Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa not tracking distance correctly

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi

Was so excited to get my Versa but at the moment somewhat a little disappointing 

I connected to GPS and went to do park run. Sadly once I finished it said I only did just over 3 ks when in fact I know for sure it was definitely 5, this then put my pace reading and time traveled out as well. Has this just become the worst purchase or is there some fix for this. I’ve adjusted stride and I know for a fact everything else was working perfectly 

Any help would be appreciated 

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
106 REPLIES 106

I am having this same issue and I thought it was because my stride length customizations were reset to default upon getting a new device. This is frustrating as well since it took time to configure them. However, after reading through this thread, I now know it is an underlying issue with the Versa. 

I did notice that there is a setting under Device Settings to turn off the GPS functionality. I am thinking this could be causing issues. My GPS is usually off on my phone to save battery and I do a lot of my walking inside, and in most cases, I am not near my phone. I turned it off, and I will update if I see any improvements.

Anyone else tried this?

I really like the updated design and feel of the Versa, but if this issue persists, I will be returning it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Firstly apologies for the LONG post but I am now at the point of dumping Fitbit for good.  

I have a similar issue and have done since the time of purchase of my Versa in July, but only discovered it in September due to an exceedingly high reading. 

My Versa records too many miles, in fact in most instances it’s doubling miles for steps. My walk to the station is 1.3 miles and when it feels like it it the versa records upwards of 3 miles.  I will be clear here these walks are not undertaken using GPS via the set exercise function, these are auto recognised walks.

I have been in touch with Fitbit support since September and to be honest they have been useless, they spurt out the same old cr*p ie “restart, reset to factory settings, change stride, increase stride, decrease stride, we’ll send you a replacement, we’ll send you another replacement” the best ones I find are when the suggested solution has nothing to do with the actual issue! Whatever I try nothing works !!!!

This morning I emailed Fitbit again with an update for this weekend through to this morning after a more than useless suggestion on Friday. This is shown below: 

“FOR THE ATTENTION OF A SENIOR SUPERVISOR ONLY

Dear Esteban

Thanks for coming back to me. But I think we are wasting our time here and it may be time to say good bye to FitBit.  

On Saturday afternoon I did a walk with the FitBit in my pocket. It recorded the miles and steps,  it then resynced and deleted the walk and recorded 135 steps!!!! This walk is under exercise time stamped at 16.45. 

On Sunday after another high mileage recording I changed my stride to automated. 

This morning’s walk at 06.33 of 2516 steps has been record as 2.46 miles.  

My walk to the station this morning of 0.2 miles has been recorded as 0.55 miles. 

This isn’t right and you have not provided a solution of what the problem is.  Your website says miles are worked out by stride x steps, if this is the case we would not end up for a 2.46 mile walk with 2516 steps. 

There is no point in using a FitBit or the App if the data cannot be relied upon. 

You have kindly sent a replacement Versa this had no impact on the issue, this leads me to think my profile is not working properly or the App isn’t. 

If you are unable to resolve then I will take my custom elsewhere as I am really finding it difficult to keep my patience on this as it has been going on for 6 weeks or more.“

If the miles are incorrect, what does this say about the other data recorded such as calorie burn or your heart rhythm. How can anything be trusted as being correct!

I’d be interested to hear if any of you are still having the same issues. 
Best Answer
I got rid of mine
Waste of time

Sent using the free mail.com iPhone App
Best Answer

@Paula77 what did you get instead?

Best Answer
Garmin music
No problem since
Extremely accurate

Best Answer

Fitbit Versa is useless for music. That is one of the first things they told me when I wrote to the company about all the issues.

Its not compatible with any app.

I’m thinking at this point the Veraa is a complete failure. If I had just returned it to the store when I first found the problems instead of letting the Fitbit people convince me it would work better, I wouldn’t be out $200 on a very tight budget.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I've noticed it on a couple other runs that my distance wasn't trapped correctly. So I just finished a half marathon in Tulsa Route 66 and my Fitbit says I did on about 9 miles for half marathon. Is there a way to fix this or should I return it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same issue. I walk on my treadmill, which has me at 2.5 mile distance but my Versa has it as barely over 1 mile. It’s not tracking my sleep properly either. I’ve followed what they recommended on the help page, but it’s not corrected it. I’m ready to go back to a pedometer

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my Versa for Christmas. All my runs are coming in under in distance which is impacting my pace readings too. I read through several community posts with similar issues. Did anyone figure out how to calibrate Versa?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good Luck
It was the worst watch I ever had
I returned my 4 months after trying endlessly to make it work

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got mine in the summer and had a problem after a software update. It tracks distance ok unless you use the exercise feature! Otherwise underestimates grossly. I contacted customer service who said they were working on it  but not heard anything recently. Wondering if the recent software upgrade that fixed the mile/°C problem might have sorted it

Best Answer
0 Votes

I thought maybe I was overestimating my trail runs, so today I took it to the gym and ran 10 laps (1 mile). My Versa charted it as 0.67. That is insane!!!! I returned it shortly thereafter. Complete disappointment. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. Same here. I’ll be returning mine too.
--
~Lauren
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having this problem I just ran over 5 miles and it calculated 3  I have my stride set to calculate automatically I never had this problem with the fit bit one. And their solution is for me to go outside and 20゚ temperature and find a track and calculate a mile and run 20 steps I don't know how that makes any sense at all I didn't have to do that with the fit bit one and it worked perfectly.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It is undercalculating my steps & my sleep. I can get 9 hours sleep but it
says 1hr30min total sleep! I asked for help & they referred me to the help
section where it blames sleeping on it the wrong way & a variety of
excuses. I’m taking it back. Total waste of money
--
~Lauren
Best Answer
0 Votes
I got a refund for mine. 
Best Answer
0 Votes

So did turning off GPS fix the issue for you?  I just turned off GPS via the online settings (previously had no idea you could do this) and also just updated the Versa firmware last night.  So when I run today I am hopeful distance will track correctly.  Outcomes TBD.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve tried resetting various ways, following directions of Customer Service but nothing’s helped. I just walked on a track and it was off by about a half mile.
My phone tells me it’s linked to my Versa on my Bluetooth but of course, still no control of music

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@pragma777 wrote:

So did turning off GPS fix the issue for you?  I just turned off GPS via the online settings (previously had no idea you could do this) and also just updated the Versa firmware last night.  So when I run today I am hopeful distance will track correctly.  Outcomes TBD.

So after I turned off GPS (done on the fitbit website) and I updated to the latest firmware (just recently released) my Versa appears to now be tracking distance correctly.  Prior it would show like 1.2 miles when I knew I had done at least 5 miles.  Also it now appears to update step count and distance faster on the Versa screen.  Also, I use bluetooth headphones with my Versa (I don't want to carry a phone when running) and I noticed that the bluetooth connection now seems more solid/steady whereas before the music would play choppy...no more apparent chop.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im taking mine back today. Im going to spend my money to repair my Apple watch. Versa was off almost 2 miles today 😔

Best Answer
0 Votes