Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs, Active Mins

It would be nice to have different types of challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in. 

For instance, the number of active minutes in a day, loss challenge, calories, water consumption. Some activities don't count steps such as cycling, skiing or skateboard.  I would like to be able to compete against my friends while doing other activities.  

Moderator edit: Word choice

1,017 Comments
cybercress
Jogger

Yeah I would like that kind of challange but I'm not apt to do it if I have to message it manually.

Just for fun, I thought it would be cool to set up a challenge for most active minutes with the least amount of steps; kinda flip the script on the steps thing. 

Vespertinebloom
First Steps
We hate messaging it manually, but the Fitbit doesn't have one set that we can use
Graveling
Jogger

This would be an awesome feature! I burn 1000 calories at the gym most mornings and while my overall calorie burn is high, steps are low. Kinda sucks when you are in a challenge and spend an hour at the gym plus have to do an extra couple of hours cardio (which can be detrimental to a good weights workout).

I hope fitbit look seriously at this idea!

kecrow
First Steps

I would love it if you could add active minutes along with the 7 day step count to the friends page. We love the friendly competition and motivation of having our whole family connected. But, if I choose to do yoga and not run one day, my step count falls behind and I look lame even though I did a "non-step" exercise for an hour. Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Labels

ljatkins84
First Steps

Could you set up any challenges that are based on something other than steps?  Calories or active minutes or something like that?  I run, but on days I don't run, I'll do crossfit or something similar and always get my calorie count without having to hit my step count for the day.  Thanks!

jeffsnowcow
Stepping Up

Come on FitBit, make this happen?

Loman
Jogger
They should set up challenges for calories burned in a day/weekend. Calories burned is a better indication of effort put out throughout the day/weekend then just steps taken. What are your thoughts?
Clumsy526
First Steps
I have a desk job which makes a steps challenge even more challenging. I do however workout everyday and blow away my active minutes goal... That would be a great option!
Tomchiew
First Steps
Total steps competition seems can be manipulate with fake steps...it will be great if we can have total floors competition which seems more challenging and harder fake floors...so can work out floors competitions instead of steps competition only on your fitbit software?
Rbwasser
First Steps

With the various fitbits measuring distance, steps, hr, etc. only measuring steps in challenges is not adequately correlating work.

Steps taken at a walking pace and those at a running pace are different. Not to mention when riding a bike. Those steps are not quantified.

Challenges should be accounted by using calories burned. If the surge does not calculated your ride into steps although it tracks via gps. There should be a way to equilibrate the work of a bike ride vs a run hike work out etc.

Standardizing to burned calories should fix this problem.

This way I don't have to put my expensive surge on my ankle to keep up with my friends who run.

NCBeth1
Jogger

I would love to have an alarm feature for tabata training or HIIT excercises, so that you could set the alarm for every 30 seconds or every minute while doing these exercises.

Watsontj
First Steps
Request that a floors challenge be added to the Fitbit application to challenge others specifically on the amount of stairs done in a day, week, month, etc...
kiosk
Jogger

I just suggested the same stair climb challenge and was told to vote on the suggestion if it's already here.  This has my voite. 

kaspa
Keeping Pace

This would encourage prople to take the stairs more often. Also for people who can not win step challenges against friends they might be able to outdo them in floors.

goodegg333
First Steps

Yes! Floors! Floors! Floors!

Vsesilu
First Steps
My suggestion is simple, have a challenge that's based around active minutes not just step count.
Sourasis
First Steps
Yes. I am looking exactly for this. Whats the point if I have to lose all my energy in running just to participate in a challenge, while I also do Yoga and other exercises.
fraserkr
Base Runner

I like the idea of this but calories burned would always be higher for a male of average height.  

a short female like myself would have to exercise longer or with more intensity to burn as many calories.

Sourasis
First Steps
well, then the comparison can be made fair including the height in comparison...
Sourasis
First Steps
i mean compute calories burnt normalized by the height/sex etc..
BreThomas
Jogger
As a Breast Cancer I am always tracking active minutes, my goal use to be 150 minutes a week but now it is 200! I would love to have that on my tracker, like we use to, and I would love this as a challenge!
jcrockett44
First Steps

I concur with kaspa.

Egrind
Jogger

So all challenges are based on steps. I would like to see a challenge based on Active minutes. I may not get the most steps in a day, I feel as if active minutes are just as important!

Watsontj
First Steps

I agree.  Maybe Fitbit will add that challenge to the list of challenges.  @Fitbit

kaspa
Keeping Pace

The more people we can get to like this idea, the better chance we have of
it happening. If this made people take the stairs all day instead of the
lift it would be amazing.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.