Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense won't connect to WiFi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

PXL_20201108_214727308-01.jpeg

 Hello, I'm using my brand new Sense for about 2 weeks purchased via Amazon. Even on first setup I wasn't able to add any Wi-Fi network. Even adding it manually I wasn't able to connect. Updating the firmware through Bluetooth took really long and failed several times showing the big red "X". Every time I tried to search for Wi-Fi network through Fitbit app my Sense showed the WiFi logo without connection and restarted ultimately. Doing factory reset didn't helped. 

Any solution?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

In case anyone searching for a solution to the Sense not connecting to WiFi problem comes across this thread - all I can say is VPN. I was having the same problem and was ready to smash my new Sense to smithereens after trying to get it to connect for two days. It finally hit me to try disabling the VPN on my phone. Voila! Instantly connected to WiFi! Before you return your Fitbit Sense in frustration over this issue, try turning off the VPN if it's enabled. Good luck! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue, Fitbit gunna be losing lots of customers with this malarkey

Best Answer

I’ve tried everything everyone listed on this thread in addition to two chats and two phone calls this morning with tech support! This is absolutely ridiculous! I even returned one and got another because I figured something HAD TO BE WRONG WITH IT! but this second one is doing the exact same thing! Ive had a Fitbit Versa for the last 3 years or so with no issues! Just wanted an upgrade - that does not seem to be the case.  May be time to switch to Apple.  I was so excited about all these features too.  If anyone comes up with a real solution on how to get the sense to connect to WiFi and actually install; PLEASE do share!! 

Best Answer
It is ridiculous, isn't it? What type of network are you trying to connect
to? 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? Which security algorithm are you using?
Best Answer

I have no VPN connected on my iPhone and STILL have the same problem!!!

Best Answer

NO VPN here and no luck getting my Fitbit to ever connect.  Now I've used up my Free "Trial" and I doubt I'll ever get another Fitbit.  It's useless to me since it won't connect, I can't get the readings for the O2 which is what I bought it for and I do most of my exercise in a pool. 

Best Answer

Same here! We got two, one for myself and my wife and both are behaving exactly the same! 45 mins with Fitbit tech support made zero difference. Luckily, we bought from Amazon so they can easily be returned, but SO disappointed!

Did you ever get yours to work, Melissa?

Best Answer

I realize the Sense only supports 2.4 GHz (which in itself is a bad sign!). My 2.4 G network was only set up to support 802.11n so I changed it to support all the way back to 802.11b and STILL no connection!

I’ve also read posts that suggest it won’t connect with AES encryption but when I asked tech support directly about this, they said that was false. Regardless, I won’t be compromising my entire network’s security by dumbing down to TKIP just to satisfy the Fitbit Sense!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit has the worst setup process. It is always a pain. I'm having a seriously hard time getting the Wi-Fi to connect during setup.

Best Answer

You may never get it working. I still can't even when I was staying at a location with less secure wifi, I was unsuccessful.

Best Answer

I had this very same issue as I just got my tracker today.  In order for anyone who just picked up a new Watch, note that NONE of the fitbit watches work with anything other than 2.4, and their encryption cannot be great.  Unfortunately this means ANY new router that's got updated code will prevent your FitBit tracker from connecting properly.  While it's not ideal, here is how I bypassed this. 

Note:  This is ONLY to update the smart watch when you first get it and configure it.  

• In my router, I created a new WiFi guest network with absolutely NO encryption what-so-ever.  This allows me to bypass any and all encryption issues on the system.   IF you're able to, isolate this network from your home network to prevent any cross talk (for those who at least try to take network security seriously). 
  • Rebooted my phone (iPhone 8 Plus), rebooted the smart watch, and removed it from the fitbit app and blutooth.
  • Connected my phone to the Guest network, then re-set up the fitbit.  The Fitbit was able to connect to the Guest network and pull down the update. 
  • Once this is done, remove / disable / burn to the ground the Guest network, and remove that from both your phone and device.  

If I come across another method to get this to connect I will update here. 

Fitbit - this isn't acceptable.  Your devices MUST start to accept current WiFi standards.  By not doing this, you risk losing market share to other watches that actually accomodate this.  I have a fairly advanced router as I actually take network security seriously, and it's off putting for you to think that these devices should be working on technology that went out of date 2 years ago.  

Best Answer

I will note - after the initial guest connection, I was able to remove the wifi network, and connect my FitBit to my normal wifi network.  Not sure if there has been an update to the firmware of the watches during this time, but it did connect only after the first update. 

Best Answer

Same problem here with two Versa 2s and two Sense watches. Always had the problem and it's happened with two different routers. I think it's a problem with the watch but they won't admit it.

Best Answer

Even today in April 2023 I have been experiencing exactly the same issue. I was wondering if all issues started coming up once Google acquire Fitbit!! 

In April 2023 I have been experiencing the same WiFi issue! It was connected twice, but no luck further. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Tambooh - just wondering why you want to connect to WiFi as it's normally not needed?

In any case it won't stay connected to WiFi as it uses too much battery.

If you are having a syncing issue see Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The O2 feature only works if you are connected to Wifi.  You also need to connect to wifi to change faces.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Issues have been ongoing and Neither Fitbit nor Google give two hoots! They got your money and you got screwed!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @belovedbyHim - you don't need watch WiFi for using SpO2 or changing clock face, only Bluetooth, but your phone will need a sustainable internet connection in order to communicate with the Fitbit servers where the data is processed, at least for SpO2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wish that was true, but it is not.  I followed all the set up instructions and NEVER got the SPO2 feature to work despite the fact that my phone was and is connected to the internet.  I even had to create a "Dumb" network to try and get it to work.  I finally went to an "Unsecure" wifi location and had to expose my phone to download the faces, but it Never worked for the SPO2. Not on any network, Not mine, Not my parents old minimal secure network, not the unsecure hotel network I tried for 2 weeks.... It is a failed feature and requiring that I use the "Dumb" wifi to send updates over my phone's bluetooth is ridiculous for a device that cost as much as this one did!  I works as a step tracker and a watch, sort of (As long as you don't mind charging it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY) but I will make a better choice when this one finally gives up the ghost.  Not everyone can afford to throw away $250.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@belovedbyHim- did you check your phone settings even though it has an internet connection? - this link may help No internet connection 

Best Answer
0 Votes