Access to full music functions during workout tracking

I was disappointed to find that when I track exercise I cannot switch between playlists and choose specific songs as I can in the music app. The only functions currently available are fast forward, volume and device output (when you hold down the button) which are basic functions already on my wireless headphones. I have different playlists for different parts of my workout which I switch between during my workout. I also like to scroll through songs to choose the one I want. This is available in the music app on the ionic but not during workouts. Please can you look at making this available as it is a real drawback on the ionic. Love my ionic and not having to take my phone with me into the gym but frustrated with the lack of functionality during workouts. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

108 Comments
Balsam
Base Runner

I've suggested this my self in another post. Fitbit should make it possible to access any other app while exercise. Musicplayer: Yes, we can change track but you still cant change your playlist while workout. To do that you have to cancel your workout completely, then change to your desired playlist. 

Another suggested function while workout: Swipe downward on screen to keep the display "on all the time" while workout. This is not possible. Its just lots of thing on the Ionic thats not ok at all. There should be many more features. Please Fitbit, learn something from Polar. 

Also, please let us chose GPS on or off when we chose a workout as walk or run. Its not always necessary to use the GPS while walking the same route. To save battery, we should be able to set this to off when starting the walk/exercise.

Next firmware update, we hope to see some new great features that makes the Ionic more useful. Thank you Fitbit for listening to your users.

mcclainryan33
First Steps
Great post!!! Your suggestions would help reduce the wonkiness so much!!!!
DCY14
Jogger

Would love to see this feature added! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Big mistake. Please urgently remedy.
Abstl6
First Steps

Yes i would love this for the versa. 

Xevver
Jogger

Agreed. I am very disappointed that I can't change playlist or activate music app while exercise app is playing. Please fix.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Xevver while I understand the playlist can nitnbe xhanged, the music app can be brought up simply by holding in the left button and swiping right. 

mcclainryan33
First Steps
Correct. But being able to access the music app doesn’t change the fact the it’s lame to be locked into 1 playlist or pandora or deezer channel while the exercise app is on. Shut off the exercise app just to change music?
Xevver
Jogger

There is a clear misunderstanding here. There is the music controls app and the watch music app. Yes, I can access the music controls app while the exercise app is active. But I cannot start the watch music app or access the app to change playlists while an exercise is being tracked. So here's what I cannot do right now:

- Activate exercise app, Tap Run, Tap Start

- Start Running

- After 30 min running, start listening to music on the watch

I don't always want to listen to music the entire time I'm running. And sometimes, I like to change what I'm listening to. For instance:

- Start listening to Podcast on phone

- Activate exercise app, Tap Run, Tap Start

- Start Running

- Podcast ends, switch to listening to music on watch

Perhaps pausing the activity would be OK to start the music app on the watch, but I don't want to stop it all together. As a runner, there is a big difference between one 60 min continuous run and two 30 min runs with a 1 min rest while I get music going on my watch. 

Paaaw
Jogger

Hi,

There should be more improvement on the music app, now there is no functionality to fast forward the music,

I like to listen to DJ sets which are sometimes 3 hours long but I can't fast forward them and when disconnecting the Bluetooth headphones the app doesn't remember where you stopped the music.

This is really annoying and should be a basic functionality.

Please improve this!

Kind regards,

Daigle
Jogger

this should definitely be changed.  I can access the music control fine during the workout, but it is not possible to change the playlist which is totally unacceptable.  Come on Fitbit, release a firmware to make this possible.

Kristinray7919
First Steps

I just got my versa ans i love it but i just realized i have no access to music player while in exercise to change the song i would have to finish the exercise . There should definitely be a way to use home button and pull up music controlswhile in exercise

GoKID
First Steps

Allow to access music or user preferred app via quick menu (long press on back button) while activity is in progress. It would be best to allow to configure quick menu action to allow user preferred music app (minimum of one and max number of partner apps).

potential user action:

1. User started the activity (like weights, workout), the activity is in progress

2. long press on back button, will pull the quick menu/ options

3. understand the status (no music is playing), allow the user configured music app(s) to start playing music

Issue: has to stop the activity and start music and start the activity back again

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, allow people to change playlists during exercise sessions! To be honest, I have a different playlist for each album (some 45 minutes long only), and I don't want to mix it with other albums of other artists.

Jimda
Stepping Up

Access a new playlist during workout without having to end a run and restart

Sszik
Jogger

This is a huge let down for such a costly device. Only realised this issue today. I sometimes run very long distances (for more than 2 hours). Do you expect me to listen to only one playlist during that time? This is a big issue pls sort it out and provide software update.

Daigle
Jogger
Any updates on this issue?

Sent from Samsung tablet.
Jimda
Stepping Up

There has very recently been a new update released that does not appear to address this issue, so I guess we are stuck with it.

Daigle
Jogger
Vivoactive 3 music is amazing.... Switching

Sent from my LG Mobile
GregCohen
Jogger
Switching to iWatch 4
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Since this request is asking to get access to the music app while in the exercise mode.

We need the option to move the exercise tracking to the background.

So for this request to get answered we first need to get the request to move exercise to the background.

Provide access to all IONIC functions while in EXERCISE APPS

Orion94
First Steps

I fully agree with this suggestion. Ionic watch is great, but not being able to change from one playlist to another during a workout is REALLY a HUGE disappointment. It should be, I think, a top priority for an upgrade.

Sincerely

geminiman7
Base Runner

I agree. This is utterly **ridiculous** that we can't access music controls while the exercise tracker is open. How can you (Fitbit) overlook such an EXPECTED option for a FITNESS TRACKER that supports MUSIC??? Many, many people like to listen to something while they workout. The music feature is one of the top 3 reason why I paid for my Ionic. 

I'm still upset about how long it takes to transfer 100 songs via WiFi only (the only option), as it takes 1 hour 20 minutes to transfer 111 songs from my computer. 

The Ionic is clearly still a BETA product and should not have been released to the masses with so many unresolved issues, which will take Fitbit another year (looking at Q4 2019 - Q2 2020) before they truly address the numerous issues. 

In a perfect world, I'm sure Fitbit could find a way to fix this by Q3 2019, but I doubt it SMH

EastBayRunner
First Steps

100% agree.  It's ridiculous that I can't switch music playlists or track forward once I start a workout.  Please fix this.  It can't be that hard.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The music functions your asking for are controlled by an app. 

If the following suggestion gets implemented, the ability to access music controls will also be implemented 

My thought would be to add your vote to

Access AppsDuringExercisetracking

Note we can not have one without the other. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.