Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs, Active Mins

It would be nice to have different types of challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in. 

For instance, the number of active minutes in a day, loss challenge, calories, water consumption. Some activities don't count steps such as cycling, skiing or skateboard.  I would like to be able to compete against my friends while doing other activities.  

Moderator edit: Word choice

1,017 Comments
jnwamanna
First Steps

Yes, please do!

David81
First Steps

A Stair / Floor climb challenge definitely needs to be added!

It should include the same options as the step challenge; Goal Day, Weekend Warrior, Daily Showdown, and Workweek Hustle.

I realize not everyone has the opportunity or wants to climb stairs so as an alternative, I propose that at least it would be cool to be able to include a stair climb count within the regular step challenges e.g. I'm in a regular step challenge 'Work Week Hustle' and there would not only be a count of everyone's steps but also how many floors they've climbed, like a sub-challenge within a challenge... I dunno just an idea.

DanHamm
First Steps
This is a great idea. Also is so important to our health. To challenge eachother to get more sleep in this busy world is a good thing
DanHamm
First Steps
This much better than step challenges. I do much more than take steps to get fit.
Nix79
First Steps

Would really love challenges on active minutes I am a runner my partner is a cyclist so this woul dbe a lot more motivating for us. Please put this on

GeorgiaL
Recovery Runner

I want to log my very active and my "active" minutes separately.  I miss the breakdown on the dashboard tile.

Status changed to: New
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@Linda64 This is a cool idea! I definitely like the idea of competing against friends based on the intensity of workouts.

I will be sure to relay your feedback onto the team for further review. Thanks for posting on the Feature Request Board!

vvvvvvvvv
First Steps
Please make a challenge which compares distance covered as well as steps. Not everyone has the same stride so steps wont be comparable
BSB51
Recovery Runner

Active minutes are far more important to me than steps. I have my bike rides come over from Strava and I log my yoga classes manually, but on the dashboard it looks as though I've been slacking off on those days.

Also, if it was a real goal, I could see my average over a custom perios of time, not just the last 28 days. I want to lower my blood pressure and report my activity time back to my doctor - steps don't tell her the whole picture.

You're already recording the information and showing it in certain ways - it shouldn't be hard to add it as a goal. Thanks for your consideration!

JustJFerg
Recovery Runner
I do a lot more than just walk/run. Things like hiking (of which my fitbit misses roughly 50% of my elevation and 30% of my steps), swimming and biking are all activities I can manually track but don't result in 'steps'.

On my friends tab where we are all ranked by our steps, I'd also like to see 'active minutes' as a stat next to it. For example it would look like this: 95,525/700

I'd also like to see my active minutes added to my email weekly stats.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SilviaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@nicC I totally love this idea because the best part of exercising is that you should burn as many calories as you can. Hope they can make it possible. 

Thank you for visiting the Feature Request board! 

m3osu
First Steps

It would be awesome if challenges could be related to something other than steps.

More specifically, I'd really enjoy the ability to create floor challenges with my friends.  I realize this would exclude owners of the basic fitbits that don't count floors, but it'd be a fun alternative challenge for the other fitbit owners.

AnneMargar
Recovery Runner

I am currently in a fitbit step challenge with a number of friends which is great, but.....

I am really focused on increasing the amount of sleep I get (really the weekly average overall) as well as the most restful sleep. Can fitbit create a Sleep Challenge that we can participate in?

Thanks!

Anne-Margaret

Anita37
First Steps

I would really like to see an "active minutes" challenge in  addition to the step challenge and the goal challenge.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LucyAP
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@amarquart That's a great idea! Thanks for your suggestion about sleep challenges!

Hopefully this will be implemented in the future, so keep voting!

Robynsmom07
First Steps
I, as well as others I have spoken to, would like to see a calorie burn challenge. While steps are great, I could spend an hour riding a bike intensely, but it won't mean anything in a step challenge
PureEvil
10K Racer

This is interesting though ultimately not as fair as a step challenge...

Caloric burn is a function of body weight, someone who is heavier does not have to work as hard to burn the same number of calories.  For instance, I weight over 100 pounds more than my wife, who is also on Fitbit.  Comparing two days where we were within 100 steps of each other (and similarly worked out in the morning):

Her: 13374 steps, 2253 calories

Me: 13298 steps, 3616 calories

The idea behind counting steps is that one step is a similar amount of work for everyone.

CarterEdwards
First Steps
This is not a typical support request... I was wondering if there was a way to have a "challenge" with friends that would be based on "active minutes"...

The reason I would like this is to have a contest that measures all active minutes, mainly because many of my active minutes aren't measurable by steps... Riding a stationary bike isn't measurable with steps. Nor is lifting weights..

let me know if you have any ideas!
CarterEdwards
First Steps
This is not a typical support request... I was wondering if there was a way to have a "challenge" with friends that would be based on "active minutes"...

The reason I would like this is to have a contest that measures all active minutes, mainly because many of my active minutes aren't measurable by steps... Riding a stationary bike isn't measurable with steps. Nor is lifting weights..

let me know if you have any ideas!
henton76
First Steps
Hi there,

Would it be possible to add a 'floors challenge' which you could invite friends to? Maybe there could be an icon next to friends names showing if their Fitbit is compatible (I know not all models tracks floors climbed), and you cod challenge these friends to see who climbs the most floors in a day, or a week. This might encourage more people to opt for the stairs instead of getting in a lift or hopping on an escalator.

Thanks for reading!

Tara
henton76
First Steps
Hi there,

Would it be possible to add a 'floors challenge' which you could invite friends to? Maybe there could be an icon next to friends names showing if their Fitbit is compatible (I know not all models tracks floors climbed), and you could challenge these friends to see who climbs the most floors in a day, or a week. This might encourage more people to opt for the stairs instead of getting in a lift or hopping on an escalator.

Thanks for reading!

Tara
michellestorm
Jogger

I agree. I have a long stride & have to walk twice as far as my friends

annschmech
Base Runner

Just want to add my vote for creating floor challenges! 

tabbitha117
First Steps
It will motivate people to take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. Plus I do way more floors than anything.
tabbitha117
First Steps
Please make a floors challenge
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.