Access to full music functions during workout tracking

I was disappointed to find that when I track exercise I cannot switch between playlists and choose specific songs as I can in the music app. The only functions currently available are fast forward, volume and device output (when you hold down the button) which are basic functions already on my wireless headphones. I have different playlists for different parts of my workout which I switch between during my workout. I also like to scroll through songs to choose the one I want. This is available in the music app on the ionic but not during workouts. Please can you look at making this available as it is a real drawback on the ionic. Love my ionic and not having to take my phone with me into the gym but frustrated with the lack of functionality during workouts. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

108 Comments
maddabooth
First Steps

Hi there, I just got the charge 4 for Christmas and am having the same issue. I went on a run expecting to be able to easily change songs with my Fitbit but I have to end the exercise in order to change a song, which seems silly. The only reason I would need to change a song with my Fitbit is because accessing my phone would be an inconvenience, which would only really happen during a workout. So I'm sort of wondering what advantage there is to having this Fitbit if my phone can do everything anyways. Is there any update on this? 

maddabooth
First Steps

Just bought the charge 4 and having the same issue. Thinking of returning it at this point because it seems way less useful to me at this point. Disappointed to see the lack of feedback on this drawn out issue as well. 

ChadWms
First Steps

No...they haven't addressed it or fixed it. All they're worried about is Google buying them. It would take a software developer about 27 minutes to write a program update to fix this issue but they just refuse to do it. Such bull**ahem** that they wont correct this gross oversight! Or even address the issue.

Bradshuu
Recovery Runner

@maddabooth i reported this back in April 2020, and this feature was apparently requested as early as September 2019. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like Fitbit has any interest in fixing this. I already returned mine in April and switched to Apple Watch and now Garmin. I keep getting emails when people update this thread and I’m really surprised this still hasn’t been addressed. I really liked the whole social aspect of Fitbit and was disappointed to have to stop using Fitbit, but they just don’t seem to have any interest in providing decent support. 

ChadWms
First Steps

Saw that...my request was in July. I've switched already too. They suck!

gerg92
First Steps

Not seen a response from a Fit Bit moderator on this in a while. Is this something that is in the pipeline?

Should absolutely be a feature - feels like it was designed by someone who doesn't use the product and so can't grasp how ridiculous it is not to be able to change songs when running....

ChadWms
First Steps

Nope, not a peep. Wont be either. Developed by a 700# wheelchair bound jackass who needs a crane to get on their feet, who's idea of exercise is using a fork to shovel food into their face! They'll never fix it!

HayleyR72
First Steps
Allow access to other apps whilst in exercise mode specifically Spotify
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @HayleyR72, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to make Spotify accessible during a trackable workout. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

2cookies
First Steps

I went running today and to my absolute disbelief I noticed I can't use the Spotify app whilst the Run app is on. To me, it's like having a watch that doesn't tell you the time. When I'm at home, casually listening to music, I can just use my phone to switch tracks etc., but when I'm running in the woods with my phone tacked away in a pocket, I'd like to use the app, please. I'm a web analyst myself and it deffo doesn't take 2 years to make this possible. Any update on this? 

camfit59
First Steps
Hello I remember seeing that Spotify was now compatible with Fitbit and I got so excited only to realise I can’t control the app whilst exercising. What’s the point then? Please allow Spotify controls whilst exercising.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @camfit59, thanks for sharing your idea about the option to make control the Spotify app whilst exercising. 

I've moved your idea here, since it's a similar suggestion. This helps to keep the forums for organized and obtain more votes for the ideas that are already posted. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

NickProsser43
First Steps
When you are in a workout, you cannot use any other app until that workout ends. It would be great if we could control apps like Spotify while a workout is going, so we can just change our music from our watch, rather than having to get my phone and control it from there.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @NickProsser43, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use Spotify when tracking an exercise. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

itchyeyeballs
First Steps

I've just purchased a Charge 4 and discovered the same issue. 

I suspect it's down to the underlying architecture of the FitBit system, great battery life at the expense of multitasking. That leads me to believe it's not something that will be fixable hence no sensible responses from FitBit.

Mines going back to the shop, I'll keep using my old Galaxy Sport watch, the terrible battery life on that is more bearable than a basic lack of functionality.

Deestanford
First Steps

I have just seen that spotify is accessible from fitbit. I too am disappointed you cant access it while tracking your workout. Is there anything in the cards to be able to download your Playlist to your tracker so we can use our spotify Playlist off line and in fitness mode. I don't like taking my phone on a run. 

Eaglenik
First Steps

I bought versa 3 about a week ago and I was really shocked to see that I cannot use spotify app during any workout tracking !!!!
There is obviously some serious limitations behind this problem but devs come on ! This is truly disappointing !
I see inside the forum that this is an ongoing problem so I am not holding my breath...
Hopefully joining forces with google will bring some seriously needed solutions...

ChildishBrandin
First Steps
I just bought the Fitbit Charge 4 and I am severely disappointed that you can't use the Spotify music controls while in an exercise. This is frustrating as the Spotify integration is one of the primary reasons I purchased this device. This should be a feature, it is a no-brainer, and the current user experience is awful.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ChildishBrandin, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to access to full music functions during workout tracking. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

sambutnotwise
First Steps
Let us control music during workout mode
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @sambutnotwise, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to control music during workout mode. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

You might be also interested in this other suggestion: Access Apps/features During Exercise tracking.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Kanaenae
Walker
Currently, if you want to control Spotify during an exercise you need to stop the exercise before you can control it. This is counterintuitive since most people listen to music while exercising and needing to stop an exercise to control it defeats the music controls.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Kanaenae, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to access the Spotify app while tracking your workouts with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

IonaTu
First Steps
While excercising, Spotify cannot be used from the Sense watch. You can listen to music while running, but if you want to open Spotify while running for example, to change the music list, then Fitbit says you can lose all the excercise data if you exit the running app. And you do lose if you exit and go to spotify. This does not make any sense.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @IonaTu, thanks for taking the time to explain why you'd like to have access to all music functions such as Spotify while exercising with us. It seems this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.