Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa not tracking distance correctly

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi

Was so excited to get my Versa but at the moment somewhat a little disappointing 

I connected to GPS and went to do park run. Sadly once I finished it said I only did just over 3 ks when in fact I know for sure it was definitely 5, this then put my pace reading and time traveled out as well. Has this just become the worst purchase or is there some fix for this. I’ve adjusted stride and I know for a fact everything else was working perfectly 

Any help would be appreciated 

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi so basically my Fitbit versa 2 has been working perfectly fine for several weeks, all of a sudden 3 days ago I’m running which are basically 5 to 10k runs and it’s telling me I’m only running Half a k. The gage is way off I’ve tried to reset the device and the gps on the app could you please tell me how to fix this thanks.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
106 REPLIES 106

So far I think it’s the wrong purchased ..I think am going back to my Fitbit Alta ..The step counts and actvate minutes are off hasn’t really paid any attention to the distance or the heart rate yet but am sure that it has to be off to Fitbit better release a os update to fix this problem within 20 days cause we have 45 days to return it ...What a disappointment... I hope Fitbit (company) are reading all theses complaints and will fix all theses problems

Moderator Edit: Format.

Best Answer

So can I just return it to where I got it from for a full refund?  Because that’s the direction I’m leaning towards. 

Best Answer

Depends on where you purchased the watch and there return policy ,but I purchased minds from Fitbit.com so I believe I have 45 days to return it if am not happy with it ...I really hope they release an os update very soon to fit theses problems.. who wants a fitness watch that doesn’t work correctly 

Best Answer

You don't say where you got it from, but regardless from where you got it, Fitbit should offer you a replacement after they of course troubleshoot with you on the phone.  🙂

If you don't want to go that route, pack it up and take it back to where you purchased with the receipt.

Personally, I never buy anything before checking out the return policy.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I purchased it on Fitbit.com
Best Answer

Might be a bug which I reported previously that connected GPS is not working well with Android Oreo.

Best Answer

Fingers Crossed it’s a bug but I messaged them about it and they came back with Stride blah blah and maybe I should reset it. Distance is distance the steps matched my Garmin 5k steps. I ran another 5k on a treadmill this afternoon Treadmill said 5ks Fitbit said 3.5 🙄. It started out matching k for k then after 2 ks it just lost the plot. Really hoping something fixes it, I really like all the other aspects of this watch 

Best Answer

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

For some of you that are still having trouble with the Versa not tracking distance accurately, Fitbit devices calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. The Versa estimates your stride lengths using your height and gender and when tracking one or more runs using on-board or connected GPS, it evaluates that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If you prefer to measure your walking and running stride lengths yourself and enter them manually, see How do I measure and adjust my stride length?

Note that when you're tracking an activity with GPS, Fitbit calculates your distance using GPS data rather than steps. If you begin moving before you get a GPS signal, the tracker will calculate distance using steps and stride length as described above until a GPS signal is found. If this is the case, I would like to suggest you to go to your phone Settings > Fitbit and make sure Location is set to Always or While using the app, then restart your phone and open the Fitbit app again. 

Make sure to start the exercise outside to prevent buildings or tress to interfere with the GPS signal and turn off WiFi, this will prevent your phone from trying to locate a WiFi signal to connect, if your phone is constantly trying to connect to a WiFi signal, this might impact on the GPS signal and resulting map after the exercise has been completed.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

The only thing I haven’t tried is turning off my phones wifi. I’ll try this before I decided to return it. Wish me luck

Best Answer

Hello @Paula77, thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you will try the troubleshooting steps recommended, please let me know the outcome and if there's anything else I can do for you, please don't hesitate to reply. 

Happy stepping! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find it also very annoying that it is no calculating my steps that accurately. I also found that when i wash washing, the dishes, my face in the morning and even lying in bed moving my arm that the steps count were increasing all while not even walking. Is there something I can check to stop that. I even had the samsung gear 2 and I could see the steps increasing and counting when I could look at the watch . If I hold my hand up and look at the watch while walking I can't see the steps counting. I also found that driving in this morning while moving my hand around that the steps increased again. I will try it out for a few more days and if continues or there is no fix I will return the product.

Best Answer

Hello @Eddyb1, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the forums and I understand your position when it comes to the watch counting steps when you're not necessarily walking. Please note that Fitbit devices have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.  When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, a device on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. Many of these situations—such as working or cooking—do include a few steps in-between stationary periods so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. For the vast majority of customers, the amount of stray steps accumulated is negligible when compared to the entire day.

Additionally, please remember that it's important to specify whether you wear the device on your dominant or non-dominant wrist:

• The dominant wrist setting decreases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any over counting of steps when your body is not moving.
  • The non-dominant wrist setting increases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any under counting of steps. Non-dominant is the default.

Device location helps orient the screen correctly in addition to adjusting the sensitivity of step detection. To change your settings, in the Fitbit app go to Account tab and choose your device at the top of the screen.

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found turning of the wifi did help the GPS Connect tracking while running out doors 

But sadly it’s still completely off when running on a treadmill. I did 5ks Versa still says around 3.5

Best Answer

My stride has not changed.  I had the charge and it was accurate bought the versa and it is way off!  Under  by 5k steps.  Worn on same arm.  I may return and purchase a Garmin.  

Best Answer

I Tried my connected GPS for the first time today. I only went for a short jog — when I map it, the distance is .68 miles. My versa tracked it at .51 which created a huge difference in average pace and other stats. Also, the map did not appear in my exercise details on the app. 

Best Answer

Heads up!! I just called about the Versa and return policy. Buyer beware that fitbit counts from the day you ordered it not received it. I pre-ordered it and did not receive it for a week and a half later. They, after I asked for a supervisor were going to count the return date from when it shipped which was still a week before I received it. I requested a full refund and got a mailer to return the item. They did oblige that request and I mailed it back on May 3rd and they received it May 7th. I called today to follow up on the refund, as I had yet to receive it. They told me that it needed to be reviewed and would take 7 to 10 business days for the refund to be issued. I questioned them and stated that it had already been 7 business days since their receipt of the tracker. I did today get issued a refund but I had to call and follow up to get it. I really loved the look of the Versa and bought it as a Mother's Day gift for myself. Sadly, it did not track properly. If they fix the tracking issues I would love this tracker. However, with their return policy and how unfairly they track the warranty , I was fearful of trying to troubleshoot the problems and then being told I could not send it back.

Best Answer

I had a lot of issues at first, and my route would jump around and have me cutting through yards and such! The distance would be way off and it was frustrating! I found that I have to walk away from my house till the WiFi icon dissapears. I wait for my versa to say connected then I start my run. It has been working perfectly ever since I figured this little trick out. Hope this works for you! 

Best Answer

It wasn't only outside that I was having a problem. It was also on treadmill, exercise classes etc.I am not tech savvy and would prefer to get one that is good right out of the box. Will be in search for one that does that. I had the fitbit one which they no longer make. That one didn't do much but was great for what I wanted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been using my versa to track cycles the past 2 days. To and from work using my phone's GPS. The first 2 cycles to and from work yesterday where accurate distance but this morning it says 0.16 km compared to the 5.24km for the same route the previous morning. The maps shows the correct route I completed. Any thoughts on this issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes