Access to full music functions during workout tracking

I was disappointed to find that when I track exercise I cannot switch between playlists and choose specific songs as I can in the music app. The only functions currently available are fast forward, volume and device output (when you hold down the button) which are basic functions already on my wireless headphones. I have different playlists for different parts of my workout which I switch between during my workout. I also like to scroll through songs to choose the one I want. This is available in the music app on the ionic but not during workouts. Please can you look at making this available as it is a real drawback on the ionic. Love my ionic and not having to take my phone with me into the gym but frustrated with the lack of functionality during workouts. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

108 Comments
JonathanBloom
Base Runner

I would love to access apps, like the Starbucks app, or the weather app, while in workout mode. I have to stop my workout right now to pay at a Starbucks.

Rauser
Runner

During execise it seems not to be possible to change the playlist. This should be changed.

gigglebyte66
First Steps

I just change the songs by pressing a button on my headphones

trekkerdean
Recovery Runner

In agreement, I dont want to be restricted to a single playlist when exercising.  Yes, I could stick to a single playlist and use a headset to move between songs but the device shouldn't restrict users on how they want to use it especially when there other devices on the market that offer that freedom. On another note my current bluetooth headset only has the ability to change tracks and not the volume.  

Also, if I am running,  I find it far easier to look at the watch then to start to faff about with pressing buttons on my headset.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Like the Blaze and the Surge, hold in the top right button to bring up music control.

This also is a duplicate of a current suggestion.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Duplicate

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Duplicate

ElsHogan
Base Runner

Existing feature
Like the Blaze and the Surge, hold in the top right button to bring up music control from any dcreen.

Sadly this does not bring ip full music video from including play lists at the moment

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks @ElsHogan, that's a great suggestion. Watch this space for future updates!

kcarm
Recovery Runner

I've had it happen recently that while working out, my Bluetooth has dropped out causing me to have to go to settings to 'relink' and start my playlist over.

There doesn't seem to be a way to 'exit' the Exercise tracker portion of the watch app to control the music. It would be great if that could run in the background while you toggle back & forth to the music or settings.

Been a FitBit wearer for some time now and love the Ionic otherwise! Really glad I upgraded.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Rauser to access pay from any screen, including your workout, as your user manual states simply hold in the left button.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Hold in the top button to access music. Tap the three dots then tap source - phone. This should get music controls connected to your phone.

kcarm
Recovery Runner

I appreciate your comment, but I believe you misunderstood the problem. I don't want to control the music from my phone -- I was suggesting that after you enter the 'record workout' mode, you should still be able to access other screens, like "settings" in particular.

To run through my scenario again:

-I connect my bluetooth headphones to Ionic watch successfully.

-Start playing my music successfully.

-Start recording my workout successfully.

About 20 minutes pass...

-My bluetooth headphones disconnect for no known reason so I need to go back and 'reconnect' them in settings.

-"Exit" my workout (**This is where I was hoping you could 'pause' the workout and exit to go to the 'settings' screen but I do not see any way to do that unless I'm just missing it. You seem forced to "End" the workout**)

-I then reconnect my bluetooth headphones in settings.

-Restart music

-Restart recording workout

Hope that clarifies.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

As long as the phone or any other device doesn't have th headphones as a trusted device is around, my suggestion would be to restarr the headphones. This should reconnect 

MarshaWilcox
Jogger

I too, would like to be able to start music, change song/playlist, or switch to Pandora during exercise.  Currently, I have to stop the exercise on the Iconic, turn on or change the music, and then begin a new exercise track.  I'd like to be able to choose the song with the beat I want for each exercise without stopping.

I'm hoping this will be a priority for the engineers.

Saucepan82
Jogger

yes, this seems like an obvious feature that is just suppose to "be there". I really dont understand how this was omitted. Please correct this issue ASAP. 

Seperith
First Steps

This is an obvious must have feature. This is terrible QA work. It should have been noted and set as a show stopper for the IONIC. This is insane that we can't change the music list or directly load music outside of a playlist. Also there are a number of other features that should be must haves that are missing. The directions are very poorly written and there are very few video tutorials on how to use all the features. I don't know how the average person is able to navigate this headache. Not easy to use..

gigglebyte66
First Steps
I don’t have any troubles using my Ionic and I love it! I just wish music
was easier and changeable, plus, should be able to toggle between music and
workout 😞
Also still hoping they team together with Charity Miles!
Osmar
Runner

I have Just discovered that if i start the exercise first, i can't start the music after.

So, i must always start the music first, before the exercise.

Fix that, fitbit!

GregCohen
Jogger

I have my music in folders (downloaded from iTunes).  While exercising, I'd love to be able to leave the specific exercise screen to go back into music if I want to change albums/folders.  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This feature has been requested several times @GregCohen, unfortunately it has been an existing feature for both the ionic and the Blaze since their release. 

As explained in the user manual, simply holding in the top right button will open music control from any screen. 

mcclainryan33
First Steps

@Rich_Laue I can't find in the ionic manual where it addresses changing folder/albums/playlists/pandora stations while tracking an exercise. If I'm missing something please let me know. 

GregCohen
Jogger
You can access the folder your in while exercising but you can’t change folders it seems and access a different playlist that’s so frustrating
GregCohen
Jogger

It seems like I can access the current music folder I am in while exercising but cannot access other playlists and/or folders which is frustrating 

mr_manager
Runner

A lot of folks don't seem to understand. Long pressing the top right does not let you change playlists.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.