now even during intense workouts. Shame shame shame 

Best Answer

I noticed that as well but just assumed that the sensor needed to be cleaned. I haven't had a workout since, so I'm not sure if that did the trick.

Best Answer
0 Votes